Luib

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Luib (1873-1965)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the eastbound platform, the building being of the typical style of the extension of the Callander and Oban Railway from Glenoglehead to Tyndrum [1st].

There was a goods yard to the west, on the north side of the line, reached from the west. The station had a small signal box, more of a covered frame, at the west end.

East of the station began the climb to Killin Junction to the west the route was level to Crianlarich. It was not unknown for westbound goods trains to indulge in some racing.

Station cottages remain, the infilled platforms can be traced and there is a base of a water tank. The site is now the Glen Dochart Holiday Park . To the east of the former station is the Luib Hotel.

Another similarly named location, Luib Crossing (or Loan Crossing), was located on the Dingwall and Skye Railway west of Achnasheen.

Local

Luib Hotel

05/12/2018

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map