Tillynaught: Gresley K2 2-6-0 no 61792 calls at Tillynaught Junction on Saturday 17 April 1954 with a train for Elgin via the coast.
Tillynaught: Looking south towards Tillynaught Junction on 17 April 1954 as K2 2-6-0 61792 pulls away with a train for Elgin via the coast. [Ref query 49762]
Banff: McIntosh 0-4-4T 55185 with a pair of ex-Caledonian corridor coaches at Banff station in the spring of 1954.
Fraserburgh: J36 0-6-0 65339 leaves Fraserburgh with the goods on 17 April 1954.
Banff: McIntosh ex-Caledonian 0-4-4T 55185 ready to leave Banff for Tillynaught on 17 April 1954.
Whiteinch West Junction: Parkhead V3 67613 passing Whiteinch West Junction on 17 April 1957 with a train for Helensburgh Central. [Ref query 4586]
Hyndland East Junction: Gresley V1 2-6-2T 67603 takes a train for Drumry through Whiteinch East Junction (now Hyndland East) on 17 April 1957 [ref query 1039].
Hurlford Shed: Local Hero. Gresley class V3 2-6-2 67679 on the scrap road at Hurlford on 17 April 1962. The locomotive had been one of a number of previously withdrawn examples reinstated to work the emergency steam hauled services put into operation while remedial work was carried out on the new electric Blue Trains.
Hurlford Shed: Withdrawn Caley Jumbo 57353 stored awaiting disposal on the scrap road at Hurlford shed, Kilmarnock, on 17 April 1962. The 1894 veteran was eventually cut up at Connels of Coatbridge in June the following year.
Hurlford Shed: Caley Jumbo 0-6-0 no 57331 on Hurlford shed in April 1962, some 5 months before withdrawal.
Hurlford Shed: An old coach photographed in the sidings at Hurlford in April 1962. The vehicle is thought to be a former Glasgow & South Western Railway passenger brake van, dating from the early 1900s. [Ref query 5623]
Hurlford Shed: Gresley V3 2-6-2T no 67633 in the shed yard at Hurlford in April 1962, within a few days of its reallocation there from 65C Parkhead.
Hurlford Shed: One of the Pickersgill Caledonian 0-4-4 tank locomotives built primarily for banking duties, no 55240, standing out of use in the shed yard at Hurlford on 17 April 1962. Withdrawn from Ayr shed some 9 months earlier, 55240 met its end at Connels of Coatbridge in October 1963.
Hurlford Shed: Crab 2-6-0 no 42741 alongside the coaling stage at Hurlford shed in April 1962.
Hurlford Shed: Pickersgill 3F 0-6-0 no 57650 awaiting disposal in the sidings at Hurlford in April 1962. Withdrawn from 67B the previous November, the locomotive was cut up at Connels of Coatbridge in May 1963.
Hurlford Shed: The stored locomotive line at Hurlford shed in the spring of 1962. Nearest the camera is Jumbo 57353, officially withdrawn from 67B in November the previous year.
Hurlford Shed: Drummond 2F 0-6-0 no 57359 standing in a line of locomotives awaiting disposal at Hurlford shed in April 1962. The end in this case came in June 1963 in the yard of Messrs Connel of Coatbridge.
Hurlford Shed: Steam locomotives stored in the sidings alongside Hurlford shed in April 1962, including Stanier 2-6-2T no 40151. The locomotive was officially withdrawn from 67B at the end of that year and was disposed of through MMS Wishaw in December 1963.
Hurlford Shed: A lineup of condemned locomotives alongside Hurlford shed on 17 April 1962, including class J83 0-6-0T no 68458. Withdrawn from Ayr shed 3 months earlier, 68458 was cut up at Campbell's of Airdrie in April 1963.
Hurlford Shed: Gresley V3 2-6-2T 67607 at Hurlford shed on 17 April 1962. The locomotive was 'officially' withdrawn from here 8 months later and eventually cut up at Darlington Works in November 1963.
Hurlford Shed: Class 2P 4-4-0 no 40640 stands in a line of condemned locomotives awaiting disposal at Hurlford shed in April 1962. 40640 had been withdrawn from Ayr in September 1961 and was scrapped at Connels, Coatbridge, in July 1963.
Berwick-upon-Tweed: Peppercorn A1 Pacific no 60127 Wilson Worsdell climbs away from Berwick with a down evening freight in April 1963, at which time the locomotive was allocated to Tweedmouth shed.
East Kilbride: The preserved ex-Highland Railway Jones Goods 4-6-0 no 103 stands at East Kilbride on 17 April 1965, shortly after arriving with Scottish Rambler no 4 from Glasgow St Enoch.
Renfrew Wharf: HR 103 with the Scottish Rambler at Renfrew Wharf in 1965
East Kilbride: HR 103 running round the SLS/BLS Scottish Rambler no 4 at East Kilbride on 17 April 1965.
Govan: HR 103 at Govan with the Scottish Rambler in 1965
West Street Junction: HR 103 runs round the 1965 Scottish Rambler at West Street Junction, Glasgow, having returned from Terminus Quay. Note: the location just east of the junction, looking west.
Blackstone Junction: HR 103 at Blackstone Junction bound for the Linwood Branch with the Scottish Rambler
Bridge of Weir [2nd]: The Jones Goods taking on water at Bridge of Weir on 17 April 1965 with the SLS/BLS Scottish Rambler No 4.
Potterhill: HR 103 at Potterhill with the 1965 Scottish Rambler.
Ferguslie: The Jones Goods stands at Ferguslie station with the Scottish Rambler in April 1965. The Paisley Canal line is in the background.
Thorntonhall: The Jones Goods HR 103 stops at Thorntonhall on 17 April 1965 with the SLS/BLS Scottish Rambler No 4 on its way back from East Kilbride.
Blackford Hill: The LGW block grain train from Leith to Gorgie is pictured on Friday 17 April 1970 negotiating the sinuous section of the Sub between Newington and Blackford Hill on the approach to the latter. Motive power is the customary Clayton, in this case No. D8583.
Newington [NBR]: EE Type 3 No. 6858 brings the 16.27 Millerhill - Carlisle under Mayfield Road, just west of Newington station on 17 April 1970. The train will use the Sub as far as Craiglockhart Junction where it will take the spur to Slateford Junction and the ex CR route to Carstairs.
Newington [NBR]: EE Type 4 No. 270 leans to the curves between Newington and Blackford Hill as it heads west on a coal train from Millerhill Yard in the spring of 1970.
Glasgow Queen Street High Level: A class 27 stands at the head of a train in Platform 6 at Glasgow Queen Street in April 1974.
Carstairs South Junction: Class 20s 20137+20124 accelerate an up PW train away from Carstairs South Junction in April 1980.
Carstairs: 47570 brings an InterCity service north through Carstairs in April 1980.
Carstairs South Junction: A southbound permanent way train runs through Carstairs on 17 April 1980 behind 20137+20124. The train is about to pass Strawfrank (now Carstairs South) Junction with the direct Edinburgh line branching off to the right.
Aviemore Shed: Aviemore shed with the Longmorn shunter 'Queen Anne' moving about the yard. This engine and several vehicles were donated to the SR by the Longmorn Distillery in 1981. The Distillery had a private railway connected to BR. On closure in 1968 the distillery railway remained in place until 1981, when the track and vehicles moved south to the Strathspey Railway.
Falkland Yard: A pall of smoke from burning rubbish hangs over Falkland yard on 17 April 1983 as a Brush Type 4 passes through northbound with the 1055 Stranraer Harbour - London Euston.
Warminster: 33013 on a Cardiff - Portsmouth train at Warminster in April 1986. These diagrams often saw the 33s being used to work over the Newport - Hereford - Crewe line as a fill in turn.
Warminster: BR 56049 with a train from one of the Mendip quarries at Warminster on 17 April 1986. It was the poor overall reliability of these (and other) BR locomotives and the resultant business impact that led to Foster Yeoman introducing the privately owned class 59, and all that followed in the UK freight market.
Warminster: Transforming the face of UK freight. The first privately owned locomotive type to operate regularly over a UK main line, Foster Yeoman 59002 with a train of Mendip stone at Warminster in April 1986. The locomotive was photographed shortly after entering service following arrival from General Motors, USA. [See image 34587].
Enterkine Viaduct: 37676 with coal from Killoch crossing Enterkine Viaduct on 17 April 1989.
Annbank Junction: 37676 with coal from Killoch about to join the Mauchline - Ayr line at Annbank Junction, on a grey and overcast 17 April 1989.
Da-an Bei: QJ3251 at Da-an Bei, Inner Mongolia, a junction town where class QJ 2-10-2 locomotives appeared regularly on passing freights. Photographed on 17 April 2000.
Granton: Remains of lines running west from Granton in 2002, which once served various industrial locations along the waterfront.
Maxwelltown Goods Junction: EWS 66235 passing Maxwelltown Goods Junction on the northern approach to Dumfries in April 2006 with a coal train from Killoch bound for Drax power station.
Maxwelltown Goods Junction: Oil train heading north from Dumfries behind a class 60 in April 2006 passing the abandoned junction for the former Stranraer line.
Nith Viaduct: Walking the dogs - Dumfries 2006. The arched bridge across the Nith carried the line to Castle Douglas (1859) and later on to Stranraer. Beyond it is the road bridge built to carry the Dumfries by-pass 130 years later. View is north.
Dumfries: Coal train southbound through Dumfries in April 2006.
Neidpath Tunnel: Inside the void looking toward the exit of the refuge to the Tunnel... Notice the oil drum amoungst other debris. PS not me in picture but kind permission granted.
Neidpath Viaduct: Neidpath Viaduct complete with cable runners.
Neidpath Viaduct: Underneath the Viaduct.
Dumfries: A Carlisle - Glasgow Central DMU calls at Dumfries on April 2006.
Dumfries: Dumfries station and forecourt, west side. April 2006.
Dumfries: The driver of a northbound oil train applies the boot after passing through Dumfries station in April 2006.
Dumfries: 60075 brings a northbound oil train through Dumfries in April 2006.
Hilton Junction: Rolling along. Edinburgh train heads for Bridge of Earn across the Earn Viaduct with a tractor rolling a field.
Johnstone: 66216 and loaded coal wagons with a service bound for Longannet
Johnstone: Network Rail NMT 901002 Iris 2 heading south in the direction of Miliken Park.
Johnstone: Network Rail NMT 901002 Iris 2 about to pass through Johnstone station.
Faslane: West Highland Line, remains of bridge on Faslane siding.
Faslane: West Highland Line, remains of bridge on Faslane siding.
Faslane: West Highland Line, Faslane siding crossing track to Laigh Balernock farm.
Shandon: West Highland Line, from bridge by Shandon Station site, looking NW.
Shandon: West Highland Line, from bridge by Shandon Station site, looking SE.
Shandon: West Highland Line, Shandon Station house, standard design WHR house. Thanks to the owner. See photo refs 14797 and 14798 for same design.
Whistlefield: West Highland Line south of Whistlefield from Coulport Road bridge.
Whistlefield: West Highland Line south of Whistlefield from Coulport Road bridge.
Glen Douglas Halt: West Highland Line from Glen Douglas road bridge.
Johnstone: The remains of the Johnstone No.1 signal box just east of Johnstone station. This would have controlled access to the Johnstone Curve at Johnstone Junction amongst other things.
Johnstone: 318263 coming up the hill towards Johnstone from the direction of Miliken Park with a Glasgow Central service.
Glen Douglas Halt: West Highland Line Glen Douglas Station site.
Glen Douglas Halt: West Highland Line Glen Douglas siding.
Garelochhead: West Highland Line, Garelochhead Station.
Garelochhead: West Highland Line, Garelochhead Station access to island platform.
Garelochhead: West Highland Line, Garelochhead Station looking S.
Garelochhead: West Highland Line, Garelochhead Station.
Garelochhead: West Highland Line, Garelochhead Station sidings.
Garelochhead: West Highland Line, Garelochhead Station former signal cabin.
Garelochhead: West Highland Line, Garelochhead Station looking N.
Garelochhead: West Highland Line, Garelochhead Station - tokens required.
Kittybrewster [1st]: The nearest you can (legally) get to the site of Kittybrewster station. In the foreground is the increasingly well-used Waterloo branch. The remains of the down platform of Kittybrewster [2nd] station can be seen just beyond, delineated by the weather-beaten row of posts. It was very close to this location that the footbridge was sited.
Aberdeen Waterloo: 66101 is an overnight visitor at a busy Waterloo goods yard on 17 April 2008. Ongoing work on the new Aberdeen Harbour Board sidings is visible to the left of the locomotive.
Milngavie: 318265 stands at Milngavie on 17 April awaiting the arrival of a 320 unit on the single line before starting its return journey to Larkhall.
Larkhall: 318250, newly arrived from Milngavie, stands in the sunshine at the Larkhall buffer stops in April 2008.
Oakworth: Taff Vale Railway 0-6-2T no 85 (Neilson Reid, Glasgow, 5408 of 1899) brings the 15.20 from Keighley into Oakworth Station on the KWVR on 17 April 2009.
Harrogate: Pacer 144009 enters Harrogate from the north with a Knaresborough - Leeds service on 17 April 2009. The signal gantry in the background formerly spanned the goods yard throat.
Westhoughton: Looking towards Crow Nest Junction at Westhoughton as 156480 calls on a Manchester Victoria to Wigan service. At Crow Nest this line joins the direct line from Manchester via Atherton and Walkden.
Besses-o^-th^-Barn: The massive bridge at Besses carries the Bury to Manchester line over the A665 and, below that, the M62 Motorway. The rail tracks run on either side of the central girder. Metrolink 1011 runs into the station on a Bury service.
Westhoughton: Westhoughton is now an unstaffed halt on the short link line between Crow Nest Junction near Wigan, and Lostock Junction near Bolton, although there are still two trains an hour each way. 150149 departs with a Wigan to Manchester Victoria (via Bolton) service.
Besses-o^-th^-Barn: Besses-o'-th'-Barn station was built by the LMS in 1933 and the original buildings still stand, with a modern lift alongside. During April 2009 trackwork in Manchester meant double trams were running but on a reduced frequency and Metrolink 1018 and 1011 are seen on a Bury service.
Grantham: 60163 'Tornado' generates a lot of interest as she prepares to head north.
Besses-o^-th^-Barn: Because Besses was a late (1933) addition to the LMS network the embankment had to be widened to accommodate the island platform and a new bridge built for the displaced Up line. Metrolink tram 1020 runs over this bridge while on the left the older bridge for the original two plain tracks can be seen. View towards Whitefield and Bury.
Wroxham: A National Express class 156 passes over the River Bure at Wroxham on 17 April 2010 with a service for Sheringham.
Grange-over-Sands: A subway gives access to the western end of the lengthy promenade at Grange and a Transpennine 185 unit runs over this on its way from Barrow to Manchester Airport on 17 April.
Swindon: 47787 'Windsor Castle' waits at Swindon to head east with a railtour from Skegness to Oxford on 17th April 2010.
Kents Bank: Runnng alongside the Kent Estuary, between Kents Bank and Grange-over-Sands station on 17 April is a TPE Class 185 on a service from Barrow-in-Furness to Manchester Airport. There were probably not many airport bound passengers on board due to the volcanic ash problems grounding all flights.
Rothiemay: Looking over the site of Rothiemay station (closed May 1968) on 17 April 2010 [see image 28546]. Nothing exists at the location today other than remnants of the up platform and, thankfully, the telegraph poles which helped position my shot.
Milnthorpe: The station building at Milnthorpe, still in non-railway use alongside the WCML in April 2010, over forty years after closure. The platforms have long gone but the distinctive original Lancaster and Carlisle Railway building remains. Straight ahead is the road haulage depot that now occupies the old goods yard.
Milnthorpe: Milnthorpe station was over a mile from the small town it served and by 1964 had a service of only three up and four down trains on weekdays. It closed on 1 July 1968, the same day as the stations at Tebay and Shap. The station building survives alongside the WCML as seen in this view looking south towards Carnforth. [Railscot note to would be photographers: The bridge overlooking Milnthorpe is on a fast road with no footpath and not a place to linger waiting for trains. The bridges at Elmsfield, around a mile south of here on the B6384, are a much better location.]
Heversham: To the north east of the site of Heversham Halt the old Arnside to Hincaster trackbed has become an unofficial bridlepath. Although a long siding from Arnside to the quarry at Sandside remained after closure this section of the old line has not seen a train since 1963. View towards Arnside at Map Ref SD 503833.
Shipton: Shipton Station on the Cotswold Line looking along the up platform towards Oxford, with modern waiting shelter and platform bench incorporating the GWR legend in the cast legs. Work is currently in progress between the rear of the bench and the entrance gate.
Carnforth F&M Junction: From virtual quarry to virtually nothing. TPE 185145 runs in to Carnforth from the Barrow line passing the sidings that were briefly an EWS virtual quarry, then engineers' sidings but which are now only used during local engineering works. Ahead of the unit is the curve into Carnforth station, the junction with the direct link that went straight ahead to the Wennington line having been removed some years ago.
Foss Cross: View South West along the trackbed of former Midland & South West Junction route towards Cirencester, seen from alongside the former level crossing over the A429 Fosse Way.
Arnside: Looking north along the Furness trackbed from Arnside to Sandside and Hincaster alongside the Kent estuary. A primary purpose of this line was to carry iron ore between Barrow and North East England via the Stainmore route but it was also a useful link for excursion traffic for many years. Closed as a through route in 1963 this particular stretch lingered on for a few years as a siding to the quarry at Sandside but is now a popular footpath. (Map Reference SD 470794). In railway days there was a low wall along the seaward side of this stretch of line but the embankment has been made part of the local sea defences and the wall removed. [See image 28623] for the view towards Arnside from the same point.
Arnside: The old Furness trackbed from Hincaster to Arnside skirts the Kent estuary for much of its length and can be walked from Sandside to Arnside. This view at Storth (Map Ref SD470794) looks towards Arnside station, which lies immediately to the right of the trees, with the famous viaduct stretching off to the right. [See image 28612] for the view north from the same point.
Grange-over-Sands: Seaside springtime scene as a Northern 156 Sprinter heads for Barrow, and then Carlisle, passing some of the promenade leisure facilities at Grange-over-Sands.
Clapham: The attractive rural station of Clapham, North Yorshire, photographed on a fine and sunny afternoon in April 2011. View is south east, looking towards Settle Junction.
Dalgety Bay: 46115 Scots Guardsman runs through Dalgety Bay station on 17 April 2011 with train 1Z28, the Edinburgh - Aberdeen - Inverness 'Great Britain IV' on day 2 of the railtour.
Craiglockhart: Less than 20 minutes out of Waverley in Sunday morning sunshine on 17 April 2011 the Great Britain IV rounds the curve from Morningside on the Edinburgh sub behind Royal Scot no 46115 Scots Guardsman heading for Inverness.
Clapham: Northern railcar 153 360 on the Leeds - Morecambe route approaching Clapham, North Yorkshire, on 17 April 2011.
Marykirk Viaduct: Rebuilt Scot no 46115 Scots Guardsman races across Marykirk Viaduct on 17 April with The Great Britain IV on its way to Inverness via Aberdeen.
Dalwhinnie: On one of the long straights north of Dalwhinnie, Black 5s 45407 The Lancashire Fusilier and 44871 haul support coaches towards Inverness.
Muchalls: The peace memorial alongside the former station at Muchalls, north of Stonehaven, in April 2011. The memorial, on a mound behind the site of the up platform, displays a Royal Crown and the word PEACE with the date 1919.
Boat o^ Brig Viaduct: Between Keith and Elgin the line drops down to cross the River Spey on a viaduct at Boat o' Brig. Having just crossed the viaduct on 17 April, rebuilt Scot no 46115 Scots Guardsman begins the climb up towards Elgin with the Great Britain IV railtour. The viaduct can be seen in the left background.
Craiglockhart: Royal Scot no 46115 Scots Guardsman takes The Great Britain IV through the site of Craiglockhart station on Sunday morning 17 April 2011. 46115 had taken charge of the special for the Edinburgh - Inverness leg of the tour.
Thornton West Junction: 61994 The Great Marquess passes Thornton West Junction on 17 April with support coach in tow, on its way To Inverness. Note the antlers!
Markinch: 46115 'Scots Guardsman' climbs towards Lochmuir Summit, north of Markinch, on 17 April with the Edinburgh - Aberdeen - Inverness leg of the Great Britain IV tour.
Wormit: Royal Scot no 46115 Scots Guardsman slowly hauls the Edinburgh to Inverness section of the 'Great Britain IV' railtour out onto the Tay Bridge on 17 April.
Carstairs: The rear end of the Network Rail test train photographed about to run south through Carstairs station on 17 April 2012. The trailing vehicle in the formation is power car no 43062 'John Armitt'.
Kirknewton: Long and short distance train services pass at Kirknewton on 17 April 2012.
Bathgate [3rd]: The former Bathgate station (1986-2010) with the trackbed partially filled in. Looking over the fencing towards the site of the buffer stops on 17 April 2012. [See image 16421]
Bathgate: The 08.57 Milngavie - Edinburgh Waverley pulls away from platform 1 at Bathgate on 17 April 2012 on the 4 minute leg to Livingston North.
Bathgate [3rd]: The infilled platform at the former Bathgate terminus, closed in December 2010, seen from the site of the buffer stops on 17 April 2012. [See image 31158]
Kirknewton: The 10.18 Glasgow Central - Edinburgh Waverley runs over the level crossing into Kirknewton station on 17 April 2012. Bottom left is the button used by drivers of westbound stopping services to activate the crossing barriers when the train is ready to leave.
Uphall: View east showing the recently commissioned north side car park at Uphall station on 17 April 2012, as a Glasgow bound service pulls away from the platform.
Birmingham New Street: A recently introduced eleven coach Pendolino (390156) waits at Birmingham New Street with the 11.49 service to Wolverhampton on 17 April 2012. Across at platform 2 a sister set prepares to depart with a service for Euston.
Ravenstruther: Freightliner 66506 slowly moves a train of empties into position for loading at Ravenstruther on 17 April 2012.
Float Viaduct: The 11.40 Glasgow Central - London Euston Pendolino at speed just south of Carstairs on 17 April 2012. The train is crossing the River Clyde on Float Viaduct.
Delph: Down among the daffodils. WLLR 0-4-0T Utrillas, was built in Germany in 1913 and previously worked at a mine in Zaragosa, Spain. It is seen here on an springtime evening private charter on 17 April. Fireman John McIntyre ducks back into the cab just as the shutter is pressed.
Wolverhampton Bilston Road: The former Wolverhampton Bilston Road goods depot, that was connected to the steel terminal branch. View from a train running over the access under-bridge linking the two locations in April 2013.
Becconsall: After several round trips with an evening private charter West Lancs Fireman (and Railscot contributor) John McIntyre contemplates the disposal tasks for 0-4-0T Utrillas on 17 April. First stop the ashpan!
Coatbridge Central: DRS 66428 has the feather for Coatbridge container terminal having run light from Mossend. In the background DBS 66132 approaches with empty coal hoppers from Longannet to Hunterston. [Ref query 7619]
Glasgow Central: Unusual view taken today through the rather dirty window on the top floor of the building opposite in Hope Street. The clear site on the corner of Argyle and Oswald Streets is to have a hotel built on it. I remember it as Wilson's Zoo, which had a lion in a rather small cage (in the Fifties).
Forton: Long may they continue. Two veteran English Electric Type 1s power north through the reverse curves at Forton with the DRS Crewe to Sellafield train on 17th April 2015. 20308 was in tandem with 20305 hauling a train of five flasks for reprocessing.
Craiglockhart Junction: Scotrail-liveried 68007 joins the 'sub' at Craiglockhart Junction with the Motherwell - Edinburgh empty stock working for the Fife commuter service on 17 April.
Pont Briwet: Progress at Pont Briwet on 17th April 2015: all traces of the original trestle bridge have gone and construction of the new concrete road bridge is well under way. Llandecwyn station is complete and now has lighting and a Passenger Information System. [See image 49098]
Little Hereford: A distinctly scenic spot to the West of Tenbury Wells on the way to Woofferton [see image 21588]. This is taken from the former alignment of the A456, now a layby, while the course of the modern road runs straight past the trees on the right. An abutment of the former railway bridge still stands, some 50 years after closure. The shelf visible among the trees to the left is the course of the former Tenbury Canal, much of which was built over by the railway.
Ribble Steam Railway Workshops: A recent arrival at the RSR awaits its turn in the workshops. Glenfield is a 5-ton capacity Andrew Barclay (880/1902) crane tank that spent most of its life in Kilmarnock working for its builder. It has been at various preservation sites since retirement, including Didcot and Carnforth, and arrived at Preston in October 2015.
Palma: Who can resist a vintage train? This is the main station in Palma for the Ferrocarril de SÃ³ller.
Little Hereford: Looking towards Woofferton across the former level crossing - and in a rare gap in road traffic - with Tenbury behind the photographer. The stillness and shadows have a dream-like quality. [see also image 46385]
Edinburgh Gateway: Edinburgh Gateway going south.
Palma: The walkway between carriages - open to the public while travelling!
Soller: Pointwork detail at Soller - one of which connects the train tracks to the Tram that runs to Port de Soller.
Millerhill EGIP Depot: New signage at the entrance to Millerhiil yard from Whitehill Road on 17 April 2016. Road access to the planned new EMU servicing depot is in the left background (indicated by the 'HGV this way' sign).
Newcraighall North Junction: The 0845 Tweedbank - Edinburgh about to pass below Whitehill Road bridge as it slows for the stop at Newcraighall station on 17 April 2016, with the Millerhill freight lines neareer the camera. A photograph from this position has only recently become possible following the cutting back of trees and shrubs along the embankment running south from the bridge towards Millerhill Yard.
Preston (Ribble Branch): Peckett 0-4-0ST Teddy (2012/1941) is believed to be the smallest standard gauge locomotive in the UK. It has 9 inch cylinders and 2 foot diameter driving wheels. Barclay 0-4-0ST No.6 (2261/1949) is not a huge engine but positively towers over the little Peckett as they double head a RSR train over Lockside Rd crossing at the 2016 Industrial Steam Gala.
Preston (Ribble Branch): Hawthorn Leslie (3931/1938) 0-6-0ST Linda crosses Lockside Road with a RSR Gala service in April 2016. This powerful loco was delivered new to Corby for ironstone work and reboilered there as late as 1970 making it a candidate for preservation. It acquired its name while working on the Swanage Railway and returned to operational service in 2015 after a restoration at Ribble Steam to their usual high standards.
Edinburgh Gateway: Edinburgh Gateway southbound platform viewed from a passing train.
Preston (Ribble Branch): Star of the RSR Industrial Steam Gala 2016 was undoubtedly diminutive Peckett 2012/1941 Teddy from the Chasewater Railway. With its 2' diameter wheels it is restricted to around 10mph (but sounds like it is doing 60). The tiny 0-4-0ST is seen here passing the eastern sand drag with a Victorian Train on 17th April 2016.
Newcraighall South Junction: Looking south towards Millerhill Yard on 17 April 2016, showing the considerable clearance of vegetation that has recently been carried out along the embankment. The entrance to the depot from Whitehill Road is on the left. In the background a Waverley bound train is approaching from the Shawfair direction.
Tenbury Wells: Station House is currently up for sale at Â£295,000, which is very reasonable for such a capacious building with such heritage. But I can see three drawbacks: it has been remodelled out of all recognition; is located in the yard of a fruit processing plant and it doesn't have much of a garden. It's not the only station on this line to have fallen on hard times [see image 42646].
Dunfermline Queen Margaret: 66746 nears Dunfermline Queen Margaret with the Edinburgh - Keith 'Royal Scotsman', the first trip of the year. 17 April.
Barton-Le-Street: View south to the greatly altered former Barton-Le-Street Station House that stood by the level crossing across Butterwick Road, north of the village proper. The trackbed on the Hovingham side of the road is totally obliterated having been ploughed out. From old maps, it would appear that the wing coming towards the camera has been built across the platform and trackbed. To the east there were long sidings along either side of the running line, one that served the goods yard and goods shed beyond and behind the station on the south side of the line, and another on the north side that ended by the roadside to the left of view. [Ref query 999]
Cabin [Tram]: Balloon 701, in eye catching red and white livery, uses the crossover at Cabin to regain the southbound line after an Easter weekend heritage trip from Pleasure Beach. The current paint scheme is certainly an improvement on that previously carried [See image 42861].
Powderhall Loop: The rusting tracks of the Powderhall branch, looking south east from Powderhall Road towards Leith Walk on 17 April 2017, more than two months after the last 'Binliner' ran. The heavily buttressed wall on the right will be one of many pleased at the cessation in daily vibrations caused by traffic on the branch [see image 13859]. Powderhall depot is due to close completely at the end of 2018 when the new facility at Millerhill comes on stream.
Lowther Avenue: Thunderbirds - Blackpool style. Unimog Road-rail vehicle No.939 is part of the tramway service fleet. It was turned out on Easter Monday 2017 to tow Wide Balloon 719 from Bispham where it had failed. 939 is seen here growling through Lowther Avenue taking 719 back to Rigby Rd workshops for attention.
Powderhall: Disused waste containers stacked on the loading apron at Powderhall Depot on 17 April 2017. The last 'Binliner' service between here and the Viridor Waste Management landfill site at Oxwellmains ran during February.
Barton-Le-Street: House sign on the former Barton-Le-Street Station House indicating its past.
North Grimston: View south along Luddith Road to the former railway properties by the former North Grimston Station & Goods Yard. the former station house is ahead beyond the level crossing location, the dwelling created from the altered former platform building seen to the right, and a former workers cottage to the left.
Bispham [Tram]: Centenary car 648 passes the old Miners' Convalescent Home at Bispham on 170417. For a long time these stylish single deckers ran with modified bodywork [See image 37088] but 648 has been restored to its original condition and looks much better for it. This elevated vantage point is often blocked off for the illuminations tableaux but is open at this time of year.
North Grimston: View south showing the site of the level crossing across Luddith Road and the trackbed passing the former North Grimston Station House. The coal drop walls are still extant on the left. There were twin tracks running from south east of the Station House towards the Cordike Lane overbridge to the north west, as a long siding ran parallel to the running line to serve firstly the coal drops then a short spur sited at an angle to Luddith Road to right of view. As the points for the latter were in front of the Station House it effectively gave three tracks running across the road.
Hunmanby: Looking east across the level crossing dividing Bridlington Street, to left, and Bridlington Road to the former Hunmanby Station House sited behind the southbound platform for Bridlington, Beverley and Hull. The track is double from Seamer to just after the level crossing, and then single going forward to Bridlington.
Hunmanby: After leaving the two platform Hunmanby Station and running over the level crossing at the platform end, trains heading for Bridlington cross over via twin points onto the northbound track, which then continues as a single track to the resort. As can be seen in this April '17 view there is a substantial length of track, albeit partly overgrown, remaining in situ beyond the southbound line points that form part of the crossover. Is this retained as an engineers siding?
Norbreck: Contrast in comfort. Whilst the drivers of Flexity trams are seated in armchairs in the spacious cabs the driver of Brush Railcar 631, seen on a heritage service at Norbreck on Easter Monday 2017, is stood in a very confined space.
Blackpool North: Blackpool North reopened to trains on 16th April 2018 with an hourly DMU service to Manchester Airport, and the daily London Virgin Voyager service. Further trains will be introduced as the new systems bed in and driver training is completed. This was the scene in the concourse at North station on 17th April.
Blackpool North: A view towards the buffers at Blackpool North on the evening of 17 April 2018. Nearest the camera is platform 1 which will be used by Virgin West Coast for their London services. At the moment it is fenced off and a number of RRVs are parked up next to the buffers. Over on platform 3 there is a Class 185 on hire to Northern and on this day was operating on the Blackpool North to Manchester Airport service.
Preston: A bit of variety at Preston on the evening of 17 April 2018. A London bound Pendolino departs from platform 4 while over on the goods loop on the Carlisle to Crewe engineers is a trio of DRS locos with 68007 in ScotRail livery leading followed by 57305 in Northern Belle colours while 66305 is in the more common DRS livery.
Bannockburn: An Inverness bound DMU sprints along the newly planted avenue of masts at Bannockburn on 17th April 2018.
Events from the chronology which occured on this day. This generally lists events before 1995, the creation of the website.
|1880||Dingwall and Skye Railway||Highland Railway abandons steamer operations in favour of David MacBrayne.|
|1901||Mawddwy Railway||Aberangell closed|
|1954||West Highland Railway||Collision at Bridge of Orchy.|
|1968||Vale of Rheidol Railway||Aberystwyth rebuilt by main station.|
|1972||Garston and Liverpool Railway||Mersey Road closed|
These are old news items which which occured on this day. This generally lists events after 1995, the creation of the website.
|2003||RMT Guards to Strike||This strike is due to a disagreement about the role of guards. The RMT would like to extend the safety role from staying on board a train following an accident to look after passengers to allowing guards to de-train to protect the train with detonators etc. ScotRail and Virgin services are affected. GNER is working with the union. ScotRail has considered legal action.|
|2004||Railway ticket barriers to foil fare dodgers pay off [Scotsman]||TICKET barriers introduced to clamp down on fare dodgers are believed to have netted ScotRail an extra £30,000 a week, The Scotsman has learned.|
|2006||Reduction in rail violence hailed [BBC News]||Violent assaults on Scotland^s railways have decreased by 34% in the last year, statistics show.|
|2006||Richard offers hope on a rope to rail urchins [Scotsman]||A RAIL chief has abseiled down the Forth Bridge to raise cash for charity.|
|2007||Rail Minister to open Railtex in London [Railway Strategies]||Rail Minister Tom Harris will open Railtex 2007 at its new London venue in February. With more than 425 exhibitors taking stands at the show, the move to the capital has been warmly welcomed by the rail industry|
|2007||Railtex 07 Exhibitors A- D [Railway Strategies]||Guide to RAILTEX exhibitors in this issue A-D|
|2007||Railtex 07 Exhibitors E - I [Railway Strategies]||Guide to RAILTEX exhibitors in this issue E-I|
|2007||Railtex 07 Exhibitors J - R [Railway Strategies]||Guide to RAILTEX exhibitors in this issue J - R|
|2007||Railtex 07 Exhibitors S - Z [Railway Strategies]||Guide to exhibitors in this issue S -Z|
|2007||Conrac GmbH - Special outdoor displays for public transport applications [Railway Strategies]||CONRAC GmbH, German display manufacturer, offers a wide range of IP55 and IP65 protected screens.|
|2007||Trains suffer a wee problem [Scotsman]||VIRGIN Rail is to spend £600 million refitting the tilting trains running between Edinburgh, Glasgow and London because passengers keep getting locked in their toilets.|
|2007||Tesco station demolition illegal say campaigners [Evening Times]||TESCO^S controversial demolition of a historic railway station in the West End of Glasgow may have been illegal, it was claimed last night.|
|2008||Botanics nightclub plans scrapped [BBC News item]||Campaigners have expressed "delight and relief" over Glasgow City Council^s decision to scrap plans to create a bar and nightclub in the Botanic Gardens.|
|2008||Concrete slab dropped on Euston - Glasgow Pendolino [Lancaster Guardian]||DETECTIVES from British Transport Police are appealing for information and warning youths following a number of incidents on the railway in the Lancaster area, including a concrete slab being dropped onto a Virgin train travelling at 125mph.|
|2008||New rail halt proposed for Dunfermline West [Dunfermline Press Item]||A NEW Dunfermline West train station could be built near Pitreavie to serve the thousands of new houses which are planned for the outskirts of the city.|
|2009||Subway to undergo £20m facelift [BBC News Article]||A £20m modernisation programme for stations on the Glasgow subway is announced by its operators, SPT.|
|2011||Road and rail risk audit ordered after M1 closure [BBC News]||An audit of roads and railways at possible risk from industrial accidents has been ordered after the scrapyard fire that caused major M1 disruption.|
|2012||Irvine is a model station [Railscot]||Unused rooms at one of Scotland’s oldest working stations have been transformed into a clubhouse for model railway enthusiasts, thanks to a ScotRail community project. Kyle Model Railway Club this week moved into the revamped rooms above the main premises at Irvine station, which dates back to 1839. The award-winning club has ‘adopted’ the station as part of ScotRail’s Adopt a Station project, which enables volunteers to develop floral displays at stations and find innovative uses for vacant rooms. Tom Rout, chairman of the Kyle Model Railway Club, said: “We are delighted to be based at Irvine station, where it will be easier for us to recruit new members than at our previous, more out-of-the-way location at Dunaskin.” The clubhouse, which was previously used as a training suite, offers an attractive space for railway enthusiasts to exhibit their miniature railway layouts. John Yellowlees, ScotRail’s external relations manager, opened the new clubhouse on Monday 16 April. Mr Yellowlees said: “Our Adopt a Station policy is about finding community uses for surplus accommodation, and model railway clubs are a good use because they encourage young people to respect the railway environment.” The accommodation has been converted with assistance from the Railway Heritage Trust and IDP Architects. Irvine is the fifth ScotRail station to house a model railway club, with others at Gleneagles, Lanark, Fort Matilda and Maxwell Park.|
|2014||The level crossing wars [BBC]||Campaigns to save level crossings are being waged across Great Britain, despite many considering them dangerous anachronisms. It^s a dispute that reveals much about people^s attitudes towards risk.|
|2017||Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway hits extension target [BBC News]||A heritage steam railway is set to become ^one of the best in the country^ after raising £1.25m to fund a track extension, its bosses claim. The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway launched a public appeal to complete its ^last mile^ a year ago. It currently runs between Cheltenham and Laverton but has long planned to extend to Broadway in Worcestershire. After an ^overwhelming response^ it will reach the Cotswolds village for the first time since 1960.|
|2018||End of the line for Islands^ miniature railway? [Inverness Courier]||A miniature railway line used by thousands of tourists and locals every year could be forced to close if no-one can be found to run it. Ill health means the owner of the Ness Islands ride, Ian Young, has been left with no option but to sell up the railway which he created and has operated for more than 35 years.|