This is the western of the Mossend junctions where the Glasgow to Edinburgh via Shotts line is met with a curve allowing a train from the Glasgow and Bellshill direction to take to the line south to Motherwell.
When first opened this was the west end of a west to north curve opened in 1879. The junction was known as Mossend Junction at this time, of all the junctions this was the closest to the original Mossend Farm which was just south of the junction. Mossend, the houses, was to the north.
The box was replaced in 1892 with a new box, this was on the south side of the line midway between the west junction and the turn out to Milnwood Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2 which were on the south side and approached from the east.
With the opening in 1902 of the west to south (Milnwood Junction) curve the junction was renamed Mossend No 4.
The west to north curve closed to Mossend No 3 Junction in 1964.
The box closed in 1973 when replaced by the Motherwell Signalling Centre.
Some of the curve to the north has been built over and would be difficult to re-open.
Bothwell Park Halt
Calder Iron Works [Station]
| Mossend Iron and Steel Works|
Mossend No 3 Junction
Mossend North Junction
Mossend No 1 Junction
Milnwood Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Mossend Marshalling Yard
Hattonrig Colliery Pits Nos 3 and 4
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|