Cargill Viaduct (1848-1982)
Opened on the Scottish Midland Junction Railway.
This is a disused double track viaduct west of the former Cargill station and east of the former Ballathie station. It crosses the River Tay.
It is a substantial five truss viaduct. It was a timber viaduct with stone piers and these were re-used when the bridges of the Strathmore Route were replaced.
The line closed to passengers in 1967 and was singled. It remained open to Forfar [2nd] until 1982.
There was a temporary 'Cargill Viaduct' signal box during works in 1898. The viaduct was also known as Ballathie Viaduct. During further works on the bridge another temporary box of this name was set up at the west end from 1918 to 1920.
Stormont Loch Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Dunkeld Road Bridge Temporary Signal Box
Inchtuthil Legionary Fortress
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Tayside's Last Days of Steam
|The Railways of Strathmore (Perth, Forfar and Brechin)|