Aberdeen Waterloo (1856-1867)
This was the terminus of the Great North of Scotland Railway on extension from Kittybrewster to the Waterloo Quay in Aberdeen. The extension followed the course of the former Aberdeenshire Canal.
The passenger station was in the west of the site with three platforms (the eastern island surviving until the 1960s). There was an overall roof at the buffer end. There was a carriage shed to the north of the site, beyond Castle Terrace.
The goods lines were to the east, with one continuing to the quayside itself. A goods shed was provided. There was no locomotive turntable, probably due to the proximity of Kittybrewster Shed.
There was access by turnplates from the goods sidings to a tramway which ran to Aberdeen Guild Street. This was not suitable for upgrading to a railway and the Denburn Valley Line was developed to connect the two Aberdeen railway systems together, leading to the demise of both Waterloo and Guild Street termini.
Today the site is a goods yard.
Aberdeen Guild Street
Bridge of Don
Other railway and industry locations
Aberdeen Waterloo Quay
Aberdeen Regent Quay
Aberdeen Gas Works
Denburn South Junction
Hutcheon Street Tunnel
Ferryhill Shed [1st]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/04/1856||Great North of Scotland Railway|
Kittybrewster [1st] to Aberdeen Waterloo opened completely (with horse tramway to the Aberdeen Railway's terminus at Aberdeen Guild street).