Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway



Dates

  /  /1853Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway
Incorporated.
  /  /1859Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway
Re-authorised.
  /  /1861Buncrana Branch (Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway)
Branch to Buncrana authorised.
  /  /1863Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway
Opened from Londonderry Graving Dock to Farland Point on Lough Swilly as a 5ft 3in line.
  /  /1864Buncrana Branch (Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway)
Opened from Junction to Buncrana. Farland Point was left as a short branch from the junction.
  /  /1866Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway
Junction to Farland Point closed.
  /  /1868Buncrana Branch (Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway)Railway]]
Fahan Pier replaces Farland Point, a short siding being opened for goods.
  /  /1868Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners Londonderry and Enniskillen Railway Londonderry and Coleraine Railway Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway
Lines linked by quayside railway over the double decked Carlisle Bridge [Londonderry] . Access to the line on the lower deck over the Foyle was by means of turnplates.
  /  /1869Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway
Agreement allows trains access from Londonderry Graving Dock over the Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners line to Londonderry Middle Quay, a new platform closer to the city centre.
  /  /1883Letterkenny Railway
Opened from Burnfoot Junction (on the site of the former Junction) (Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway) to Letterkenny [LR], the first portion reusing just over 2 miles of the former approach to Farland Point which closed in 1866.
  /  /1885Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners
Third rail laid over Carlisle Bridge [Londonderry] to accommodate the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway^s 3ft wagons.
  /03/1885Glenariff Railway and Harbour Co
Sale of assets, including locomotives to the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway.
28/03/1885Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway
Following conversion from 5ft 2in to 3ft, the wider gauge trains are withdrawn. In Londonderry 5ft 2in gauge locomotives are used to draw 3ft gauge trains to Londonderry Middle Quay.
  /04/1885Buncrana Branch (Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway)
Converted from 5ft 2in to 3ft.
01/10/1887Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway
Trains cease working to Londonderry Middle Quay over the Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners.
  /  /1896Carndonagh Extension Railway Letterkenny and Burtonport Extension Railway
Government funded Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway branches authorised.
  /  /1920Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway Letterkenny Railway
Burnfoot Junction renamed Tooban Junction.
  /  /1929Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway
Starts operating buses.
04/04/1931Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway
Passenger trains restart as road network not up to standard.
21/06/1931Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway
Passenger trains withdrawn, replaced by buses, except to Carndonagh.
03/06/1940Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway Letterkenny Railway Letterkenny and Burtonport Extension Railway
Passenger trains withdrawn. Letterkenny [LR] to Burtonport closed.
  /03/1943Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway Letterkenny Railway Letterkenny and Burtonport Extension Railway
Londonderry Graving Dock to Gweedore re-opened to passenger specials.
  /06/1947Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway Letterkenny Railway Letterkenny and Burtonport Extension Railway
Closed to passengers. Gweedore to Letterkenny [LR] closed.
10/08/1953Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway Buncrana Branch (Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway) Letterkenny Railway
Closed. Letterkenny [LR] to Tooban Junction, Buncrana to Tooban Junction and Tooban Junction to Londonderry Graving Dock closed.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.

Londonderry to Farland Point, Loch Swilly

This was the original Derry / Londonderry terminus of the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway. The line ran north and then west to reach Farland Point on Lough Swilly.
...

More

This halt opened by the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway^s locomotive shed and works....

More

This was a single platform station to the east of a level crossing. The platform was on the north side, with the station building at the west end. Opposite the platform was a loop. Complete closure was in 1953....

More

This was a single platform station, with the platform on the east side of the line. To the south was a siding serving the Burnfoot Brick Works, served from the south. Complete closure was in 1953....

More

This junction station, an interchange platform, opened with the opening of a branch to Buncrana in 1864. By 1866 trains to the original terminus at Farland Point ceased.
...

More

This station opened near the former Trady Point (lost during land reclamation in the area, it was to the south) between the pier terminus at Farland Point and Junction.
...

More

Here the Letterkenny Railway met the relaid Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway line from Tooban Junction to Farland Point. This had been lifted in 1866 and its relaying and conversion of the L&LSR to 3 ft gauge allowed the Letterkenny to open to Londonderry. Thus it was not a true...

More

This was the original terminus of the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway on Loch Swilly. There was a pier.
...

More