This shipyard was on the north bank of the River Clyde. Scotstoun Iron Works was to the west and North British Engine Works to the east. It was the yard of Charles Connell and Company.
Connell had worked in other shipyards before setting up on his own. This yard was developed in countryside downstream of Glasgow, it was part of a trend which would lead to the development of Clydebank. The yard was about a mile east of Scotstoun House. Victoria Park was to the north, at the time it was not surrounded with housing but largely in the countryside.
It was served by the Whiteinch Tramway, a street tramway which ran from the Whiteinch Railway (1874) down Scotstoun Street to the works. (There were further lines then running east along to serve other works such as Clydeholm Shipbuilding Yard and Wylie and Lochhead's paperstaining and cabinet works and sawmill).
The yard survived the change from wooden to iron ships.
With the opening of the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway a second connection opened to the yard. This approached from Scotstoun West Junction yard running from the west to reach the yard.
The yard became part of Upper Clyde Shipbuilders in 1968, closed in 1971, and became independent again in 1972. Closure came in 1980.
The site was cleared and is now in a number of industrial uses. Berths are still visible from the river.
Whiteinch Victoria Park
King George V Dock Platform
Scotstoun Show Yard
Hyndland Power Box
| Scotstoun Goods|
North British Engine Works
Scotstoun Iron Works
Clydeside Iron Works
King George V Dock
Harland and Wolff Engineering Works
Albion Motor Works
Clydeholm Shipbuilding Yard
Blythswood Shipbuilding Yard
Shieldhall Co-operative Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|