Arisaig

Arisaig

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Arisaig (1901-)

Opened on the Mallaig Extension Railway (West Highland Railway).

Open on the West Highland Line.


Description

This is a two platform station with a passing loop. The original station buildings still stand, the larger on the down (Mallaig bound) platform. The signal box ('B listed) still stands at the Fort William end of the station. There is a goods siding, now in use for permanent way, access from the down loop by reversal. There is no footbridge, crossing between the platforms is by barrow crossing.

A number of station cottages remain. The station has bee severed from the village by the Arisaig bypass.

This is the furthest west station in mainland Britain, further west than Penzance.

Arisaig station has been adopted by the Arisaig Community Trust .

Local

The Traigh Golf Course , the most westerly on mainland Britain and with the small isles as a backdrop, is about two miles to the north.

Arisaig Hotel

Arisaig House is about two and a half miles to the east, closer to Beasdale station.

10/12/2018

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Facilities

Gaelic name: Àrasaig