Tyndrum Lower

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Tyndrum [CandO] (1877-1953)
Tyndrum Lower (1953-)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.

Open on the West Highland Line.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This is a single platform station.

It was a double track station with two platforms, built to replace Tyndrum [1st], just to the north, which became a goods yard. The station opened with the extension west from Tyndrum to Dalmally.

The station building on the up platform was similar to that at Luib, later replaced with a somewhat drab brick and concrete flat roofed structure.

The original signal box, dating from the extension, was replaced with a new one nearer the east end of the down (westbound) platform in 1891. This was similar to the disused box which survives at Dalmally.

At the west end of the station was a loading bank on the north side of the line, approached from the east. This was supplemented by more sidings on the south side of the line. Both sets were removed in the 1950s.

In 1953 'Lower' was added to the name by British Railways to distinguish the station from the station on the West Highland Railway.

At the east end of the passenger loop was a goods loop and the Tyndrum Goods Ground Frame, the arrangements of the junction with the original terminus varying over the years. The goods closed in 1966.

The down loop closed in 1969 and box removed.

The West Highland Way passes close by the station. This may be followed north to Bridge of Orchy or south to Crianlarich.

05/12/2018

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map