Castle Douglas: Platform scene at Castle Douglas in May 1949, looking east towards Dumfries. Compound 4-4-0 no 1139 is approaching with a train for Stranraer.
Eastfield Shed: Gresley K4 2-6-0 61996 Lord of the Isles on shed at Eastfield in 1950.
Eastfield Shed: Ex-North British 4-4-0 62496 Glen Loy in the shed yard at Eastfield in 1950.
Eastfield Shed: Reid N15 0-6-2T no 69174 in the shed yard at Eastfield in May 1950.
Eastfield Shed: Gresley V4 2-6-2 61700 Bantam Cock standing in the shed yard at Eastfield on 6 May 1950.
Eastfield Shed: K2 2-6-0 61764 Loch Arkaig photographed on 6 May 1950 in the shed yard at Eastfield.
Crosshouse Junction: A Kilmarnock - Ardrossan train approaching Crosshouse station on 6 May 1953 behind 2P 4-4-0 40644.
Crosshouse Junction: 2P 4-4-0 40643 leaving Crosshouse on 6 June 1953 at the head of an Ardrossan - Kilmarnock train.
Crosshouse: Ardrossan shed's ex-Caledonian 'Jumbo' 0-6-0 no 57274 struggles up the line from Irvine and on through Crosshouse station on 6 May 1953 with a coal train heading for Kilmarnock.
Crosshouse Junction: After running through Crosshouse station, Caley Jumbo 57353 is about to pass Crosshouse Junction signal box on 6 May 1953 with empties from the Dalry direction. See image []
Kilmarnock Goods Junction: The up 'Thames-Clyde Express' passing Kilmarnock no 1 box on 6 May 1954. Locomotives are 2P 4-4-0 40592 and Royal Scot 4-6-0 46112 Sherwood Forrester.
Kilmarnock: Arriving at Kilmarnock on 6 May 1954 is the 5.30pm ex-St Enoch. Standard tank 80009 is piloting Royal Scot 46133 The Green Howards. 80009 was from a batch (80000-9) built at Derby but they entered service after 80010 and some other higher numbered 4MTs emerged from Brighton works.
Bonnyton Junction: Class 2P 4-4-0 no 40571 runs past Kilmarnock no 1 signal box (second of its name) on 6 May 1954 with empty stock. The Long Lyes are on the left side.
Kilmarnock: A Fairlie Pier - Darvel service calls at Kilmarnock on 6 May 1954. Locomotive in charge is one of Ardrossan shed's class 2P 4-4-0s no 40669.
Kay Park Junction: Royal Scot 4-6-0 no 46113 Cameronian passing Kay Park Junction, Kilmarnock, on 6 May 1954 with the 10.40am Leeds - Glasgow.
Kay Park Junction: Carlisle Kingmoor based Jubilee 4-6-0 no 45640 Frobisher passing Kay Park Junction on 6 May 1954 with a St Enoch - Dumfries train.
Kilmarnock Goods Junction: BR 'Clan' light Pacific no 72005 Clan MacGregor about to pass Kilmarnock no 1 box on 6 May 1954 with the down Night Scot. The Kilwinning route is off to the right.
St Marnocks Goods: Caledonian 3F 0-6-0 no 57639 with a goods train passing St Marnock's goods depot, Kilmarnock, on 6 May 1954. See image [] [Ref query 6948]
Kilmaurs: Jubilee 4-6-0 45657 Tyrwhitt leads Clan Pacific 72005 Clan MacGregor south through Kilmaurs on 6 May 1954 with a St Enoch to Newcastle Central train.
Hurlford: Class 2P 4-4-0 no 40570 brings a Dumfries - Glasgow stopping train through Hurlford on 6 May 1954.
Hurlford: A down freight trundles through Hurlford in the spring of 1954 behind Stanier 8F 2-8-0 48612.
Kilmarnock: Class 2P 4-4-0 40571 prepares to leave Kilmarnock on 6 May 1954 with a train for St Enoch via Dalry.
St Marnocks Goods: Shunting St Marnock's goods depot, Kilmarnock, on 6 May 1954 is ex-Caledonian 0-6-0 57651.
Kay Park Junction: Stanier 8F 2-8-0 no 48708 passing Kay Park Junction, Kilmarnock, on 6 May 1954 with a down freight. [Ref query 71]
Stewarton: 40571 photographed near Stewarton with a Kilmarnock local on 6 May 1954. [Ref query 22 July 2018]
Kilmarnock: Ex-Caledonian 0-6-0 57569 trundles through Kilmarnock with a down freight on 6 May 1954.
Barshagra Signal Box: The down Thames - Clyde Express photographed passing Neilston Low on 6 May 1954. The train is hauled by Royal Scot 4-6-0 no 46103 Royal Scots Fusilier.
St Marnocks Goods: Hurlford based ex-Caledonian 0-6-0 57651 shunting St Marnock's goods depot, Kilmarnock, on 6 May 1954. [Ref query 6403]
Bonnyton Junction: A train from Ardrossan brought to a halt alongside Kilmarnock no 1 signal box on 6 May 1954. Locomotive in charge is one of Hurlford shed's Fowler 2P 4-4-0s no 40643.
Stewarton: Jubilee 45640 Frobisher photographed at Stewarton with a St Enoch - Dumfries train on 6 May 1954. [Ref query 6 May 2019]
Barshagra Signal Box: 2P 4-4-0 40617 climbing Neilston Bank near the long closed Barshagra box in May 1954 with a Kilmarnock local. The chimney of the [[Fereneze Works]] is behind the train.
Glasgow Green: Ex-NB N15 0-6-2T 69163 makes a photostop at the closed Glasgow Green on 6 May 1961 with the BLS Bathgate and District rail tour. The special, which ran from Maryhill Central and finished at Glasgow Queen Street, was hauled by 69163 throughout. See image []
Baillieston [1st]: The BLS Bathgate and District Railtour of 6 May 1961 ran from Maryhill Central and covered various branches between Glasgow and the West Lothian town before finally returning to Queen Street. The special, which was hauled throughout by Eastfield shed's N15 0-6-2T no 69163, is seen here taking water at Baillieston on the outward journey. See image []
Maryhill Central: The BLS Bathgate & District Railtour waiting to leave Maryhill Central on 6 May 1961. The special visited various branches between Glasgow and Bathgate before finishing the tour at Glasgow Queen Street. The 3 coach train was hauled throughout by Eastfield shed's N15 0-6-2T 69163. See image []
Whifflet [NB]: Whifflet (N.B.R.) N.B.R. 0.6.2T 69163.
Anderston: N15 0-6-2T 69163 calls at Anderston Cross on 6 May 1961 with the BLS Bathgate and District rail tour from Maryhill Central. The station closed in August 1959, only to reopen some 20 years later as plain Anderston.
Bathgate Central Junction: N15 0-6-2T no 69163 at Bathgate Upper on 6 May 1961 with a BLS special from Maryhill Central. The locomotive has just run round its train which it is about to take on to Avonbridge.
Bathgate Upper: A BLS special stands at Bathgate Upper on 6 May 1961 behind N15 0-6-2T no 69163, having recently arrived from Maryhill Central. The locomotive was about to run round before embarking on the next leg of the journey to Avonbridge.
March: Locomotives in the shed yard at March, Cambridgeshire, on a Sunday morning in May 1962, with Retford (Thrumpton) O2 2-8-0 no 63976 in the centre of the picture. [Ref query 11742]
Busby Junction: 80058 takes a train from St Enoch onto the East Kilbride branch at Busby Junction on 6 May 1964.
Thirdpart Junction: Jubilee 45657 Tyrwhitt photographed at Thirdpart Junction on 6 May 1954 with a Kilmarnock to Ayr train. [Ref query 2631]
Pollokshaws West: A new dual carriageway bridge awaits positioning at Pollokshaws West on 6 May 1964 as Polmadie's Standard Class 5 4-6-0 no 73060 hurries past with the 5.30pm Glasgow - Carlisle service.
Kennishead: Black 5 no 45124 restarts the 5.38pm to Kilmarnock from Kennishead on 6 May 1964. The former Inverness based locomotive still retained an automatic tablet catcher on its cab door.
Crossmyloof: Corkerhill's Standard 2-6-4 tank no 80047 seen shortly after leaving Crossmyloof on 25 May 1965 with the 5.08pm service from St Enoch to East Kilbride. The train will shortly pass below the Cathcart Circle line to the north of Shawlands station.
Glasgow Central: Ticket sized timetable of the Glasgow to Euston and return services in 1974/75. Very handy little double-sided card, that is now also a reminder of the then newly electrified route. The 'Royal Scot' was timed at just five hours, while most other services only took a few minutes longer.
Glasgow Central: Hard to believe that this was 46 years ago. A British Rail Scotland Souvenir Cover for the commencement of the Electric Scots. See [].
Carstairs: The first day of the 'Electric Scots', seen from the Edinburgh portion of a southbound WCML train waiting in the loop north of Carstairs station on the morning of Monday 6th May 1974. The driver of the Glasgow portion queries when he'll get the road.
Sudbury [2nd]: The poster in the signal box window says 'Support local rail services. Use it, don't lose it!' The townsfolk of Sudbury, Suffolk, did and didn't. However, the box was abolished in early 1981 three years after this photo, from which time the train crews could no longer look forward to the kettle being on for them as they approached the Sudbury terminus.
Rose Street Junction: 26015 alongside Rose Street signal box, Inverness, in May 1980
Creswell Colliery: A pair of class 20 locomotives taking a loaded coal train north past Creswell Colliery, Derbyshire, in May 1980.
Creswell Colliery: 56010 southbound with West Burton power station - Shirebrook coal empties passing Creswell Colliery, North Derbyshire, on a bright and sunny May morning in 1980.
Tinsley Marshalling Yard: Looking north west at Tinsley Yard in May 1980 showing 20131+20057 passing through with a train of steel flats. Note the catenary on the far left used by electrically hauled trains off the ex-GC Woodhead route, at that time just over two months from closure.
Tinsley Marshalling Yard: View south east at Tinsley in May 1980 with 41A MPD in its elevated position top right. The depot opened in 1964 when it took over activities previously undertaken at Grimesthorpe, Darnall, Canklow and Millhouses. At its peak it had an allocation of over 200 locomotives. See image []
Mirfield: Brush Type 3s 31285 + 31264 double head a rake of fuel or bitumen bogie tanks west between Mirfield and Heaton Lodge Junction in May 1987.
Mirfield: A class 141 Pacer in early West Yorkshire PTE green livery runs off the Huddersfield line eastbound spur in May 1987 to join the former L&Y main line to its next call at Mirfield.
Nairn: 47550 eastbound through Nairn station in May 1988 with a single ferry wagon. The working is thought to be a late running consignment of either fruit (apples) or bagged dry goods from Germany which missed its slot on a Mossend - Aberdeen freight and had been rerouted via Inverness to minimise the delay. [With thanks to David Spaven, Kevin McCallum and Nigel Wunsch]
Oubeck Loops: A Dutch liveried Class 31 on the WCML at Oubeck Loops on 6th May 1992. It is hauling a rake of engineers' wagons, as they were called before the days of infrastructure trains. The signal controls the access to the Down loop, which can just be seen behind the train..
Oubeck Loops: A RES liveried Class 86 powers south at Oubeck Loops on 6th May 1992, hauling a short rake of parcels and Royal Mail vehicles.
Langwathby: The main station building on the down side at Langwathby, photographed in the spring of 2006. Opened by the Midland Railway in 1876, the station spent its first 5 months as Longwathby. View is north west towards the junction with the A686.
Crianlarich: Truck come OnTrack Machine in sidings at Crianlarich.
Pass of Brander: One of the Stone Signals which are only activated to Danger by rock fall.. Viewed from the 1240hrs service from Glasgow to Oban.
Alston: Looking into Alston station, South Tynedale Railway, from the level crossing in May 2006. No 4 is alongside the platform. See image []
Armathwaite Viaduct: View across fields towards the 1875 Armathwaite Viaduct in May 2006.
Naworth: The closed station of Naworth, Cumbria, on the Newcastle - Carlisle line. Photographed in May 2006, some 54 years after closure.
Alston: A wet day at Alston on 6 May 2006. At the platform is South Tynedale Railway No 4 Naworth [Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0DM No 4 of 1952]. This example was originally supplied to the NCB as an underground flameproof mine locomotive, suitably modified and distributed by the Huwood Mining Machinery Co of Team Valley, Gateshead. No 4 was previously employed at Horden Colliery in County Durham. The manufacturers nameplate displayed on the front of the locomotive is Huwood-Hudswell.
Brampton: The northside entrance to Brampton station, Cumbria, looking west in May 2006. The footpath straight ahead is the trackbed of the line that ran to Brampton Town, over a mile away, which closed to passengers in 1923. Brampton station was originally opened as Milton in 1836 since when it has undergone name changes to both Brampton Junction (twice) and plain Brampton (three times).
Appleby: A class 57 diesel locomotive drags a diverted Euston - Glasgow Pendolino service north through Appleby station on the Settle and Carlisle line in May 2006.
Appleby: Looking south west across the Settle and Carlisle Line towards the old goods shed and yard at Appleby in May 2006, following conversion to a training and heritage centre.
Low Row: The signal box standing alongside the level crossing and former station at Low Row on the Newcastle and Carlisle line near Brampton, Cumbria, looking south on 6 May 2006. What at first glance appears to be the signal box nameboard in fact states 'Railway Inn [100 Yds]'. See image []
Lazonby and Kirkoswald: A diverted Pendolino being dragged south through Lazonby station on the Settle and Carlisle line by a Virgin class 57 Thunderbird locomotive on Saturday 6 May 2006.
Brampton Fell Level Crossing: The 10.00 Stranraer Harbour - Newcastle Central ScotRail service passing Brampton Fell level crossing, Cumbria, in May 2006, just under half a mile short of Brampton station. Note the motorised boom crossing gates in use here see image [].
Appleby: A locally restored 'ICI Salt' box van standing outside Appleby Heritage Centre in May 2006.
Alston: The 1852 station building at Alston, seen here in May 2006 looking north from Station Road.
Appleby: Sunshine on Appleby station in May 2006, looking south west from the footbridge.
Alston: General view north east over Alston from Station Road on a wet May afternoon in 2006. The train stabled alongside the platform has No 4 on the front See image []
Appleby: Boxes and sheds, Appleby North, May 2006.
Kirkby Thore: A southbound Voyager on the Settle and Carlisle line on Saturday 6 May 2006, photographed passing the junction for the British Gypsum plant at Kirkby Thore.
Armathwaite: Entrance to the old goods yard at Armathwaite, looking north on 6 May 2006. The roof of the restored signal box is just visible beyond the right gate post. [Ref query 50001]
Appleby: The modified former station master's house at Appleby in May 2006. The house stands directly across the road from the main station entrance.
Appleby: The water tower and crane at the south end of Appleby station, photographed on 6 May 2006. The facilities were installed by the local Round Table in 1991 to service the increasing number of steam specials using the Settle & Carlisle route.
Barbush Viaduct: Sign on the River Allan at Ashfield to warn canoes about scaffolding on Barbush Viaduct downstream.
Barbush Viaduct: Barbush Viaduct undergoing repairs. Looking north.
Armathwaite: The extended (!) Armathwaite station in May 2006, looking south from the entrance on Station Road. [Ref query 9282]
Bridge of Allan: 4A11 the Grangemouth-Aberdeen freight approaches Bridge of Allan from the south. Stirling Castle is in the background on the left. In the foreground is stuff left from track maintenance.
Alloa: Alloa new station in construction on the site of the Alloa Brewery. The Brewery was to the right and this will be the carpark. To the left was the engine shed - occupied for the moment with a concrete plant.
Alloa Marshalling Yard: Looking west to Cambus from Alloa Yard. The Yard was to the left.
Manor Powis: New track waiting to be laid at Manor Powis in May 2006.
Ashfield Tunnel: 5D03, the empty parcels vans from Aberdeen to Motherwell TMD pass Ashfield.
Larbert Junction: Train from Edinburgh passes Larbert Junction box heading north.
Armathwaite: The 'Midland Type 2B' signal box alongside Armathwaite station, photographed in May 2006. Originally manufactured in kit form at the Midland Railway's signalling workshops in Derby, the box was assembled on this site in 1899 as a replacement for an earlier structure which had been destroyed by fire. Closed in January 1983 it is still owned by Network Rail, but in 1992 was leased to the 'Friends of the Settle & Carlisle Line', who have since restored it to original MR appearance.
Larbert Junction: A train for Edinburgh passes a train from Glasgow by Larbert Junction box.
Kincardine Power Station: A huge pile of ballast by the recently re-laid sidings in the former Kincardine Powerstation yard.
Haydon Bridge: The 1877 signal box at Haydon Bridge in May 2006. The box stands on the north side of the level crossing alongside the 1838 station on the Newcastle & Carlisle line. The crossing is notable as one of the declining number in the UK where crossing gates continue to be mechanically operated by the signalman turning a wheel within the box. [Gates subsequently replaced by lifting barriers]
Larbert Junction: Stump of signal for leaving the Denny Branch - bottom right. Looking north at Larbert Junction by the trackbed of the closed Denny Branch.
Lazonby and Kirkoswald: Handy for the office - old station masters house at Lazonby 2006.
Langwathby: The 1876 station at Langwathby on the Settle & Carlisle line, seen here on the morning of 6 May 2006. The building now houses its own version of the 'Brief Encounter' cafe.
Appleby: The 1876 main building on the down platform at Appleby. Photographed on a Saturday afternoon in May 2006 looking north east across the station car park.
Langwathby: Built to last! The former goods shed at Langwathby on the Settle & Carlisle Line in May 2006 - still in use for goods.
Gilsland: Known in the past for its sulphurous spa waters, the village of Gilsland stands alongside Hadrians Wall, straddling the border between Northumberland and Cumbria. The station was first opened in 1836 as Rose Hill but became Gilsland in 1869. Passenger services were eventually withdrawn in 1967. The photograph, taken looking north across the Newcastle & Carlisle line in May 2006 from the car park of the Station Hotel, shows the former main waiting room on the left with the booking office and station masters house in the centre. Note the arched ticket window and the old platform drinking fountain still in place. See image []
Muirend: Standing in the shadows. Passengers waiting below the canopy over platform 1 at Muirend station on 6 May 2007 welcome the arrival of a Sunday morning Neilston - Glasgow Central service formed by unit 314203.
Muirend: A Neilston - Glasgow Central service arriving at Muirend on 6 May 2007.
Giffnock: View from the car park at Giffnock towards the station building and northbound platform on 6 May 2007.
Euxton Junction: A Compass Railtours train heads south on the Up Slow, shortly after passing Euxton Junction, with Class 47s 47847 and 47815 double heading a Blue/Grey set of carriages on 06 May 2007. It is thought that this was an ECS move from Blackburn, following a tour that had originated there the day before, and prior to a tour the following day from Telford.
Hairmyres: A dmu from Glasgow Central about to leave Hairmyres on 6 May 2007 with a service for East Kilbride.
Crosshill: 'Breathe in...' View over Crosshill station in May 2007 - a lesson in efficient use of the available space.
Busby: The 09.27 East Kilbride - Glasgow Central DMU pulls way from the platform at Busby after a shower of rain on a May morning in 2007. The train has just crossed the bridge over the A726 heading for its next stop at Clarkston.
Mount Florida: View over Mount Florida on Sunday 6 May 2007 from the south end footbridge.
Cathcart: The leafy entrance to Cathcart station from Delvin Road on a pleasant May morning in 2007.
College Goods: View west from below the CGU bridge at the top of Molendinar Street along Bell Street showing (on the right) the remains of the urban viaduct that carried rail traffic to and from College goods yard, as well as supplying the large warehouse, seen here looking as good as ever following its conversion to flats. See image []
Gallowgate: View south along Molendinar Street towards Gallowgate on a wet 6 May 2007, with Bell Street running off to the right. Below the bridge are the arches that once formed the entrance to Gallowgate station (closed 1902). The bridge still carries the CGU line north towards High Street East Junction.
Gallowgate: Looking north at the top of Molendinar Street in 2007, with Gallowgate behind the camera. The bridge carries the CGU line between Saltmarket Junction and High Street East Junction. Round the corner under the bridge is the former entrance to Gallowgate station (closed as long ago as 1902). In the right background on the north side of Bell Street is part of the urban viaduct that once carried the lines into College goods depot, the huge warehouse of which still stands as flats see image [].
Crosshill: The slimline Crosshill station on the Cathcart Circle, photographed on a quiet Sunday morning in May 2007. View is north west from Albert Road bridge looking in the direction of Queens Park, with the gardens of Dixon Avenue on the right.
Maxwell Park: A station qualifying for the 'Special' category. Maxwell Park in May 2007.
Thorntonhall: The station building at Thorntonhall in the pouring rain on the morning of 6 May 2007. View towards East Kilbride.
Muirend: Passing trains for Glasgow Central and Neilston respectively meet at Muirend station on a Sunday morning in May 2007. View is north east towards Cathcart.
Busby: What's this... a new ScotRail long-distance service? The converted station building on the southbound platform at Busby in May 2007, now in use as a Chinese takeaway.
Thornliebank: East Kilbride - Glasgow Central service at Thornliebank on 6 May 2007.
Maxwell Park: Entrance to Maxwell Park station from Terregles Avenue on a wet Sunday morning in May 2007.
Maxwell Park: View west over Maxwell Park station on a quiet Sunday morning in the spring of 2007.
Williamwood: A train for Neilston leaving Williamwood platform 2 on 6 May 2007.
College Goods: Built in the mid 1870s by the City of Glasgow Union on the site of the Old College of the University of Glasgow, the former College Goods warehouse still stands as housing on Bell Street. View west towards High Street, May 2007.
College Goods: Looking east along Bell Street in May 2007, showing the former College Goods warehouse. The plate girder bridge carries the CGU line north towards High Street East Junction, with the entrance to the old Gallowgate station just off picture to the right below the bridge see image [].
Busby: A stone built former goods shed which has found a new use stands alongside Busby station on the East Kilbride line. This one, photographed in May 2007, forms part of a garden equipment business. The platforms are behind the fence on the right.
Gallowgate: A car wash and valet service occupying one of the arches of the entrance to the former high level Gallowgate station. Photographed looking south across Bell Street early on a wet Sunday morning in 2007, by which time the station had been closed for more than 105 years. While the original City of Glasgow Union station served passengers for a fairly short period (1871 - 1902) the line is still in use today, although for many years has seen only intermittent use by occasional freights [] and specials [].
Busby: View over Busby station on 6 May 2007 towards the former station building, now the Shanghai Express takeaway. A train for Glasgow Central is just leaving the northbound platform.
Maxwell Park: Looking north from Fotheringay Road towards Terregles Avenue through the upper level of the station building at Maxwell Park on a wet Sunday morning in May 2007.
Clarkston: A quiet Sunday morning at Clarkston. View north over the station on 6 May 2007.
Mount Florida: Southern entrance to platforms at Mount Florida. May 2007.
Giffnock: Platform view looking north through Giffnock station on 6 May 2007. A recently departed train for Glasgow Central is about to pass an approaching service on its way to East Kilbride.
Bishopton: 334 026 leaves Bishopton for Gourock on 6 May 2009.
Glasgow Central Low Level: A ghostly figure runs for a Milngavie train at Glasgow Central Low Level station on 6 May 2009. [He caught it]
Lawrence Hill: 150221 at Bristol's Lawrence Hill station on 6 May with a service to Filton, Abbey Wood.
Carlisle: The First ScotRail 0640 Ex-Girvan arrives at Carlisle on 6 May 2009. It will leave as the 0933 to Newcastle.
Glasgow Central: Mock-up of the forthcoming Class 380, taken at Glasgow Central on 6 May 2009, the day before opening to the general public.
Gourock: 334 018 waits in the rain at Gourock platform 3 on 6 May 2009.
Bishopton: There's no answer to that... ..a revolution in door technology at Bishopton, 6 May 2009.
Hoxton: A new class 378 unit heads away from Hoxton station towards Dalston Junction on the recently opened East London Line Extension on 6 May 2010
Glasgow Central: The archway over the new platforms 12 & 13 at Glasgow Central. Notice the banner repeater to the right under test at 13.
Shields Road: Passing Shields Depot on 6th May 2010 showing the progress on the depot being built for the new Class 380 trains that will be based here.
Alresford (Hampshire): Standard class 9F no 92212 photographed in action during the Mid Hants Railway's Spring Gala Day on 6 May 2010.
Balshaw Lane Junction: 'Rail Blue Charters' Watford Junction to Edinburgh tour on 6 May 2011 with 86101 and an immaculate set of blue/grey coaches, recreating a scene on the WCML from 35 years ago. The tour is seen on the outward leg approaching Balshaw Lane Junction under a grey rather than blue sky.
Belfast Great Victoria Street: Scene at Belfast Great Victoria Street on 6 May 2011.
Kilwinning: Southbound 380110+380012 about to enter Kilwinning station on 6 May, just as 334039 prepares to leave with a service for Glasgow Central.
Lostock Hall: 66095 accelerates 13 of the new bitumen tankers through Lostock Hall station with the return empties working from Preston Dock to Lindsey near Immingham.
Balshaw Lane Junction: 92017 in the livery of a well known transport operator hauling containers of a well known supermarket heading north on 6 May 2011 approaching Balshaw Lane Junction.
Kilwinning: 380004 arrives at Kilwinning on 6 May with the 16.20 Largs to Glasgow Central service.
Bangor: Looking over the buffer stops at Bangor terminus on 6 May 2011.
Norbreck: Tram 008, heading for Fleetwood Ferry, slows across the level crossing to call at Norbreck on 6 May 2012. To the right of the tram is the Norbreck Castle hotel, a local landmark overlooking the cliffs.
Dunblane Junction: A view of Dunblane signal box and its associated infrastructure on 6th May 2012. Special thanks are due to Network Rail and associated contractors for kindly removing the overlooking footbridge for the day to allow me to record this once in a lifetime image see image [].
Gorebridge: Boarded-up houses awaiting demolition alongside the Waverley trackbed at Gorebridge on 6 May 2012, photographed from Station Road.
Amble: All that remains of the Station, coal holding sidings and staiths complex at Amble in 2012. Once served by a branch from the ECML (Chevington) and NCB lines from Broomhill, Togston, Radcliffe and Hauxley. The Station closed to scheduled passenger services in 1930, other than occasional excursions. The lines were lifted after coal exports through the harbour ceased in 1969. View is west, the Staiths complex was located behind the camera.
Winchcombe: Repainted 'Turkish' 8F heading the service train from Winchcombe to Cheltenham Racecourse. It is now in LMS black and running as 8274.
Winchcombe: Electro-diesel E6036 at Winchcombe on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway on 6 May 2012 on a driver training exercise.
Winchcombe: Henschel 0-8-0 no 1091 running on the narrow gauge setup at Winchcombe on 6 May 2012.
Winchcombe: The repainted 'Turkish' Stanier 8F - seen here as LMS 8274 - running round at Winchcombe on 6 May 2012. See image []
Winchcombe: Scene at Winchcombe on 6 May 2012, with 'Turkish' Stanier 8F - seen here as LMS 8274 - in the process of running round its train.
Amble: Looking ahead and slightly right is the line of the BR (NER) Amble Staith approach and return tracks. Crossing diagonally on the level from right to left is the line of the NCB (Broomhill Colliery Company) Staith approach and return tracks. The harbour is c. 300 m beyond the crossing point, much now obscured by 1970's housing. Coal exports ceased from Amble in 1969. Up to that time a pint in the Schooner Inn (larger building ahead and left) would have been far from quiet. Collieries shipping through Amble would have principally been, Whittle, Widdrington and Shillbottle (BR staith) and Broomhill, Radcliffe, Hauxley and Chevington (NCB Staith). Buckingham Palace burnt only Shilbottle Coal - allegedly.
Bispham [Tram]: The traditionally styled Bispham Station building still stands alongside the Blackpool and Fleetwood Tramway although a new level access platform has been grafted onto the front. This image of Tram 006 leaving for Fleetwood Ferry was taken from the new staggered Blackpool bound platform.
Starr Gate: Transformation complete. Tram 008 draws forward at Starr Gate prior to reversing to the new departure platform in May 2012. The changes at Starr Gate, including the new depot, are significant but the old gentleman on the left has survived them all. See image [] for the same location prior to the renewal.
Sheffield Park: BR Standard Class 9F 92212, waiting to depart from Sheffield Park, with a Bluebell Railway train to East Grinstead, on Bank Holiday Monday, 6th May 2013. I was behind a fence, out of view on the right, when I took this photo and NOT trespassing on the tracks. For brief details of the history of this locomotive, see my photo of it arriving at Horsted Keynes station taken on the same day.
Lumphinnans Central Junction: 60009 and 61994 pass the former Lumphinnans Central Junction on 6 May en route from their Thornton base to NRM York.
West End - Princes Street [Tram]: A rail grinder at work in Shandwick Place on 6 May 2013. See image []
Balshaw Lane Junction: Coming off the up slow line at Balshaw Lane Junction, a Northern service from Blackpool to Liverpool appears during the late afternoon of 6 May 2013.
Balshaw Lane Junction: First TransPennine 185110 approaches Balshaw Lane Junction on a Manchester Airport to Blackpool service on 6 May 2013.
Haymarket: Approaching Haymarket by train on 6 May, with the tramway on the left (with loop) and 156506 standing in platform 0.
Balshaw Lane Junction: An 11 car Virgin Pendolino heads north towards Balshaw Lane Junction in the late afternoon sunshine with a Euston to Glasgow service on 6 May 2013.
Balshaw Lane Junction: A late running Birmingham to Edinburgh Voyager approaches Balshaw Lane Junction on 6 May 2013.
Sprouston: Bridge built by the NER a mile east of Sprouston, between Kelso and Tweedmouth, on the route opened in 1849. Hard to believe now that this line once saw diverted express passenger trains.
Hurst Green: The 'up' platform at Hurst Green station in East Sussex, seen from 377163 with 377160 calling at the 'down' with a Southern service from London Victoria to East Grinstead, on 6th May 2013. Just south of here the line to East Grinstead continues south while that to Uckfield diverges to the south-east before turning south and then south-west. The latter, of course, used to continue through to Lewes until the senseless closure of the Uckfield to Lewes section in January 1969, robbing the Brighton Main Line of an alternative route to London at times as happened recently when the main line was closed between Brighton and Three Bridges for a week. Part of the old line at Isfield is now a short heritage railway designated The Lavender Line.
East Grinstead (Bluebell Railway): Preserved Southern Railway Maunsell 2-6-0 U class no. 1638 arriving over Imberhorne Viaduct into the new northern terminus of the Bluebell Railway at East Grinstead, on the morning of Bank Holiday Monday, 6th May 2013, two months after the long-held dream of reaching the Sussex town was achieved with the reopening from Kingscote on 8th March.
East Grinstead (Bluebell Railway): 8th March 2013 was a momentous day in the history of the UK's first preserved standard gauge heritage railway when the Bluebell finally achieved its long term aim of reopening to East Grinstead and a connection with the National Rail network that was lost when the Haywards Heath to Horsted Keynes line closed in 1963. This view shows the, as yet, somewhat spartan new terminus for the Bluebell Railway on the morning of Bank Holiday Monday, 6th May 2013, a few weeks after the extension from Kingscote opened.
Horsted Keynes: British Railways Standard Class 9F no. 92212 arriving at Horsted Keynes station with a Bluebell Railway service from Sheffield Park to East Grinstead, on Bank Holiday Monday, 6th May 2013. This was one of the last 9Fs to be built at the ex-GWR's Swindon works and came off the production line in September 1959. After a stint on the much lamented Somerset & Dorset Line and lines in Wales, it was withdrawn from service after less than 10 years in January 1968 and found its way to Woodham's scrapyard at Barry. Eventually rescued for preservation, it was not until the early 21st Century that an extensive two years overhaul was taken with the locomotive returning to steam on 11th September 2009. It is now based at the Mid-Hants Railway.
Whitrope Bank: A couple of miles north of Whitrope Tunnel this is the view looking south. See image []
Teviot Viaduct: Remains of the Teviot Viaduct that once carried trains across the river immediately south of Hawick station, seen here looking east at low water in May 2014.
Longtown: We could speculate about the possible future reopening of the Waverley route from Tweedback through to Carlisle till the cows come home but... hang on a minute... well I never - would you look at that! View towards Carlisle from a road bridge less than a mile to the south of Longtown on 6 May 2015, with this section of the Waverley trackbed having recently been concreted over.
Glasgow Queen Street High Level: General view of the works at Queen Street station from Buchanan Galleries on 6th May 2016, day 48 of the closure for the tunnel and EGIP works. Platforms 1-6 have been realigned and extended northwards towards the tunnel and the track relaid, but pointwork has yet to be replaced. Platform 7 still has its old track and remains connected to the down line in the tunnel. New rails have been placed in the 'four foot' of the adjacent platform 6 road. Platform edges are nearing completion and the infill will follow. Some slabtrack for the tunnel works is stored in the station. Progress is reported to be on target for these works.
Glasgow Queen Street High Level: Detail of Queen Street station platforms 6 and 7 taken from Buchanan Galleries on 6th May 2016. Demolition of some small buildings on platform 7 is in progress and the 'join' between the old and new parts of platform 6 can be seen.
Bellgrove: The 6 car 11:31 Queen Street to Edinburgh via Falkirk High DMU is about to take the line via Springburn as it passes through Bellgrove during the period of diversions due to the closure of Queen Street High level for work on the High Level Tunnel. An Airdrie - Balloch EMU is approaching in the other direction.
Quorn and Woodhouse: LMS Jinty 3F 47406 shunting a parcels van at Quorn & Woodhouse during the GCR 2017 Gala. Locos were operating passenger and freight trains turn and turn about and the 0-6-0T was acting as a shunting engine making and breaking train sets in Quorn goods yard.
Poulton-le-Fylde: A Blackpool North to Huddersfield service passes over newly relaid tracks as it slows for the Poulton stop on 6th May 2017. The station ticket office and main entrance can be seen on top of the bridge. Catenary will be erected here during the next twelve months.
Loughborough Central: A Met-Camm DMU set running a shuttle service from Loughborough to Rothley. Note the destination blind ('Barrow Ship Yard'), the rear car says Morecambe Promenade.
Achnasheen: K1 No.62005 heads * The Great Britain X * to Kyle of Lochalsh.Pictured approaching Achnasheen.The peaks in the background are Sgurr a'Choire-Rainich 848M and Sgurr a'Ghlas Leathaid 844M.
Leicester North: BR Standard 9F 92214 arriving at Leicester North Station.
Quorn and Woodhouse: Having completed some leisurely shunting in the yard at Quorn, LMS Jinty 3F 0-6-0T 47406 departs for Rothley hauling a 3 coach local train.
Loughborough Central: The GCR held a Gala day over this weekend, specialising in freight trains mixed in with the usual passenger workings. The locos took turns to work either type of train. Here is a collection of 08s, there was a total of 5 in the yard. On view 08683, 08480 & 13101 seen at Loughborough Station.
Coventry Airport: ERM museum for electric trains, none of which can move under their own power, because there is no electricity supply; and no covered storage. It is next to Coventry Airport and a lot tidier than it was a few years ago but has just announced it has to close in October 2017 as the land is being redeveloped. Appeals are being made to house the collection at various sites until it can be reassembled at a new location. Visit while you can.
Low Moor: Arrival at Low Moor. The station re-opened on the 2nd of April 2017.
Loughborough Central: BR Standard 9F 2-10-0 92214 taking water at Loughborough Central on 6th May 2017.
Bradford Forster Square: Despite being hugely reduced in size, Bradford Forster Square is still a large three platform station. This view looks north.
Poulton-le-Fylde: With the dismantling of the Fleetwood line junction at Poulton the Fleetwood starter, on the right of the bracket signal, has also been removed. See image [] The remaining Poulton semaphores are also in their last year of service as a long complete closure of the Blackpool lines is planned for winter 2017/18 to complete electrification works.
Quorn and Woodhouse: BR Standard Class 4 Tank 80136 on a southbound passenger train on the double track section at Quorn on 6th May 2017.
Low Moor: Low Moor station, between Halifax and Bradford, reopened on 2nd April 2017 having previously closed in 1965.
Quorn and Woodhouse: BR Standard Class 2 78018 heading a southbound freight using the Windcutter mineral wagon rake. Seen at Quorn and Woodhouse during a GCR Gala on 6th May 2017
Edinburgh Waverley: Notes from a model of a Reid Atlantic now on display at the Virgin Trains East Coast reception on Waverley Station See image [].
Quorn and Woodhouse: LMS 8F 48624 departing Quorn with a passenger train during the GCR Gala day, specialising in freight trains mixed in with the usual passenger workings. The locos took turns to work either type of train.
Bradkirk Junction: 150204, forming a Manchester Victoria to Blackpool North service, passes Bradkirk on 6th May 2017. Mast bases have been dropped off either side of the running lines in preparation for electrification. To the left of the train remnants of the Marton line to Blackpool Central (closed 1964) can be seen diverging at this point, plus of course the famous Tower above the bridge.
Bradford Interchange: A view south at Bradford Interchange with a Grand Central Class 180 Adelante unit preparing to depart for London Kings Cross.
Quorn and Woodhouse: On display at the Great Central Railway gala on 6 May 2017 were the smokebox and cab of the new build Clan project. Bearing the number 72010, which would have been next in the Clan series if the order hadn't been cancelled, these initial parts of the locomotive, which will carry the name Hengist, are seen here in the yard at Quorn & Woodhouse. See image []
Poulton-le-Fylde: 150201 leaves Poulton and negotiates the 20mph curve on the last leg of a Buxton to Blackpool North service on 6th May 2017. This image shows the changing infrastructure at the station with the recently removed junction for the Fleetwood line and the associated signalling. See image [] from 2010.
Bradkirk Junction: Looking east from the footbridge at Bradkirk one of the two direct Marton Line tracks from Kirkham is still partly in situ as after closure it served a Civil Engineers spoil tip. The westbound tracks split here with one line going over a flyover to Kirkham North Junction. The line of trees curving sharply right marks the old line to Wrea Green and Lytham, which finally closed in 1967 and has almost completely disappeared, as has the brickworks that occupied the field. [Ref query 1010]
Grafton East Junction: 46100 Royal Scot with the Cathedrals Express at Crofton, en route to Bristol on 6th May 2017.
Poulton-le-Fylde: The Fleetwood line junction at Poulton, which was relaid around ten years ago but never used, has been removed prior to electrification. On 6th May 2017, 158759 passes the lifted track sections as it slows for the station stop on a York service. See image [] for an earlier view from the same vantage point.
Whitegate: In order to gain access to industry in Winsford, the CLC constructed a line from just west of Cuddington to Winsford & Over. The only other station on the branch was at Whitegate, although the village of the same name is many miles away. Much of the trackbed of the branch has been converted into The Whitegate Way and the station building at Whitegate is now a very pleasant cafe. This view north-west shows the station complete with platform face on 06 May 2018 prior to taking refreshments.
Lostock Gralam: A Manchester to Chester service departs from Lostock Gralam on 06 May 2018.
Northwich: With engineering work between Warrington and Chester, ATW services to Chester and North Wales from Manchester were diverted via the CLC route through Northwich on 06 May 2018.
Acton Bridge: All quiet on the West Coast Main Line on 06 May 2018 at Acton Bridge. With a possession in place there was nothing to see here so I moved along. The view is northwards with the station building the red brick structure on the right.
Interiors: Interior view of Blackpool Brush Railcar No.623 working a Heritage service from the Pleasure Beach on 6th May 2018. The tram is normally based on the Heaton Park Tramway in Manchester but had returned to Blackpool for the 80th anniversary of these trams in 2017. The cramped (standing only) driving cab is very noticeable.
Greenbank: A Chester to Southport service departs from Greenbank on 06 May 2018. When opened the station was named Hartford and Greenbank however the Hartford was dropped by BR in the early 1970s.
Cuddington: A view of an almost deserted Cuddington station, looking north-east from the bridge carrying Norley Road over the railway on 06 May 2018.
Tower [Tram]: Brush Railcoach 630, in 1990s Blackpool livery, is seen on the promenade by the Tower from the top deck of a Balloon tram heading towards the Pleasure Beach on 6th May 2018.
Warrington West: The site for the new Warrington West railway station and bus interchange seen on 06 May 2018 with a Northern service from Manchester to Liverpool via Warrington Central passing. Building work has already commenced on the left and latest estimates are that it should open during 2019.
Bispham [Tram]: The driving position on Bolton No.66 looks a grand place to be working on a sunny bank holiday in Blackpool. It would have been a different story climbing to Tonge Moor in the middle of winter. The early tram drivers must have been hardy folk. 6th May 2018
Burntisland: On the left of this photo at Burntisland you can see a 'bughotel' supported by ScotRail's biodiversity fund. 6th May 2018.
Sheepford Mineral Depot: An engraved stone, commemorating the building of the Monkland Canal, seen at Sheepford Locks in May 2019.
Sheepford Swing Bridge: A former railway bridge, over what was the Monkland Canal, at the entrance to Sheepford Mineral Depot. Seen on 6th May 2019. This line and swing bridge was built to replace the original alignment to Sheepford.
Woodacre Crossing: Colas 70815 and 70803 work light engine from Crewe to Carlisle and are seen approaching Woodacre on 6th May 2019. The line here had been closed for the previous two days over the weekend and several trains that usually run overnight had been changed to daytime paths.
Calder: The trackbed of the Rutherglen & Coatbridge railway looking towards Airdrie in May 2019 with the overbridge of Lock St first and the Calder Viaduct in the distance. This now forms part of the National Cycle Path No.75 which runs between Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Charing Cross [GC and DR]: A different view of Charing Cross station, taken in May 2019.
Sheepford Viaduct: The trackbed on Calder Viaduct looking towards Airdrie in May 2019. This now forms part of the National Cycle Path No.75 which runs between Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Gainford Bridge: Just west of Gainford village there are two arched stone bridges crossing the upper reaches of the River Tees, in close proximity to each other as it winds it way to the east coast. These are on the former line between Darlngton and Barnard Castle. The easternmost bridge is Gainford Bridge with the westernmost one being West Tees Bridge. This view taken at the waters edge looking south in May 2019 shows two of the four arches of Gainford Bridge with the third arch mostly hidden by the low hanging tree branches.
Sheepford Viaduct: A view of Calder Viaduct from the infilled Monkland Canal on 6th May 2019.
Gainford Bridge: Just west of Gainford village there are two arched stone bridges crossing the upper reaches of the River Tees, in close proximity to each other as it winds it way to the east coast. These are for the former line between Darlngton and Barnard Castle. The easternmost bridge is Gainford Bridge with the westernmost one being West Tees Bridge. This view taken at the waters edge looking north east shows three of the four arches of West Tees Bridge with the fourth arch mostly hidden by the low hanging tree branches.
Gainford Bridge: Just west of Gainford village there are two arched stone bridges crossing the upper reaches of the River Tees, in close proximity to each other as it winds it way to the east coast. These are on the former line between Darlngton and Barnard Castle. The easternmost bridge is Gainford Bridge with the westernmost one being West Tees Bridge. This view taken looking south west from close to the former road overbridge on the nearby A67 road shows the deck of the fenced off Gainford Bridge. Tree growth over the last 11 years prevents a now view from the same location as that of 2008 See image []
Gainford Bridge: Just west of Gainford village there are two arched stone bridges crossing the upper reaches of the River Tees, in close proximity to each other as it winds it way to the east coast. These are on the former line between Darlngton and Barnard Castle. The easternmost bridge is Gainford Bridge with the westernmost one being West Tees Bridge. This view looking south east looks across the deck of the fenced off West Tees Bridge. The Tees Way footpath runs along the top of the rail embankment from the A67 road, almost to the bridge, before steps descend down to the river bank for the path to continue west alongside the river.
Brock Water Troughs: A TPE Class 397 speeds northwards alongside the Lancaster Canal at Brock working from Preston to Edinburgh on 6th May 2020. This shot incidental to a permitted exercise walk - so incidental I didn't have my camera and it was taken with my phone.
Garstang and Catterall: Coal merchants are a dwindling breed but where they survive they are often located in the places where they were historically supplied. This still busy yard at Garstang and Catterall, sandwiched between the canal and railway, probably originally received supplies of coal from both although now of course it is entirely by road. Beyond the embankment the station house can be seen alongside the line but all other traces of the station have gone. Photograph incidental to a daily permitted exercise walk.
Stonehaven: A shunting disaster. Not long after I had moved to Stonehaven in 1995, there was a bit of shunting taking place up the embankment and a wagon was shunted down to the buffer stop, which failed catastrophically. The bolts were so badly corroded, they just could not take the loading. The wagon came down the embankment leaving the scars on the A957 Slug Road to Banchory. Fortunately there were no cars or pedestrians passing at the time. The fence was replaced by NR a year or so back and has nothing to do with the original incident.
Events from the chronology which occured on this day. This generally lists events before 1995, the creation of the website.
|1833||Grand Junction Railway||Line authorised.|
|1850||Belfast and County Down Railway||Opened from Queen^s_Quay_South_>Belfast Queen^s Quay South to Comber and 1st_>Newtownards 1st . (Two sets of platforms at Queens Quay were maintained - the originals for the Holywood line and new platforms, to the south, for the 1st_>Newtownards 1st line.)|
|1896||West Highland Railway||Derailment at 1st_>Banavie Junction 1st (now Fort William Junction).|
|1968||Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway)||Leith Walk West Goods to CR_>Seafield Junction CR (excluded) closed.|
|1968||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway||Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier to 2nd_>Stevenson No 1 Signal Box 2nd closed to all traffic, (Ardrossan North Goods coal yard and Ardrossan Refinery's bitumen depot remained accessible through harbour sidings from Ardrossan Town).|
|1968||Alloa Railway||Longcarse Junction (excluded) to Throsk (excluded) closed to freight.|
|1968||Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway||Banff to Tillynaught closed to freight.|
|1968||Stirling and Dunfermline Railway||Dunfermline; Townhill Junction to Touch North Junction closed to passengers.|
|1968||Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway) Morayshire Railway||Elgin East to GNSR_>Buckie GNSR to Cairnie Junction closed to passengers.|
|1968||Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway)||GNSR_>Buckie GNSR to Cairnie Junction closed to all traffic. (Grange North Junction to Cairnie Junction remained double until the end.|
|1968||Keith and Dufftown RailwayMorayshire RailwayStrathspey Railway||Elgin East to Craigellachie to Keith Junction closed to passengers.|
|1968||Aberystwyth and Welch Coast Railway||Abererch Halt renamed Abererch.|
|1968||Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway||Abergavenny Monmouth Road renamed Abergavenny.|
|1968||Rhymney Railway||Aber Junction renamed Aber Halt|
|1968||Aberystwyth and Welch Coast Railway||Abertafol Halt renamed Abertafol.|
|1968||Roath Branch (Taff Vale Railway)||Closed.|
|1974||Caledonian Railway Wishaw and Coltness Railway Clydesdale Junction Railway Polloc and Govan Railway Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)||Glasgow Central to Carlisle electrification complete.|
|1974||Lancaster and Carlisle Railway Lancaster and Preston Junction Railway Preston and Wigan Railway||Electric services begin.|
|1994||Channel Tunnel||Official opening by the Queen and President Francois Mitterand.|
|2001||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway||Accident at Moulinearn Level Crossing (the former Moulinearn Crossing). An occupant of a car hit by a train at the crossing later died.|
These are old news items which which occured on this day. This generally lists events after 1995, the creation of the website.
|2001||Accident at Moulinearn Level Crossing||An Edinburgh to Inverness train struck a car on Moulinearn Level crossing.|
|2003||Rail Passengers Committee meeting on Arran||RPC meeting on the 6th and 7th of May at the Auchrannie House Hotel Brodick Isle of Arran.|
|2003||Tay Bridge refurbishment complete||It was announced at the RPC meeting that completion of the Tay Bridge refurbishment in April restored the route to RA8. This will allow freight to pass over the bridge.|
|2003||Singer platform shelter under construction||Work is under way to provide a new shelter on the up platform at Singer as the Scottish pilot for the Modern Facilities At Stations Programme.|
|2004||Rail regulator defends his power [BBC News]||The rail regulator, Tom Winsor, hits back after transport minister Kim Howells^ attack on his power to decide how much is spent on the railways.|
|2004||Fisherman guilty of racial abuse [BBC News]||A Grimsby fisherman admits racially abusing and assaulting a fellow passenger on a train between Dundee and Edinburgh.|
|2004||RMT threatens strike travel chaos [BBC News]||A strike by thousands of Network Rail workers could cause the worst disruption for a decade, union general secretary Bob Crowe says.|
|2004||Call to join Scots cities with fast bullet train [Scotsman]||THE Scottish Executive was last night facing mounting pressure to back proposals for a bullet train between Edinburgh and Glasgow which would cut journey times to 30 minutes.|
|2005||Defendant ^tried to warn^ driver [BBC News]||A man accused of deliberately leaving his car on a railway line claims he tried to warn the driver.|
|2005||Strike averted [Scotsman]||MEMBERS of the Transport and General Workers Union have called off the strike which was due to close the Glasgow underground until Sunday after talks with Strathclyde Passenger Transport.|
|2009||75 new recruits for £20m Tay Bridge contract [Network Rail Article]||Network Rail has announced the creation of 75 new jobs as part of a £20m contract to help restore the Tay Bridge, the longest bridge on Britainís rail network and a vital link to the north east of Scotland.|
|2009||The future of rail [DfT]||Transcript of speech given by Rail Minister Lord Adonis on 5 May 2009. [From Mark Bartlett]|
|2009||Branson dressing down for ^patronising^ rail workers in advert [BBC News Article]||Sir Richard Branson is accused of patronising rail staff after dressing up as a tattooed cleaner with rotten teeth.|
|2010||Thieves steal £135,000 tram cables [The Gazette]||Blackpool: SPECIAL security patrols are to guard over-head tram cables after thieves ripped down the high-value wires. [From Mark Bartlett]|
|2016||Rail journey numbers in UK increase during past year [BBC News]||Rail passengers in Britain made about 1.7 billion train journeys during the past year, according to the Rail Delivery Group. The figures are a 3.7% rise on the previous 12 months, with journeys in London and south-east England increasing by 4.2% to 1.2 billion.|
|2018||Disruption to Glasgow Central services due to severe overhead line damage [BBC News]||Rail passengers are facing disruption and delays due to severe damage to overhead lines just outside Glasgow Central station. ScotRail said services to and from the station^s high level were disrupted. The train company has apologised after services ground to a halt at about 21:15 on Saturday. Ten trains travelling on high level routes lost power and passengers had to wait to be led to safety by ScotRail staff. Some passengers, commenting on social media, said that they had been stuck on trains for several hours and had to be helped off by engineers with ladders. ScotRail said all passengers were removed from the affected trains by 00:45. They were then advised to find alternative transport home, with some offered taxis.|
|2019||ScotRail is recruiting trainee train drivers “ with salaries from £48,360 a year [Evening Express]||ScotRail is looking for trainee train drivers “ with salaries being advertised at more than £48,000 a year once you complete your training.|
|2019||Last surviving British eight-ton armoured train that hauled munitions to WWI front line is restored [Daily Mail]||Volunteers at Greensand Railway Museum Trust in Bedfordshire have spent the past decade bringing the historic Simplex 40HP LR2182 back to full working order as part of a ¬£20,000 project.|
|2019||Summer of disruption for rail travellers [Grampian Online]||Passengers travelling from the Grampian area to Aberdeen by train are set for a summer of disruption. Network Rail engineers will be working until mid-August to complete a multi-million pound upgrade to track and signalling between Aberdeen and Inverurie. Until August 19, the railway will undergo a series of closures to allow engineers to double the track between Dyce and Inverurie, carry-out bridge upgrades and deliver signalling enhancements.|
|2020||COVID-19: meet the railway heroes [RAIL]||Paul Stephen speaks to some of the men and women tasked with keeping the nation^s rail network moving and maintaining this vital public service.|
|2020||Crossrail warns of safety risk from Populouss glowing Sphere [Architects Journal]||Crossrail chiefs have warned that Populous^s high-profile Sphere scheme in east London could compromise safety on the £18 billion rail link.|
|2020||ScotRail passengers face event-style queues and one-way platforms [Scotsman]||Major event-style queuing systems are expected for the rest of the year at main stations when lockdown restrictions are eased.|