Stevenston No 1 Signal Box [2nd] (1947-1986)
Opened on the Ardrossan and Johnstone Railway.
Opened on the Ardeer (Misk) Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This box was east of Stevenston station at the point where the 'new' 1947 spur from the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway met the Ardrossan Railway (allowing closure of the route via Kilwinning East in coming years). The box also controlled the exchange sidings for the Nobel Explosives Works.
It replaced the previous Stevenston No 1 Signal Box [1st] when the new connection was made.
The box was on the south side of the line. It was a slightly brutal flat roofed brick structure. The design was due to this being an Air Raid Protection box, due to the proximity and importance of the Nobel works.
The signal box closed in 1986, replaced by Paisley Signalling Centre.
Ardrossan South Beach
Bogside Moor Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Stevenston No 1 Signal Box [2nd]
Stevenston No 1 Signal Box [1st]
Water Machine Pit (Coal)
Turf Dyke Pit
Ardeer ICI Nylon Plant
Nobel Exchange Sidings
Ardeer Iron Works
Misk Signal Box
Ardeer  Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Ardrossan (North) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.01 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Ardrossan (South) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.05 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Kilwinning 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.04 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History