Ayr Wet Dock was opened in 1873. A branch to Ayr Harbour opened from a triangular junction meeting the existing lines at Falkland Junction and Newton Junction [Ayr].
This branch took a more northerly route than the earlier Ayr Waggonway to reach the north harbour and served the new dock. The dock was equipped with coal drops and sidings down the west and east sides.
The signal box here also controlled the flat crossing on the approach to the Ayr [1st] terminus, now a goods station. This was crossed on the level by the Ayr Harbour Junction to Newton Junction [Ayr] curve. The old station line was closed in 1977.
The box closed in 1984 and the junction was simplified, the box was replaced by a ground frame.
Ayr Shed [1st]
Prestwick International Airport
Auchincruive Colliery Platform
Heads of Ayr [2nd]
Maybole Junction [Station]
Heads of Ayr [1st)
| Scottish Agricultural Industries Works|
Newton Junction [Ayr]
Newton Carpet Works
Ayr Tram Depot [Trams]
Ayr Harbour South
St John's Tower
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|