Awe Crossing

Location type

Sidings


Name and dates

Awe Crossing (1893-1966)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.


Description

This was a passing loop on the single track Callander and Oban Railway. The loop broke the section between Taynuilt, to the west, and Loch Awe to the east. Prior to the loop the single track length was 9.1 miles, broken into 4.5 miles to the west and 4.6 miles to the east).

The signal box was a stone built combined box and railway cottage building, a style found elsewhere on the line of which an example survives at the former Drumvaich Crossing. Falls of Cruachan, just over a mile to the east, opened at the same time.

The building was on the north side of the line with the signal box part to the east and cottage to the west.

Other crossings were at Glencruitten Crossing, Glenlochy Crossing, St Brides Crossing and Drumvaich Crossing.

The loop closed in 1966. The loop at Taynuilt remains in use but that at Loch Awe also closed in 1966. The east end of the section is now at Dalmally and the length of the section is now a considerably longer 11.7 miles.


Tags

Loop Station combined signal box and house

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map