Glenlochy Crossing

Location type

Sidings


Name and dates

Glenlochy Crossing (1882-1966)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.


Description

This was a passing loop opened in 1882 to increase capacity of the line. It broke the single track section between Tyndrum Lower and Dalmally.

The building was similar to that at other crossing loops such as Drumvaich Crossing and Awe Crossing - a combined signal box and railway cottage, the box at the west end of the combined building. It was on the south south east side of the line. An access footbridge over the River Lochy approached the loop.

The line remains open, but the loop was lifted in 1966. The building no longer exists. The footbridge still exists, but is locked for railway used only. This was often used as the starting point of the climb to Beinn Laoigh until the access was blocked.


Tags

Loop crossing

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map