Tyndrum Goods Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Tyndrum Goods Junction (1877-1949)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.


Description

[This location name is somewhat artificial.] In 1877 the railway was extended west to Dalmally via a replacement Tyndrum station (now called Tyndrum Lower) and the original Tyndrum [1st] station became a goods yard and its signal box [1st box] closed. A new box was provided for the goods and passenger station [2nd box].

A new box was opened, further west at the second station, in 1891 [3rd box] and a ground frame installed at the entry to the goods yard. In addition to the passenger loop at the new station there was also a continuation of this to the east to form a goods loop from which the goods yard was reached via a headshunt.

The goods loop was later removed, the headshunt for the goods yard running parallel to the main track for some way east of the station. With this arrangement a goods train could no longer enter the goods yard directly from the east.

The goods yard was closed, along with many on the line, in 1966.

12/08/2019

Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map