Loch Awe Pier (1880-)
Opened on the Piers, Slips and Staiths.
This pier is in the north east of Loch Awe [Loch] alongside Loch Awe station on the Callander and Oban Railway. The pier is on the south side of the station, Loch Awe Hotel is high above on the north side. Steamers connected with the trains. A goods siding served the pier and a crane assisted transshipment.
Steamers from Loch Awe Pier ran to other piers on the loch such as Ford Pier, Port Sonachan, Cladich Pier and New York (near Dalavich!). A variation on the Royal Route had passengers arriving at Ardrishaig not use the Crinan Canal but instead travel overland to Ford Pier where a steamer to Loch Awe Pier and train would take them to Oban.
Vessels associated with the loch are the David Hutcheson & Co. owned S.S. Queen of the Lake (1863-1882) and S.S. Lochawe (1876-1914 scrapped 1924). There were many other vessels. The most famous today is perhaps the second Countess of Breadalbane of 1936 which was later transferred by road to Inveraray for use on the Clyde and ultimately transferred to Loch Lomond, renamed Countess Fiona. Based at Balloch Pier where she was later ignominiously broken up (see Balloch Pier entry).
Falls of Cruachan
Glen Falloch Platform
Bridge of Orchy
Other railway and industry locations
Ben Cruachan Quarry
Falls of Cruachan Viaduct
Loch Awe Hotel
Loch Awe [Loch]
Sron an Isean
Cruachan Power Station Visitor Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|