Inverkeithing South Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Inverkeithing South Junction (1890-)

Opened on the Dunfermline and Queensferry Railway.

Opened on the Forth Bridge Railway.


Description

This junction is south of Inverkeithing station. Lines to the Forth Bridge and Rosyth Dockyard divide here. The signal box here closed in 1972, control being taken over by Inverkeithing Central Junction signal box.

The box was on the west side of the original 1877 line, located at the north of Inverkeithing [1st] station. On its west side were the goods yard lines and beyond that the main line to the Forth Bridge.

The original line south had been single track. From 1912 it also served Rosyth Dockyard. It was doubled in 1917.

The original line south was singled in 1964.

Just to the east, over the Keithing Burn, is the Boreland Road Bridge over the Halbeath Waggonway (opened ~1783 and largely closed 1867 with this portion converted to a railway for a brick works in 1877). The trackbed is now a footpath.


Tags

Junction