Craig-na-Cailleach Platform

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Craig-na-Cailleach Platform (1870-1965)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.


Description

This platform was for the use of railway staff and their families. It was a single platform built in timber alongside Rock Cottage. The platform was on the west side of the line.

In 1892 a pair of stone signals, like those installed in 1882 in the Pass of Brander alongside Loch Awe, were brought into use. The theory was that a falling rock would break the lineside wires (boulder screen), west side of the line, and the signals would show danger. A bell would sound in the surfaceman's cottage, Rock Cottage. These signals were north of the platform and protected the line from rocks falling from Creag na Comh-sheilg. The southern signal was just north of the platform and the northern one at Roinn Ghainmheach.

Nothing remains of the platform, save a hint of earthworks and the approach path.

At least one signal stump remains.

To the south was St Brides Crossing and to the north Strathyre station.

05/02/2018

Tags

Platform stone signals

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map