St Brides Crossing

Location type

Sidings


Name and dates

St Brides Crossing (1893-1951)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.


Description

This was a passing loop, added in 1893 due to the increase in traffic. Little remains to be seen of the loop, the line itself is now a dirt road, except a bridge over a stream which clearly carried two tracks. John Anderson's proposal to open a public station here was rejected by the landowner.

The signal box here was unusual in having a covered staircase (north side).

In the Second World War a down (northbound) side siding was added - indeed this was a wartime provision to provide further marshalling capacity on the line. The field to the west has been described as being full of sidings, sleepers remaining for years afterwards. The road to Stank farm was deviated to the west to vacate land for the new sidings. Update - sidings location confirmed by True Line 140.

Switching out became available in 1921, useful on a line with light wintertime traffic. The box and loop closed in 1951.

The line remained open until 1965 when it closed due to the Glen Ogle Rockfall.

The location was named for a nearby Chapel, now ruined.

08/08/2019

Tags

Loop crossing Second World War