Lochailort

Lochailort

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Lochailort (1901-)

Opened on the Mallaig Extension (West Highland Railway).

Open on the West Highland Line.


Description

This is a single platform station. It was a two platform station similar to both Glenfinnan and Arisaig.

All the original buildings and the small goods yard have been lost. The main station building, of typical 'Extension' style such as those at Glenfinnan and Arisaig, was on the westbound platform. There was a relatively modern signal box here, the loop having been extended in the Second World War. The box closed in 1966.

Only the westbound platform remains, in use for both directions. There is a very limited amount of parking available here.

Despite its present reduced status, it was not an unimportant station, being the railhead of the Moidart peninsula (where Roshven is located, at one time the intended western terminus of the line). The station served the nearby Lochailort House which was used extensively in Commando training in the Second World War. (The Lochailort Estate had a second station, a shooting halt, at Lech-a-vuie Platform).

There are a number of hotels here and this is the first time the line reaches the true western seaboard, although it continues to Mallaig to reach a port.

At 23.67 miles from Banavie Junction [2nd] this station is just over half way along the line.

Local

Lochailort House is half a mile to the south.

The Lochailort Inn is just to the south at the road junction between the road from Fort William to Mallaig and that south to Roshven and beyond. Lochailort Inn

The former Polnish Chapel is about a mile to the west on the south side of the line.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map