Location type


Name and dates

Thornliebank (1881-)

Station code: THB National Rail ScotRail
Where: East Renfrewshire, Scotland
Opened on the Busby Railway.
Open on the East Kilbride Line.


This is a two platform station not far south east of Busby Junction where the East Kilbride line leaves the Glasgow and Kilmarnock line.

The main station building, on the northbound platform, has not survived. There was no goods yard here, Thornliebank Goods being on a nearby line.

Between the station and the junction was the rail served Argus Foundry on the west side of the line.

Unusually there is no car park at this station, probably because these are usually built on former goods yards.

Going east to Giffnock there were several quarry and brick works sidings.

Just beyond the station was the first Thornliebank Signal Box (1881-1942 when Giffnock Brick closed).

Going east again was Brassey^s Siding, also on the south side of the line, approaching English Quarry.

Beyond this was Washwall^s Old Siding, on the south side of the line. This was by Flag Quarry. Later the Washwall^s chemical works. Later again the Giffnock Refuse Destructor. The second Thornliebank Signal Box (1942-1964) was located here, on the south side of the line by Robslee Drive.

Beyond this was Giffnock Colliery (later Giffnock Brick Works). This was on the north side of the line and approached from the east. Plant and equipment had come from the Jordanhill Brick Works on its closure. The Giffnock works closed in 1942. The sidings were rebuilt in 1946 to become Giffnock Metal Ltd^s Burnfield Works, this yard was equipped with a travelling crane.

Washwall^s New Siding was to the west of the Burnfield Road overbridge. Closed by the 1890s.

To the north west was first Baird^s siding, just west of the station, served from west and on south side of line. This was at a stonemasons yard just east of Burnfield drive and had a travelling crane. It was located at the former Giffnock Quarry (on either side of the line). Later marked, in the 1970s, as Briquette Works and Coal Yard, of the Claremont Coal Co Ltd. Earlier there had been opposite a very short siding on the north side.



External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67


  /  /1846Clydesdale Junction Railway
Branches to Househill, by the Levern Water near the Hurlet Colliery Tramway, and Thornliebank authorised. Neither built at this time.