This junction is east of Stranraer Town station, it is where the Stranraer Harbour line leaves the former route to Portpatrick. Today this is where the harbour line divides from the disused Stranraer Town sidings. A ground frame controls the junction.
The junction opened in 1862. The railway had already reached Stranraer Town in 1861 and the pier station now opened in 1862. Also in 1862 the line was extended through the town station to Portpatrick although this route, intended to be the 'short sea crossing' to Ireland, was going to be eclipsed by the Stranraer Harbour station when the Portpatrick harbour proved unsuitable.
A signal box opened in 1877. This was on the north side of the junction. The harbour line also led off to the Stranraer Shed, works and goods yard, laid out on the north side of the Stranraer Town station and in the 'V' of the junction with the harbour line.
The box was replaced in 1921 with a Caledonian Railway Type S4 box.
In 1942 carriage sidings were on the south side of the junction, approached from the west.
Most of the Port Road, Challoch Junction to Maxwelltown Factory Siding (both excluded), closed in 1965. Stranraer Town closed to passengers in 1966.
The signal box closed in 1972 and was replaced with a ground frame. The layout was also altered putting the goods yard and former Stranraer Town lines together, connecting to what was now the main line at Stranraer Harbour Junction.
The carriage sidings later became the Stockton Haulage Depot [Stranraer], established in 1979.
Transit (London Road [Stranraer])
Challoch Junction Golfers Platform
| Stockton Haulage Depot [Stranraer]|
Cairnryan Junction Yard
Dunragit Creamery Siding
Old House Point
Little Gennoch No 2 Level Crossing
Little Gennoch No 1 Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Stranraer Town to Stranraer Harbour Junction closed to passengers. Stranraer Town station closed and given over to goods.
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn