This was a single platform station, originally a terminus approached from the west, from Thornton Junction. The platform was on the south side of the line, the town side. The line was extended east to Methil in 1887.
At the west end of the station the goods yard lines connected to the existing Bowman and Co line from Rosie Pit to Muiredge Goods, originally the terminus of a goods only line from Cameron Bridge. The portion of the Bowman line running west to the Rosie Pit later became part of the Wemyss Private Railway, with the remainder running north to Muiredge becoming North British Railway owned.
The goods yard was served from the west and the sidings were north of the passenger platform. Just to the north of the goods yard was the Buckhaven Saw Mills.
The station closed in 1955 to passengers, the box closed in 1957 and closure of the line was around 1968.
The station site was obliterated in the late 1960s. The station is remembered in the name Station Place, a road just to the south of its former site.
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
Glenrothes with Thornton
| Buckhaven Saw Mills|
Oil Rig Construction Yard
Methil West Junction
Leven Colliery No 3 Pit (Pirnie)
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/08/1881||Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway|
Line opened from Thornton to Buckhaven.
|05/05/1887||Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway|
Line opened from Buckhaven to Methil, new Methil Dock No 1 opened.
East of Thornton Junction: The Story of the Fife Coast Line
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
Railways Of Scotland 1: The Kingdom of Fife DVD - Cinerail
Scottish Branch Line Steam
Scottish Branch Lines, 1955-65
The Railways of Fife