Bonnyton signal box was located at Bonnyton Junction in Kilmarnock. It was on the Dalry route just to the north west of Kilmarnock Junction.
It was originally the site of a short mineral line, reached by reversing spur, which ran east and then north to Bonnyton Pit. After closure this former line was crossed by the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway.
The signal box closed in 1926, replaced by the second signal box to be called Kilmarnock No 1. The new box also controlled Kilmarnock Goods Junction on the joint line.
The Long Lyes were on the south side of the Dalry line, approached from Kilmarnock Junction.
The line to Dalry closed in 1973. The portion as far as Crosshouse was retained, used by the civil engineer. It was cut back in the early 1990s.
A new loop was laid in during 2009. This was to reduce the mileage for trains leaving the Greenburn Loading Point which could now run round here before returning south. Prior to this these trains followed the route from Greenburn to Kilmarnock, Barassie Junction, Newton Junction [Ayr] and Mauchline.
With Greenburn now closed the loop sees little use.
Kilmarnock (St Marnocks)
Riccarton and Craigie
| Kilmarnock Goods Junction|
Kilmarnock Carriage Shed
Kilmarnock Power Box
Bonnyton Colliery No 6 Pit
Grange Signal Box [Kilmarnock]
Kilmarnock Joint Shed
J. Walker Kilmarnock
Wabtec Rail Scotland Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|