Glencruitten Crossing

Location type

Sidings


Name and dates

Glencruitten Crossing (1901-1966)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.


Description

This crossing was opened to break the single track section between Oban and Connel Ferry at Glencruitten Summit.

The loop had an unusual stone built combined signal box and railway cottage, not typical of the line but very fine. the lever frame was in the sitting room, effectively. A wonderful Tudor/Gothic style set of windows overlooked the loop.

The loop was particularly needed as the branch to Ballachulish opened in 1903, greatly increasing the number of trains on this section. Glencruitten was at the end of a 1 in 50 climb from both directions.

The loop was taken out in 1966. However the building has survived intact and is in use as a house. Railway cottages also survive here, to the west. These predated the loop.


Tags

Crossing loop summit

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map