Bonawe Iron Works (1753-1874)
Served by the Industry (without sidings).
This iron works was established by Richard Ford and Company at Bonawe, just to the north east of Taynuilt. The site was ideal having access to tidewater and the forests of Glen Nant and on the banks of Loch Etive and Loch Awe. The timber was coppiced and converted into charcoal for use at the works. So much charcoal was required that it was cheaper to bring haematite from Cumberland than take the charcoal to Cumberland.
The works closed in 1874 but many of the works buildings survive. Bonawe House, the manager's house, and several cottages also survive.
Falls of Cruachan
Other railway and industry locations
Bonawe Iron Works
Pass of Brander Stone Signals
Cruachan Power Station Visitor Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|