Banavie

Banavie

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Banavie (1901-)

Opened on the Mallaig Extension (West Highland Railway).

Open on the West Highland Line.


Description

This is a single platform station. At the north end of the platform is Banavie Swing Bridge and the modern signalling centre, built in the style of a signal box. Unfortunately the West Highland extension style station building (similar to those at Glenfinnan and Arisaig has been demolished.

To the north, over the swing bridge, was Tomonie Signal Box and to the south Banavie Junction [2nd].

The original signal box here, 'Banavie Canal Bridge', operated the level crossing and the swing bridge. The block posts were at Tomonie Signal Box and Banavie Junction [2nd] at the insistence of the Board of Trade who had the box chiefly control the swing bridge. With the closure of Tomonie Signal Box it became a block post.

During construction of the new signalling centre the old box remained intact, just to the north. The new building is considerably larger. It is often described as in the style of an Victorian signal box or similar to the original timber signal box. The former has some truth, it's a matter of opinion, the latter is inaccurate.

To the south of the station is a level crossing with barriers where Kilmallie Road crosses the line.

0.22 miles from Banavie Junction [2nd].

Local

To the east is Neptune's Staircase, a series of connected locks on the Caledonian Canal.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67