Beasdale

Beasdale

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Beasdale (1901-)

Opened on the Mallaig Extension (West Highland Railway).

Open on the West Highland Line.


Description

This is a single platform station. The building adjoining the station is a railwayman's house, in a style typical of such buildings on the line. There is a timber waiting room on the platform.

There was a siding on the north side of the line to the immediate west, now lifted.

The station was built for Arisaig House which is about a mile west and slightly closer to this station than Arisaig. (It is now Arisaig House Hotel .) The station was advertised from 1965 but did handle local traffic from the line opening.

To the east is Beasdale No 119 Tunnel. To the west is Borrodale Tunnel.

Even closer is Beasdale Bridge, a girder bridge over the A830, is west of the station. It is a pinch point on that road, requiring traffic lights for the one lane road.

28.49 miles from Banavie Junction [2nd].

Local

Princes Charles Edward Stuart left Scotland from the shore of Loch nan Uamh in 1746 after the unsuccessful Jacobite uprising. The The Prince's Cairn was built in 1956 by the 1745 Association. The cairn is over a mile away to the east by road. See also Glenfinnan Monument.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map