Loch Awe

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Loch Awe (1880-1965)
Loch Awe (1985-)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.

Open on the West Highland Line.


Description

This is a single platform station alongside the north east shore of Loch Awe [Loch] with a footbridge over the line giving access to a pier, Loch Awe Pier. Only the former eastbound platform remains in use. High above is the Loch Awe Hotel which may be reached by a staircase up a cliff.

This was a two platform station (originally one platform with a goods loop). The larger building (replaced 1897 after a fire) was on the westbound platform with a waiting room on the eastbound. This station featured a fountain which was to the east of the main station building. The station's west end was formerly connected to the hotel with a baggage lift.

The goods yard with a loading bank was to the west on the north side of the line. Trains from Ben Cruachan Quarry ran to the goods yard from the quarry. On the south side opposite the mains goods yard was a siding for the Loch Awe Pier. A crane on the pier provided transshipment.

The signal box was at the west end of the westbound platform. It was replaced in 1902.

Steamers from Loch Awe Pier ran to other piers on the loch such as Ford Pier, Port Sonachan, Cladich Pier and New York (near Dalavich!). A variation on the Royal Route had passengers arriving at Ardrishaig not use the Crinan Canal but instead travel overland to Ford Pier where a steamer to Loch Awe Pier and train would take them to Oban.

The station closed to passengers in 1965 and the signal box and loop closed in 1966. The station buildings were demolished. British Rail re-opened the now minimal station in 1985. The goods yard side is now the car park.

West from the station the line follows the north bank of Loch Awe to Falls of Cruachan and on the the dramatic Pass of Brander. For much of this length the line runs on a shelf constructed on the steep hillside of Ben Cruachan, protected by the 'stone signals' from falling rocks (see Pass of Brander Stone Signals. Opposite the railway on the south side of the pass are high cliffs and a area scree and boulders down to the water's edge.

East of Loch Awe are the site of the junction for the Ben Cruachan Quarries at Drishaig Junction and the long Orchy Viaduct close to Kilchurn Castle

Local

Kilchurn Castle is to the north east of the station (just over 1.5 miles by foot or road).

Loch Awe Hotel opened with the station.

The Caledonian Camping Coach Company has accommodation in a former railway carriage by the station. This coach was delivered here by unusual means: after arrival here the track was slewed sideways to the south and then new panels laid where the track had been.

02/07/2019

Tags

Station Pier scenic

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67