Potterhill Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Potterhill Junction (1886-1909)

Opened on the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
Opened on the Barrhead Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway).


This was a double track junction on the Paisley Canal line between Elderslie and Paisley West. It was the western apex of a triangular junction. The eastern junction was Corsebar junction and southern Meiklerigg Junction.

The signal box was on the south side of the junction and opened in 1885 (the west to south curve dates from 1886).

The branch was extended south to Barrhead Central in 1902.

The line to Barrhead Central was fairly disastrous and attracted very little traffic.

The box closed in 1909 when the west to south curve closed. The east to south remained open - but singled, and was progressively cut back - until final closure in 1970.

The location is now a footpath.

Nearby Ferguslie Goods was to the north, approached from Ferguslie Signal Box to the west. Meikleriggs Goods, a goods terminus of the [[Paisley and Barrhead District Railway, was to the south.


Junction footpath