Pass of Brander Stone Signals

Location type


Name and dates

Pass of Brander Stone Signals (1882-)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.


Description

A series of 17 stone signals protects the line from rock falls in the Pass of Brander. The line protected included Falls of Cruachan and Awe Crossing. The length of line is 3.2 miles.

The signals are known as 'Anderson's Piano' after the former manager of the Callander and Oban Railway due to the sound made by the rock screen's wires in high wind.

The signals were first installed in 1882 and extended several times and modified when the halt and crossing opened. Recent years has seen an overhaul of the signals and they are in use today.

Should a boulder fall onto the railway it may break the wires of the bounder screen which results in the signals changing to danger to alert train drivers.

A pair of signals were installed at Craig-na-Cailleach Platform on the now closed Crianlarich Lower to Callander (Dreadnought) section of the line.


Tags

Signals stone signals