Tyndrum [1st]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Tyndrum [1st] (1873-1877)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was the terminus at Tyndrum of the extension of the Callander and Oban Railway west from Killin [1st].

The station had a single platform, on the north side, goods sidings just to the south and south of that the engine shed and turntable which were moved here from Killin [1st].

With the opening of the railway, the lead mines tramway now ran to the station, rather than the Glengarry Lead Smelter which was just to the east.

Clifton, just to the north of the station, was where the roads to Oban and Fort William divided making the location for the terminus a good location, pending extension further west to Oban.

This station became the goods yard for its replacement, built just to the south, on extension of the line to Dalmally in 1877. The site remained in use for goods until 1966. In recent years a pair of houses have been erected on the site of the passenger terminus but a loading bank remains intact in the former goods yard, now a campsite with wooden huts. Tyndrum by the way

05/12/2018

Tags

Terminus Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map