This steel works was to the south of Newton station. It was served by a goods loop which was added to the station's south, approach to the works being from the west. The works was opened by the Steel Company of Scotland, thus the original name of Newton West Junction: Steel Company of Scotland Works Junction.
The goods loop ran from Steel Company of Scotland Works Junction, in the west on the Clydesdale Junction Railway, to Hallside Signal Box, in the east on the Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway).
The area to the east of Hallside Steel Works was used for waste disposal, served with sidings which were relaid as required over the years.
With the opening of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway, in 1905, the western exit was modified to meet the new line with a ladder crossover to the west of Newton West Junction giving access to the Clydesdale Junction Railway main line.
The works closed in 1979/80. Portions of the southern goods loop survived into the late 1980s.
The northern part of the site of the works is now the Newton station car park.
Mount Vernon North
| Newton Hamilton Junction|
Newton East Junction
Newton Kirkhill Junction
Clyde Nail Works
Hallside Signal Box
Newton West Junction
Newton Colliery Pit No 2
Gilbertfield Colliery and Brick Works
Newton Colliery Signal Box
Dechmont Briquette Works
Spittalhill Signal Box
Westburn Steel Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|