Hyndland East Junction

Location type


Names and dates

Yoker Junction (1882-1896)
Whiteinch East Junction (1896-1960)
Hyndland East Junction (1960-)

Station code: National Rail
Opened on the Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway.
Opened on the Stobcross Railway.


This is the junction between the lines to Anniesland and Jordanhill west of Hyndland. The former is the older line, the 1874 Stobcross Railway and the latter is the Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway of 1882. Both lines are double track.

To the south, and unrelated to this junction, was the Whiteinch Railway.

The signal box here was in the 'V' of the junction. The box which was to open here in 1896 replaced the earlier box here and also another at Whiteinch Junction (just to the east, where the [[Whiteinch Railway commenced). This 1896 box took over that at Whiteinch North Junction in 1928. The box was replaced in 1960 by the new box which opened at Hyndland on electrification and resignalling of the area.

Looped sidings, associated with the Whiteinch Loop Sidings, ran on the north side of the line from the junction east to those sidings. One of these loops remains today, running from close to the junction east and to the south of Hyndland station.




01/12/1882Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway
Opened from Yoker Junction, Hyndland, to Clydebank [1st] (later Clydebank East). This line was used in conjunction with a ferry over the Clyde and the Stobcross Railway station at Partick for shipyard workers who lived in Govan to travel to the Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [2nd] which had re-located from Govan. A line ran west from Clydebank [1st] into the shipyard over the Forth and Cart Canal.


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways