Drishaig Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Drishaig Junction (1885-1916)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.

Opened on the Ben Cruachan Quarries Branch (Callander and Oban Railway).


Description

This was the junction for the Ben Cruachan Granite Quarries. The branch opened in 1885, five years after the main line. Trains from the branch ran on to Loch Awe to use the goods yard there as exchange sidings. The junction was released using the tablet for the Loch Awe to Dalmally section on which the junction lay. The junction closed in 1916.

The junction is difficult to locate today, but the trackbed a little way down the branch can be found. From there the route to the quarries may be walked.

06/07/2019

Tags

Junction