This shipyard was built for William Beardmore and Company specifically to build naval vessels. It was on the north bank of the River Clyde by Dalmuir and north of the Newshot Island bend. The site reached from the Clyde Navigation Trust's Dredger Works, to the west, to the Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Works to the east. Construction work began in 1900 with the first vessel launched in 1906.
The engine works was west of the trust's works, the fitting out basin was at the west end of the main site with sheds on either side, particularly stretching out to the east. The yard had slips to the east, one of which was covered by an immense gantry. Unusually for a Clyde shipyard the slips faced upriver taking advantage of a bend in the river.
A hammerhead crane, by Benrather Maschinenfabrik AG, Dusseldorf, was provided.
The yard was developed alongside the brand new Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway Dalmuir [CR] station (later Dalmuir Riverside). Sidings on the south side of the line served the site. There were two point of entry initially, one at the west end, crossing Beardmore Street by a level crossing, and another to the east via exchange sidings which also served the Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Works. The North British Railway did not have access.
The shipyard was provided with materials by the rest of the Beardmore empire. Engine parts, castings, guns and heavy plate came from the Parkhead Forge.
Aeroplanes were also manufactured here and seaplanes, which was appropriate as the yard had built the first true aircraft carrier HMS Argus.
The works expanded to the west of the fitting out basin, absorbing the Dredger Works and further slips at the east end, launching downriver.
Beardmore worked with Vickers and some vessels from the Barrow Shipyard were fitted out in Dalmuir.
In the Great War ships, submarines, tanks and aircraft were built at the works.
After the Great War the yard was struggling for orders. Locomotive manufacture took place in the 1920s. Perhaps the most unusual order was the manufacture of the Bennie Railplane. The works closed 1930/1931 after being bought by National Shipbuilders Security Ltd to be closed.
The site was split. From west to east it became ROF Dalmuir, Arnott, Young & Co Ltd's Dalmuir shipbreaking scrapyard, Turners Asbestos Cement Works and a Post Office cable depot.
The slips fell within the cement works portion and the large gantry was demolished.
Arnott Young used the fitting out basin to strip vessels, reversing the construction process. Hulks were taken to Troon Harbour. The site was also used to dispose of locomotives and wagons. The sidings on the south side of Dalmuir Riverside being the reception area. A new line was laid south from this directly into the scrapyard.
The scrapyard closed around 1980 and was demolished by 1987.
The main site became the Health Care International Hospital and is now the Golden Jubilee National Hospital .
Singer Workers Platforms
| Turners Asbestos Cement Works|
Dalmuir Dredger Works
Dalmuir Iron Works
Singer Timber Yard
Clyde Trust Siding Signal Box
Dalmuir No 23 Tunnels
Dalmuir No 25 Tunnel
Dalmuir Park Junction
Dalmuir Sewage Purification Works
Chivas Bros Siding
Kilbowie Swing Bridge
Newshot Island Wrecks
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|