Leven Extension Railway (Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway)

Introduction

This short line extended the Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway to Methil which was fast becoming the chief coal exporting port in the Wemyss Estate.





Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was a single platform station, originally a terminus approached from the west, from Thornton Junction. The platform was on the south side of the line, the town side. The line was extended east to Methil in 1887.
...

More details
Looking west from College Street, Buckhaven, over the course of the Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway's Leven Extension. The route is clearly followed by ...
Bill Roberton 28/04/2018

This junction was to the south west of Methil station. The layout was altered on several occasions and the track layout was complex.
...

More details
WPR No.19 (Andrew Barclay No. 2067/1939) hoists another rake of mineral wagons away from the BR exchange sidings near Methil West box on 22 August ...
Bill Jamieson 22/08/1969
WPR No 19 at Methil, 1970. Bell's box (WPR) and Methil West box behind. ...
John Furnevel 17/02/1970
Wemyss Private Railway No. 19 (Andrew Barclay No. 2067/1939) passes Methil West box with a rake of mineral wagons from the BR exchange sidings on 22 ...
Bill Jamieson 22/08/1969
WPR locomotives at Methil, 1970. Bell's box to the right. View looking west. ...
John Furnevel 17/02/1970

This was a single platform terminus station. The station building still exists, in use as an office for a road haulage depot.
...

More details
Methil station and yard looking north in 1992. The passenger platform was on the other side of the station building ...
Bill Roberton //1992
Demolition of an adjacent building has opened up a view of the facade of Methil Station. ...
Bill Roberton 14/01/2017
26040 in Barclay's yard at the former Methil terminus and yard shortly before the move to Whitrope Siding. ...
Jeffray Wotherspoon 05/03/2016
The former station at Methil in 1996, looking towards the buffer stops [see image 7419]. ...
Ewan Crawford //1996

This junction, actually at Levenmouth, was formed in 1914 during the works to open Methil Dock No 3. Kirkland Yard was laid out to the west, a great improvement on the single track line from the Kirkland Siding reversing spur in Leven. A quadruple track was laid from the yard to Methil East Junction where there were sidings on the site of the Leven Dock and a new quadruple track ...

More details
37694 leaves Methil Power Station with empty coal wagons on 16th September 1992. The former docks line curves away to the right.
...
Bill Roberton 16/09/1992
37696 leaves Methil Power Station with empties. The line to the right led to the docks. ...
Bill Roberton //1992
37694 passes the River Leven with empty coal wagons from Methil Power Station on 16 September 1992.
...
Bill Roberton 16/09/1992
Looking south west from the footbridge over the lines south of Methil East Junction with a train leaving the north end of the Methil docks to run to ...
John Furnevel 17/02/1970