Powderhall Branch Junction

Location type

Junction


Names and dates

Piershill Junction (1868-1988)
Powderhall Branch Junction (1988-)

Opened on the North British Railway.

Opened on the Easter Road Deviation (North British Railway).


Description

This is the junction for the disused line to the Powderhall Destructor. Approach was from the east.

It was the eastern junction of a triangle of junctions leading to Granton and North Leith and the end of a loop line from Abbeyhill Junction.

The branch line was original double track. The junction was originally between two double track lines. The signal box was on the north side of the junction. Just to the west on the main line was St Margarets Shed and on the branch line Piershill station.

The junction was rebuilt in 1909 when the route east to Craigentinny Carriage Sidings was quadrupled. With this the line from Edinburgh Waverley was quadruple track as far as Portobello East Junction when improvements were completed. The northern pair of lines were goods lines and the southern passenger and goods.

The signal box was replaced with a larger building, also on the north side. The branch line became a quadruple track on the approach to the junction with two new lines laid to the north of the existing lines going east. Just to the east of the junction the main line connected to the new tracks eastbound.

The signal box was closed in 1966.

The main line is now double track only.


Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map