This junction was immediately north of Dunblane station. Here the Scottish Central Railway was met by the Dunblane, Doune and Callander Railway. The branch was to be extended by the Callander and Oban Railway to Oban.
Allanwater Viaduct is just to the north of the junction on the main line.
Dunblane Shed was located in the 'V' of the junction.
The original junction layout had the Callander [1st] branch meet the down line and a crossover gave access to the up line.
Layout was modified to run as two separate south to Dunblane station, just to the south. There was a connection from the station's Oban platform to the down line.
After the branch was doubled (1902), the junction became a double track junction with a line from the Oban branch to the Oban platform.
The branch was singled in 1955.
The branch closed in 1965 (actually February 1966 when the last portion to Springbank Mill Siding closed) and a short permanent way siding remains here.
Bridge of Allan [1st]
Bridge of Allan
Abbeycraig Level Crossing
Menstrie and Glenochil
| Dunblane Shed|
Springbank Mill Siding
Laigh Hill Tunnel
Mill o' Keir Viaduct
Ashfield Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1971||Dunblane, Doune and Callander Railway|
Springbank Mill Siding to Dunblane Junction (excluded) closed. A short length from the junction was retained as a permanent way siding.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)