Patterton: Patterton station. 2.6.4T 42201 on Uplawmoor train.
Patterton: Caley 'Jumbo' 57307 ambles through Patterton on Saturday 16 July 1949 with a short goods train.
Musselburgh: V2 no 60959 on the eastern approaches to Musselburgh with a down train on the ECML in July 1955. The train is about to pass below the bridge carrying Whitehill Farm Road, after which it will run through the site of the modern day Musselburgh station (though that would not be built for another 33 years). On the right are the former freight lines that left the ECML at Monktonhall Junction (in the distance) and ran to Wanton Walls Junction. From there the direct Lothian Lines route continued north to Leith Docks, with a spur turning left to reach Niddrie West Junction (and the sub). [See image 4546].
Musselburgh: One of Haymarket's finest, no 60011 'Empire of India', sweeps through Musselburgh on 16 July 1955 carrying the headboard of the down Flying Scotsman. On the right the freight lines from Monktonhall Junction climb towards the camera.
Musselburgh: A3 Pacific no 60091 Captain Cuttle has just passed Monktonhall Junction in the summer of 1955 and is approaching the site of the 1988 Musselburgh station with an ECML service bound for Waverley. [Editors note: Michael Laing tells me that the second and probably third vehicles in this train are ex-GCR 'Barnum' open thirds, built in 1910 and seating 64 in two 4-bay open saloons. According to the GCR rolling stock trust website the last examples of these coaches were withdrawn in 1958.]
Musselburgh: A3 Pacific no 60096 Papyrus approaching Musselburgh with a down ECML Waverley-bound train in July 1955. On the right are the freight lines climbing from Monktonhll Junction heading for Wanton Walls.
Musselburgh: A southbound train on the ECML runs through the site of (33 years later) the modern day Musselburgh station in the summer of 1955 behind Gateshead A1 Pacific no 60132 Marmion. The photograph was taken from the north side of the bridge carrying Whitehill Farm Road. [See image 8476]
Kirkton: BR Standard tank 80029 passing Kirkton on 16 July 1955 with a train for Aberdeen.
Musselburgh: Gresley K3 2-6-0 no 61904 takes an up train through Musselburgh in the summer of 1955.
Fraserburgh: 80021 arrives at Fraserburgh on 16 July 1955 with a train from Aberdeen.
Musselburgh: K3 2-6-0 no 61882 takes a train south past the site of the present day Musselburgh station on 16 July 1955. The train is a Saturday morning 'Starlight Special' relief working. The Carlisle Canal based locomotive will presumably take the train as far as Newcastle before returning home via the N&C.
Musselburgh: View east from Whitehill Farm Road bridge, Musselburgh, in 1955 as Haymarket V2 no 60951 approaches with a down ECML service. The freight-only lines to Wanton Walls Junction are on the right having come off the main line at Monktonhall Junction. [See image 29552]
Castle Douglas: Stanier 3P 2-6-2T 40170 approaching Castle Douglas on 16 July 1956 with a train off the Kirkcudbright branch. [Ref query 24]
Dumfries: A down freight runs through Dumfries on 16 July 1956 hauled by BR Standard class 3 2-6-0 77018.
Dunragit: The Girvan Goods at Dunragit on 16 July 1956. Stranraer 2P 4-4-0 40616 pilots Corkerhill based Standard class 5 4-6-0 73100.
Creetown: Compound 40920 arrives at Creetown on 16 July 1956 with a Stranraer - Dumfries train.
Dumfries: Jubilee 45562 Alberta approaching Dumfries on 16 July 1956 with the 4pm train from St Enoch.
Dunragit: BR Standard light Pacific no 72009 Clan Stewart brings the 7.25am Stranraer - Glasgow train over Dunragit level crossing on 16 July 1956.
Dumfries: One of Dumfries shed's Jumbo 0-6-0s no 57349 stands in the bay in the summer of 1956 with a local train for Kirkcudbright.
Urr Viaduct: Jubilee 45724 Warspite photographed just west of Dalbeattie heading for Dumfries with the up midday 'Paddy' on 16 July 1956. The train has just crossed the River Urr on Urr Viaduct. [Ref query 28 October 2017]
Kirkgunzeon: Black 5 45163 passing Kirkgunzeon on 16 July 1956 with the down 'Midday Paddy'. [Ref query 263]
Newton Stewart: 40623+45432 photographed shortly after leaving Newton Stewart on 16 July 1956 with a train for Dumfries. [Ref query 1660]
Stranraer Shed: A general view of Stranraer shed on 16 July 1956. Locomotives in the photograph are noted as Jubilee 45704 Leviathan, Black 5 45432, 2P 40616 and Compound 41132. The first two were Carlisle Kingmoor engines, with the 4-4-0s locally based.
Nith Viaduct: 'Jumbo' 57349 crossing the Nith with a Dumfries - Kirkcudbright train in the summer of 1956.
Castle Douglas: Compound 40920 stands at Castle Douglas on 16 July 1956 with a train for Dumfries.
Castle Douglas: 40170 comes off the Kirkcudbright branch under Ernespie Road bridge and into Castle Douglas station on a wet Monday in July 1956. The train is a stopping service for Dumfries.
Perth: George Carnegie prepares to drive his Vauxhall Wyvern onto The Anglo-Scottish Car Carrier during loading at Perth in July 1956. Launched between Perth and London (Holloway) the previous year, this was the first of the services in what eventually became the BR Motorail network. [See image 4643]
Stranraer Town: BR light Pacific 72009 Clan Stewart prepares to leave Stranraer Town on 16 July 1956 with the 7.25 service to Glasgow St Enoch.
Castle Douglas: View west towards Castle Douglas station on 16 July 1956 as Stanier 2-6-2T 40170 leaves with a train for Dumfries.
Newton Stewart: 2P 40623 with Black 5 45432 at Newton Stewart on 16 July 1956 with the 10.58 am ex-Stranraer.
Creetown: 'Jumbo' 0-6-0 57362 tackles the 1 in 80 gradient out of Creetown on 16 July 1956 at the head of a Newton Stewart - Castle Douglas freight.
Dumfries: Royal Scot 46145 The Duke of Wellington's Regt. (West Riding) with the down 'Thames Clyde Express' at Dumfries on 16 July 1956.
Dumfries: Black 5 44675 approaching Dumfries on 16 July 1961 with a St Enoch - Carlisle semi-fast.
Forth Bridge: Two pre-1955 Modernisation Plan liveried coaches stand out on a northbound train crossing the Forth Bridge on 16th July 1961. The north tower of the emerging road bridge can be glimpsed in the background.
North Queensferry: Train versus ferry. View from North Queensferry on 16 July 1961.
Sanquhar: A Dumfries - St Enoch train calls at Sanquhar on 16 July 1961 behind Black 5 45010.
Forth Bridge: A class 08 edges a 'painters train' across the Forth Bridge in July 1961.
Inverkeithing South Junction: A V2 makes a stormy start on the 1 in 70 climb from Inverkeithing to North Queensferry on 16th July 1961.
Forth Bridge: A northbound 6-car DMU on the Forth Bridge on 16th July 1961, with the towers of the under-construction road bridge visible through the mist. The DMU is about to pass a class 08 with a 'painters train' [see image 27855].
Craigenhill: Kingmoor Black 5 45259 just west of Craigenhill on 16 July 1965 with a down parcels train.
Gordon: Leaving Gordon with the last freight on 16 July 1965, having cadged a lift in the cab to Greenlaw.
Earlston: Members of the crew of the last freight pose with a small group of family and friends at Earlston station on 16 July 1965. The lady and gentleman on the right are Jock and Nessie Craw who lived in the 'Crossing House' at the East End of the village. Jock was a linesman and his wife operated the crossing gates. The gentleman holding the child is Stationmaster Norman Jaffray. The child is Colin Craw, son of Jock and Jessie. [With thanks to Sheila McKay, Auld Earlston]
Craigenhill: 70003 climbs to Craigenhill with a Crewe - Perth train.
Earlston: The level crossing to the east of Earlston station, seen here on 16 July 1965, as the crossing gates are opened by the second man to allow passage of the last returning freight along the branch. Official closure date for the line was three days later on Monday 19th July 1965.
Earlston: D3888 passing the site of Fans Loanend siding near Earlston with the Greenlaw goods on 16 July 1965.
Greenlaw: The headshunt at Greenlaw looking east towards Duns, seen from the cab of the locomotive recently arrived with the last branch freight from St Boswells on 16 July 1965. For the same view 47 years later [see image 40876].
Carluke: Black 5 no 44901 struggles up the bank after passing through Carluke with a freight on 16 July 1965.
Carluke: Brush Type 4 D1851 runs south through Carluke on 16 July 1965 with a train for Manchester Victoria.
Greenlaw: Looking back from the cab of a class 08 at the head of the branch goods leaving Greenlaw in 1965.
Leaderfoot Viaduct: D3888 hauls the last freight over Leaderfoot Viaduct. Photographed on Friday 16 July 1965 on its way back from Greenlaw to St Boswells.
Braidwood: Trains meet on the WCML near Braidwood, South Lanarkshire, on 16 July 1965. Jubilee 45698 Mars, heading towards Glasgow with a train from Manchester, passes an unidentified up freight.
Gordon: Cover of Memories of Lost Border Railways by Bruce McCartney. The photograph is of the last freight leaving Gordon station watched by station master Scott.
Craigenhill: Brush Type 4 D1707 photographed east of Craigenhill box on a summer morning in July 1965 with an up London relief.
Braidwood: Grangemouth based standard class 5 4-6-0 no 73007 passes through Braidwood, Lanarkshire, with a down freight in the summer of 1965.
Braidwood: 70002 Geoffrey Chaucer climbing through Braidwood on 16 July 1965 with a London bound relief.
Gordon: Station master Scott watches the last freight leaving Gordon station, Berwickshire, on 16 July 1965. The photograph may be familiar - it is the front cover photograph used for Memories of Lost Border Railways by Bruce McCartney.
Craigenhill Summit: Glasgow Fair Saturday, 16th July 1966, sees an up special passing Craigenhill Summit behind an EE Type 4.
Heriot: Holbeck 'Peak' D11 runs through the staggered platforms of Heriot station on Saturday 16 July 1966 with the up Waverley.
Carlisle: 60019 'Bittern' stands at Carlisle platform 3 on 16 July 1967. The Pacific had recently arrived with the 9.40am ex-Leeds City RCTS (West Riding Branch) 'A4 to Glasgow' railtour. The train continued to Glasgow Central via the WCML, returning south later that day via Dumfries.
Hawick [2nd]: The diverted 1200 (Sundays only) 1A28 Kings Cross - Edinburgh heads north away from Hawick on the Waverley route on 16 July 1967. Locomotive in charge is Deltic no D9003 Meld.
Beattock: The RCTS 'A4 to Glasgow' railtour stands at Beattock station on 16 July 1967 behind no 60019 Bittern. The special, which had originated from Leeds, ran north from Carlisle to Glasgow Central on the WCML and returned via the GSW route. An EE Type 1 provided assistance on the ascent of Beattock bank.
Shankend: Brush Type 4 no D1970 takes train 1A18, the 10.10 Kings Cross - Edinburgh, north past Shankend box on 16 July 1967, the day after the derailment at Acklington on the ECML. [With thanks to John Robin]
Shankend Viaduct: Deltic D9018 Ballymoss crossing Shankend Viaduct with the diverted 1A16 Kings Cross - Aberdeen ECML service on Sunday 16 July 1967. The diversion was a consequence of the derailment of the previous evening's 12-coach Edinburgh - Leeds North Briton near Acklington (caused by a broken rail).
Ochiltree: The former Ochiltree Station (closed to passengers in 1951), looking west on 16 July 1998. [See image 9574]
Grantshouse: D5095 stands on the up line opposite Grantshouse signal box with the Haymarket breakdown train on 16 July 1969 following removal of the wreckage of the derailed Freightliner from the running lines [see image 32604].
Grantshouse: Clearance of wreckage and replacement of damaged track in progress in the cutting east of Grantshouse station following the Freightliner derailment of 15 July 1969 [see image 32491]. Photographed looking east into the cutting during the evening of the day following the crash. Clearance and relaying work had been completed by Saturday 19 July when normal operations were resumed.
Mallaig: Looking back towards the station concourse at Mallaig Station in 1970.
Mallaig: Looking out along the platforms at Mallaig in 1970, with a BRCW Type 2 preparing to leave with a train for Fort William and Glasgow Queen Street.
Aviemore: 44 008 at Aviemore in July 1981 shortly after purchase from British Rail. The locomotive was later sold on to a Peak Rail consortium.
Dunford Bridge: On a fine July evening in 1981 nos 76031+76035 pass Dunford Bridge signal box with the Manchester to Harwich Parkeston Quay ferry vans, having just emerged from Woodhead Tunnel. Both locomotives were withdrawn later that month.
Bullhouse Hall: 76032+76034 lift a load of coal for Fiddler's Ferry Power Station up the Don Valley between Ecklands and Hazlehead on the climb to Woodhead Tunnel. The date is thought to be 16 July 1981 and the train 6M31, the 16.30 departure from Barnsley Junction, Penistone.
Perth: Hole in the wall, west side of Perth station, July 1992.
Perth: A BR InterCity 125 HST leaves Perth for the south in the summer of 1992 with the up Highland Chieftain.
Perth: The south end of Perth station in July 1992, with a BR InterCity 125 HST forming the up Inverness - London Kings Cross Highland Chieftain about to restart from platform 4.
Perth: A northbound train about to call at platform 4 at Perth station in July 1992 with what is thought to be an Edinburgh - Inverness service. The locomotive in charge is 37113 Radio Highland in BR Railfreight livery. [Ref query 4225]
Perth: Another view of the locomotive featured in Mystery Image 4245 following its arrival at Perth. [See image 56880] 37113 had originally been withdrawn in March 1989 and was later used as a rebuild project for apprentices at Doncaster Works. Around the time of completion of the rebuild another locomotive, 37260 'Radio Highland', had entered the works having sustained serious fire damage. Following an assessment, RfD decided to obtain 37113 as a direct replacement for 37260 â€“ including transfer of the nameplates. These were then carried by 37113 until its second and final withdrawal in August 1995, following collision damage sustained in the sidings at Portobello. 37113 was subsequently cut up on site by MC Metals.
Mosshouse Viaduct: Viaduct over the Bellow Water on the closed line between Cronberry and Auchinleck, on 16 July 1998. Since demolished. This was just west of the junction at Cronberry which was to the left in this view..
Holehouse Junction: Looking north at Holehouse Junction, Ayrshire, on 16 July 1998 with the Broomhill siding diverging to the right. The former station (closed 1950) stood in the V of the junction.
Cairnhill: The former line from Auchinleck to Cairnhill Mine was proposed for re-opening to a new opencast development at Gasswater. View shows the former NCB line from the exchange sidings on the Muirkirk branch looking towards Cairnhill in July 1998.
Cronberry No 4 Pit Signal Box: Remains of the Cronberry No 4 signalbox at Cronberry, looking west on the Muirkirk branch in July 1998. [Railscot note: the signalbox is named for Pit No 4, not because there are another 3 Cronberry signalboxes. The branch ran east to Cronberry Colliery and finally on to Cronberry Moor Colliery. The junction here was re-aligned on at least one occasion, on the doubling of the line and on the opening of Cronberry Moor Colliery.]
Musselburgh: ScotRail 158707 deputising for the usual EMU on a North Berwick service leaving Musselburgh in July 2004.
Morningside Road: A diverted Glasgow-Edinburgh service passes Morningside Road on Sunday 16 July
Slateford: A diverted Glasgow - Edinburgh service passes through Slateford on the sub on 16 July 2006. In the background is the bridge that carried the Caledonian main line out of Princes Street and which now serves as vehicle access from Merchiston to Slateford sidings and PW depot. Immediately beyond but obscured from view by the first bridge is a parallel bridge carrying the current link from Haymarket East Junction [see image 11417].
Haymarket: View west over the car park at a closed Haymarket station on Sunday 16 July 2006, with Haymarket East Junction in the background. A PW train stands in platform 2 as work continues on the track layout and the new bay platform, the side wall of which can be seen above the blue doors.
Craiglockhart: Nice touch! Ornament in a garden off Colinton Road, Edinburgh, July 2007.
Culross: 66158 with empty coal hoppers passing below Culross Castle en route to Hunterston Dock
York: Looking north into York station on 16 July 2007. On the left is a GNER northbound service with a Class 91 on the rear while on the right a southbound HST is boarding.
Paisley Canal: 156507 pulling into Paisley Canal to form the 1600 service to Glasgow Central on 16th July
Elderslie Junction: Looking west towards Elderslie West Junction where the line to Kilmacolm branched off to the right at the trees
Elderslie No 2 Junction: At Elderslie West Junction looking west where the line went downhill and under the main line at the fly under so trains to Kilmacolm wouldnt foul the main line.
Elderslie: 66415 at the Elderslie Loop having just been given signals to join the main line after loading up with containers at WH Malcolm on a container service to Newbiggin, Cumbria, on 16th July.
Blunham: The perils of modern navigation. Even if the station building at Blunham on the Bedford-Sandy section has been extended to the right of the front door, it's easy to spot on the ground. Satellite images are trickier, as the roof has been retiled with the same tiles as the neighbours' new houses.
Bedford St Johns (New): The station under the road bridge - this is the 1984 replacement, on the old MR route to Hitchin, for the old Bedford St Johns station [see image 22133]. Basic, but effective.
Coppull: 4 and 5 car Voyager sets head north at Coppull between Wigan and Preston on 16 July 2010. The photograph is taken looking through the fence where a public footpath crosses the line with the assistance of a footbridge. The WCML used to be 4 track here for a further two miles to the south to Standish Junction. It was reduced to two tracks up to Balshaw Lane Junction following electrification in the 1970s.
Bedford: Growth of trees and shrubs makes it hard to see the old steam shed at Bedford on the far side of the line; but the fact that the shed still stands, some 45 years after closure, is remarkable. A bit like Bescot, really..
Bedford: It's easy to dwell on the losses at Bedford - not least the direct trains to Cambridge and Northampton. But this view is full of history. Notice the MR warehouse dead centre - the sidings in front of it used to be the Hitchin line - a main line to London, no less. In the distance above the wagons, we can see where this line has been 'recycled' as the link between Bedford's two stations - Midland and the 'new' St John's. On the right, the catenary supports are over the carriage sidings for the Bed-Pan EMUs. [See image 21393]
Newport: Newport (High Street) station was extended for the Ryder Cup last year (2010).
This view shows the new booking hall and footbridge - it is about where the water column was previously [[See image 30821]].
Brundall: 70000 Britannia passing Brundall on a rainy 16 July 2011 with the 1Z72 16.40 Great Yarmouth- London Liverpool Street RTC Easterling railtour. 47580 County of Essex is attached to the rear of the train.
Brundall: 70000 Britannia comes off the single line Great Yarmouth branch and coasts into Brundall with a special on 16 July 2011.
St Jean d^Angely: Etat/SNCF Ligne Niort - Saintes/CFD Reseau Charente. Ligne Marans - St Jean d'Angely. St Jean d'Angely station looking east. 16 July 2012.
St Jean d^Angely: Ligne Niort - Saintes/CFD Reseau Charente. Ligne Marans - St Jean d'Angely - Cognac. St Jean d'Angely station looking in the direction of Saintes. The CFD line ran on the left of the platform on which the photographer is standing and continued on to Cognac. Prior to nationalisation in 1938, the Paris - Bordeaux route was virtually the only one in France where there were competing routes with separate PO and Etat lines. St Jean d'Angely was on the former Etat route which ran via Niort and Saintes. The former PO route is now the main line (pending the completion of the TGV line from Tours to Bordeaux which is currently under construction). The St Jean d'Angely line is now sees very little traffic and has been singled.
Railscot: Previously unpublished poem released following the recent McGonagall celebrations in Dundee referring to the earliest days of the website. (As yet unconfirmed).
Hereford: Freightliner 66560, with 66601 dead in train, waiting at signals at the south end of Hereford Station on 16 July 2012. Up ahead the 12.49 ex Birmingham New Street via Great Malvern is crossing over prior to running back into platform 3 ready for its return to Birmingham.
Loulay: Etat/SNCF Ligne Niort - Saintes. Loulay station looking north in the direction of Niort in July 2012. This was part of the the former Etat main line from Paris to Bordeaux. Loulay now has 3 trains stopping in each direction every day with around another 3 in each direction passing without stopping. The second platform is overgrown and the loop (formerly this was a double track line) is rusted and disconnected.
Bristol Parkway: 66585 waits in Bristol Parkway yard on 16 July prior to taking over a coal train from 66560 & 66601 [See image 39739] currently seen standing alongside the rear wall of platform 2 after running to Chipping Sodbury sidings to run round its rake of wagons.
Breuil: Ligne Marans - St Jean d'Angely. Breuil station, now a private dwelling, looking west towards Surgeres on 16 July 2012.
Llandovery: Arriva Trains Wales single car unit 153353 runs north over the level crossing on departure from Llandovery on 16 July as it heads back to Shrewsbury with the 09.15 ex Swansea Heart of Wales Line service.
Bare Lane: Northern Sprinter Bubble Car 153360 rolls across Bare Lane and into the station of the same name on a service for Lancaster. The crossing barriers seen here are now controlled from Preston Power Box. This view taken on 16 July from the now closed (and later demolished) signal box, with kind permission, looks towards Morecambe.
Landore: Looking along the west to east Landore curve that allows through workings (such as the 10.57 Cardiff to Fishguard and return limited stop service) to avoid reversal at Swansea. View from a train heading into Swansea from West Wales. [With thanks to Messrs Morgan, Taylor, Armit, Rafferty and Roberts]
Bare Lane: Seen from the now demolished signal box, 153360 calls at Bare Lane with a service from Morecambe to Lancaster on 16th July 2013. The box was no longer controlling trains or the level crossing but was in use as a bothy for platform staff pending installation of electronic platform signs. Ahead of the train the two tracks can be seen to merge but a very short distance further on they diverge again to form the two chords to Morecambe South Junction and Hest Bank.
Oxheys: Far from home, Bulleid West Country pacific no. 34046 Braunton heads north on the WCML near Oxheys north of Preston whilst out on a test run from Carnforth on 16 July 2013.
Llanelli: Arriva Trains Wales 150282 rests at Llanelli for some 10 minutes before it departs for Newport at 12.42, after reversal following arrival from Shrewsbury via the Heart of Wales line. Of interest is the transfer copy of a 6G Llandudno Junction shed plate between the unit number and the light cluster.
Forton: More new steam in 2013. Newly returned to the main line, West Country 4-6-2 34046 Braunton ventured out from the East Lancashire Railway on 16 July and took a test train round the Carnforth - Helifield circuit. Running well ahead of schedule the gleaming Pacific, restored from a Barry wreck, is seen here heading towards Lancaster at Forton.
Bare Lane: Interior of the closed Bare Lane signal box on 16 July 2013. The structure was scheduled for demolition granted a stay of execution while it was used by temporary platform staff until electronic passenger displays were installed at Bare Lane station. The lever frame dated from 1937 but most of the other equipment and instruments were removed. The box was finally demolished in January 2014.
Farington Curve Junction: TPE 350410 on 1M91 Edinburgh to Manchester Airport passes a 10 coach Virgin Voyager heading north with the 1S39 Birmingham New St to Glasgow Central at Farington Curve Junction on 16 July.
Appleby: The 1991 installed water tank and column at the south end of Appleby station, bathed in sunshine on 16 July 2014.
Preston (Ribble Branch): DB Shenker liveried Super 60 60059 slowly approaches the STOP board at Strand Road level crossing on 16 July with the bitumen tanks from Lindsey to Preston Dock.
Preston (Ribble Branch): DBS Class 60 60059 Swinden Dalesman is named after the quarry at the end of the Grassington line. On 16 July it found itself on another freight only branch, seen here cautiously picking its way through the long grass towards the STOP board for Strand Road level crossing. The train was, unusually, almost an hour late on arrival at Preston Docks exchange sidings due to being delayed by a derailed Class 66 at Brocklesby.
Gouda: An eastbound Sprinter Lighttrein, bound for Utrecht (left), arrives at Gouda on 16 July 2015. These have largely replaced the Mat 64 emus from the 1960s and 1970s, although the old stagers had to be recalled in the winters of 2010 and 2012 following many SLTs failing in snow and freezing conditions. On the right a westbound DD-VIRM set pauses for custom.
Gouda: On yer bike! Station frontage and commuter parking at Gouda in July 2015. The present station building dates from 1984, succeeding a short term replacement for one destroyed by the RAF for strategic reasons in November 1944. Gouda is on the Rotterdam/Utrecht line, with other lines running from the town to den Haag and Alphen an den Rijn and enjoys a wide variety of Inter-City and local Sprinter services around the country. Even on a Sunday evening there are some 20 arrivals/departures an hour.
Gouda: The 15.39 service to Amersfoort Schothorst, formed by a double decker DD-VIRM, prepares for an on-time departure from Gouda on 16 July.
Woerden: The attractive station building at Woerden, located between Gouda and Utrecht. This unsuspecting douce burgh was to host an evening friendly match between FC Utrecht and Dundee United FC, which explains the presence of the tangerine shirt-clad gent in front of the station. [The match ended FC Utrecht 4 Dundee Utd 0]. While Woerden station opened in 1855, the current art nouveau building dates from 1911.
Newtongrange: View north towards Newtongrange on 16 July 2015, a day without any scheduled Newcraighall - Tweedbank crew training runs. Finishing work is being carried out on the station and the surrounding infrastructure.
Newtongrange: Vehicle entrance to Newtongrange station car park from the A7 on 16 July 2015, with some signage and partial landscaping now evident. Near the brow of the hill a pedestrian entrance is also nearing completion. [See image 51991]
Leeds: To celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Hunslet Engine Company, the Middleton Railway in Leeds organised a weekend events for the 18th and 19th July. One of the events held at the site of the former Hunslet Engine Company works on Jack Lane courtesy of the present owners, Schneider Electric. Two parallel 2 foot gauge temporary tracks were built on the car park outside the Schneider Electric offices on 16 July 2015 and Hunslet engines Irish Mail (left) and Trangkil No.4 (right) were positioned, one on each track. Trangkil No.4 was the last steam loco built by Hunslet, completed in 1971.
Middlewich: Around half way between Middlewich and Northwich on the little used route linking the latter with Sandbach, the line crosses the Trent & Mersey Canal immediately beyond Whatcroft Lane overbridge. The long steel bridge over the canal is seen here in July 2015. [Ref query 4343]
Middlewich: The rudimentary stairway running up the east side of the south abutment of Whatcroft Lane rail over-bridge, between Middlewich and Northwich. This gives access to the walkway running along the east side of this bridge and the adjacent bridge across the Trent and Mersey Canal.
Middlewich: There are two adjacent rail over-bridges that cross the Trent & Mersey Canal and Whatcroft Lane, midway between Middlewich and Northwich. View looking south across the canal bridge, in July 2015, from a walkway created along the former up side bridge decks, with the road bridge just visible to the right through the railings on the canal bridge. [See image 52044]
Edinburgh Waverley: -and these are the overheads. In older stations, sometimes it pays to look up. This area has been converted to retail use, which hasn't done much for its appearance at ground level; but the ceiling still looks good.
Rotterdam Centraal: Shortly before midnight, Sprinter (Stads Gewestelijk Materieel (SGM)) No 2966, has just arrived from Woerden and Utrecht.
Frankfurt Airport: An ICE at Frankfurt Airport. Lovely trains, my first day on them last Saturday 16 July.
Burton-upon-Trent: A nice view of the ironwork on the overbridge at Burton-upon-Trent on 16 July 2016 as class 170's head South (right) and North (left).
Munchen: Up close and personal. A trio of ICEs at Munchen Hbf on 16 July.
Preston: Freightliner 90042 waits at the north end of platform 4 at Preston in the early hours of 16 July 2016. The loco is one of the Freightliner Class 90s on hire to GBRF in order to work the Caledonian Sleeper services. This particular service was the 1S25 Highland Sleeper which normally runs from Euston to Inverness with some coaches coming off at Edinburgh for Aberdeen and Fort William however on this morning the main portion was only advertised to Perth.
Ulm: Good grief - they're everywhere! Class 66 at Ulm Hbf on 16 July.
Inverkeithing: The Scottish 37 Group's 37025 enters Inverkeithing with an excursion from Linlithgow to Inverness, its first outing on the main line with a passenger train since overhaul.
Inverkeithing: The Scottish 37 Group's 37025 being passed by 170406 on the 8.02 from Perth to Edinburgh.
Cradlehall: 37025 Inverness TMD was based at Inverness for many years and was a regular performer on The Far North Line, The Kyle Line and The Highland Main Line. After acquisition and restoration to main line standard by the Scottish Thirty-Seven Group, 37025 is pictured nearing Inverness with an SRPS Railtour from Linlithgow.
Culloden Viaduct: 37025 Inverness TMD comes off Culloden Viaduct southbound to Linlithgow on the return leg of an SRPS Railtour. It was the locomotive's first visit to Inverness since it was preserved.It was last in Inverness over twenty years ago.
Culloden Viaduct: 37025 Inverness TMD on the return journey to Linlithgow from Inverness.The locomotive was last in Inverness over twenty years ago.
Burton-upon-Trent: Go on, admit it. You've always wanted to sleep in a grain warehouse. An interesting contrast to another rail-themed hotel in the same chain [see image 26403].
Plates, signs, notices etc: Haymarket station a visitor attraction? That's what this brown sign would suggest. No wonder the wee man is smiling. Sign seen on the Water of Leith Walkway - not actually very near to Haymarket station.
Newton Abbot: A fabulous preserved Great Western lower quadrant signal gantry in Newton Abbot. 16th July 2018.
Haymarket West Junction: Balgreen tram stop occupies the exact location of Balgreen Halt, hard by the main line near Haymarket West Junction. The morning LNER Aberdeen to King's Cross service passes on 16 July 2018. Note that the LNER vinyl has not yet been applied over the Virgin logo.
Events from the chronology which occured on this day. This generally lists events before 1995, the creation of the website.
|1846||Leeds and Thirsk Railway||Second Leeds and Thirsk Act gives powers to open a line from Northallerton to Billingham on the Stockton and Hartlepool Railway, Eaglescliffe on the Stockton and Darlington Railway and Stockton on the Clarence Railway.|
|1846||Leeds and Thirsk Railway||Act for extension from Northallerton to meet the Stockton and Hartlepool Railway at Stockton. Plan to buy Stockton and Hartlepool Railway falls through.|
|1846||Deeside Railway||Act receives Royal assent.|
|1846||Glasgow Dumfries and Carlisle Railway||Act receives Royal assent. It was originally stipulated that the line was not allowed to compete with the Caledonian Railway for Glasgow to Carlisle traffic.|
|1846||Morayshire Railway||Act receives Royal assent. Authorised from Lossiemouth to Elgin and from Orton to Craigellachie.|
|1846||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway||Line leased to the Glasgow Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway and re-gauged for locomotives.|
|1866||Potteries Shrewsbury and North Wales Railway||The Shrewsbury and North Wales Railway and Shrewsbury and Potteries Junction Railway merge to form the Potteries, Shrewsbury and North Wales Railway|
|1866||Brynmawr and Blaenavon Railway||Act passed, backed by the London and North Western Railway.|
|1866||Settle and Carlisle Line (Midland Railway)||Act passed.|
|1874||Rowrah and Kelton Fell (Mineral) Railway||Act passed|
|1874||Minehead Railway||Opened, operated by the Bristol and Exeter Junction Railway|
|1874||London and North Western Railway South Wales||Act for extension from Penywern Junction to Morlais.|
|1885||Scarborough and Whitby Railway||Line opened, operating by the North Eastern Railway from the outset.|
|1899||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway||Line bought by Glasgow and South Western Railway.|
|1918||Tsar Nicholas II and family are executed by the Bolsheviks|
|1931||Leadhills Mining Company||Wanlockhead mines closed.|
|1969||Apollo 11 Launched|
These are old news items which which occured on this day. This generally lists events after 1995, the creation of the website.
|2004||Executive to control rail network [Scotsman]||PASSENGERS will reap the benefits of a major shake-up of the rail industry as control of the Scottish network transfers north of the Border, ministers promised yesterday.|
|2007||Strike threat on busy rail line [BBC News]||The dismissal of a guard involved in an incident with a fare evader leads to a ballot which could result in strike action.|
|2008||Work restarts on Rodney Street tunnel [Evening News]||WORK to finish a new cycle path and walkway in an abandoned railway tunnel near the city centre is under way.|
|2011||Mallard to return to the National Railway Museum in York [The Press]||ONE of Britain’s most iconic locomotives will return to York next week. Mallard will be brought back to the National Railway Museum on Tuesday, hauled from Locomotion in Shildon.|
|2012||FirstGroup vies with Virgin in west coast rail bidding war [The Guardian]||FirstGroup has emerged as a frontrunner for the multibillion-pound west coast rail franchise alongside incumbent Virgin Trains, with the contest now a two-horse race between the experienced operators. Aberdeen-based FirstGroup is vying with Virgin despite announcing last year that it is handing back its Great Western rail contract three years ahead of schedule, avoiding more than £800m in payments to the government.|
|2012||Railway electrification of Valley Lines announced [Caerphilly Observer]||The UK Government has announced the electrification of the Valley Lines network as part of a £350million investment in Welsh railways. The Department for Transport (DfT) has said the Valley Lines network will be electrified by 2019. The mainline between Cardiff and Swansea will be electrified.|
|2012||Dumfries to Kilmarnock train delays ended [BBC News]||A warning of rail travel delays due to overrunning engineering works between Dumfries and Kilmarnock has been lifted. Replacement bus services were operating on the route. ScotRail had advised passengers to expect delays, with journey times likely to be increased by anything up to an hour. That warning was lifted by late in the morning with services set to return to normal.|
|2012||The future’s electric for Britain^s railways [Telegraph]||Jimmy Savile was wrong. This is the age of the train, rather than the late Seventies/early Eighties when he was the face of British Rail advertising and immortalised that slogan. [From Mark Bartlett]|
|2013||Felixstowe rail link boost [Port Strategy]||The UK east coast port of Felixstowe is to benefit from a £12m (€14.8m) grant from the European Union to be spent on a rail ‘chord’ at Ipswich. The 1.3km chord will allow freight trains to travel directly from Felixstowe to the Midlands.|
|2013||Borders to Edinburgh rail line police team launched [BBC News]||Transport Minister Keith Brown is to officially launch a dedicated British Transport Police team to patrol the Borders to Edinburgh railway project. It will work closely with Network Rail and main contractor, BAM Nuttall, to keep the 30 miles of new railway ^free from disruption^. The team consists of an inspector, a sergeant and seven constables.|
|2014||Two Moscow metro workers arrested after disaster [BBC News]||Russian investigators have announced the arrest of two Moscow metro workers for safety breaches after a train derailed, killing 21 people. The railway foreman and his assistant are suspected of using inadequate wiring during works on the line in May, the Investigative Committee said. They have been questioned and charges are expected to be brought soon, it said in a statement (in Russian). A power surge is said to have caused the crash, which injured 162 people.|
|2016||Another weekend of RMT strikes on ScotRail [BBC News]||RMT union members working for ScotRail have started another two days of strike action. A number of services on Saturday and Sunday will be cancelled or reduced, although ScotRail has claimed that 76% of routes will operate as normal. The industrial action is over the union^s concerns about trains operating without guards. On driver-only-operation trains, the driver is asked to close the doors at stations, instead of a conductor. ScotRail has said it would ensure a second member of staff was scheduled to be on board every train to assist the driver in emergencies.|
|2018||Investigation launched after train carrying nuclear material ran stop signal at Kingussie [The Herald]||An Investigation has been launched after a freight train carrying nuclear material ran a stop signal near to Kingussie on Friday night.|
|2018||Passengers advised of changed access into Queen Street station [Network Rail]||From Saturday 21 July, the way passengers enter and exit Glasgow Queen Street station will change as the project team finishes the last of the demolition work on Consort House.|