Hurlford Sidings

Location type

Sidings

Names and dates

Hurlford Mineral Sidings (-1966)
Hurlford Sidings (1966-)

Opened on the Galston Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway).

Description

Also known as the Barleith Mineral Sidings. These sidings were in the 'V' of the junction between the main line running south from Kilmarnock to Carlisle and the Galston branch. Some sidings were to the north of the Galston branch, approached from the east.

For most of the sidings the Galston branch was to the north and Barleith Halt to th east. To the south was Hurlford Shed, housing associated with the shed, and the main line. The entire site was bound in the south by the line from Bellfield Junction to Mayfield Junction.

Hurlford Mineral Siding signal box was on the south side of the line, with the mineral sidings to the south and Galston line to the north. The sidings were served from the Hurlford Junction direction.

The box closed in 1966.

The site was cleared and became Johnnie Walker warehousing, with some sidings retained to facilitate trains between Port Dundas, Kilmarnock and the Hurlford site.

Local

Johnnie Walker

Tags

Sidings underused freight facility

Aliases

Barleith Mineral Sidings

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map


Dates

20/09/1965Darvel Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Hurlford (Mayfield Siding) to Hurlford (Hurlford Mineral Sidings) closed to freight.
24/01/1966Darvel Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Hurlford (Hurlford Mineral Sidings) to Hurlford Junction closed to freight.