Taynuilt

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Taynuilt (1880-)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.

Open on the West Highland Line.


Description

This is a two platform station which retains its 1921 signal box. There is a small car park. The station has a passing loop and sidings. It opened on the 1880 extension of the Callander and Oban Railway from Dalmally to Oban.

The main station building was on the westbound platform, the village side of the station, and a waiting room on the eastbound platform. The station building was prefabricated and assembled on site. It was largely wooden with a platform canopy with screens.

A water tower was at the east end of the eastbound platform.

The goods yard was on the south side, approached from the west. The loading bank was of two heights and there were cattle pens at the west end. The yard was equipped with a crane.

The original signal box was replaced in 1921 with another, slightly further east at the west end of the westbound platform.

The signal box closed in 1986 when RETB took over.

The station building became a pub, called the 'Brewer's Tap', and micro-brewery, the 'West Highland Brewery'.

Unfortunately after the brewery relocated to Alloa the building was burned down and demolished. This was the last example of a Callander and Oban Railway station building of the 1880 extension. A crest from the building, with C&OR and date in Roman numerals, is preserved in the Caledonian MacBrayne terminal building on Oban Pier, alongside Oban station.

The signal box was re-located from the west end of the station for use as a waiting room. (No longer used for this purpose.)

There sidings are now used as a Permanent Way base.

Railway cottages survive to the east of the station.

Local

Nearby, to the north east, are the remains of the Bonawe Iron Works. These are preserved and open to the public.

12/08/2019

Tags

Station