Letterkenny Railway

Introduction

This 3 ft gauge railway ran from Burt Junction to Letterkenny [LR]. From Burt Junction the line was continued by a re-instated portion of the Farland Point line of the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway to Tooban Junction and on to Londonderry. The line never became owned by the ^Swilly^, but effectively became part of it as they were the operators.

It was originally promoted from Letterkenny to Cuttymanhill, but took a different route to the north.



Dates

  /  /1860Letterkenny Railway
Incorporated.
  /  /1865Letterkenny Railway
Construction work stalled due to luck of funds.
  /  /1880Letterkenny Railway
Act gives permission to construct a 3ft line.
  /  /1883Letterkenny Railway
Opened from Burnfoot Junction (on the site of the former Junction) (Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway) to Letterkenny [LR], the first portion reusing just over 2 miles of the former approach to Farland Point which closed in 1866.
09/03/1903Letterkenny and Burtonport Extension Railway
Opened from Letterkenny [LR] to Burtonport, extending the Letterkenny Railway.
  /  /1904Strabane, Raphoe and Convoy Railway
Renamed Strabane and Letterkenny Railway. Although a 3ft line it was supported by the Great Northern Railway [Ireland], whose support allowed extension of its proposed route to go beyond Convoy to reach Letterkenny [SandLR].
  /  /1909Strabane and Letterkenny Railway
Opened from Strabane [DR] (County Donegal Railways Joint Committee) to Letterkenny [SandLR] and connection to Letterkenny [LandLSR]. Operated by the CDRJC.
  /  /1920Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway Letterkenny Railway
Burnfoot Junction renamed Tooban Junction.
03/06/1940Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway Letterkenny Railway Letterkenny and Burtonport Extension Railway
Passenger trains withdrawn. Letterkenny [LR] to Burtonport closed.
  /03/1943Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway Letterkenny Railway Letterkenny and Burtonport Extension Railway
Londonderry Graving Dock to Gweedore re-opened to passenger specials.
  /06/1947Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway Letterkenny Railway Letterkenny and Burtonport Extension Railway
Closed to passengers. Gweedore to Letterkenny [LR] closed.
10/08/1953Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway Buncrana Branch (Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway) Letterkenny Railway
Closed. Letterkenny [LR] to Tooban Junction, Buncrana to Tooban Junction and Tooban Junction to Londonderry Graving Dock closed.
01/01/1960County Donegal Railways Joint Committee Finn Valley Railway West Donegal Railway Donegal Railway Station Co Killybegs Branch (Donegal Railway) Ballyshannon Branch (Donegal Railway) Strabane and Letterkenny Railway
Entire remaining CDRJC system closed. Buses continue to be operated.
  /  /1971County Donegal Railways Joint Committee Strabane and Letterkenny Railway
Joint Committee and S&LR are wound up and services passed to bus division of the Coras Iompair Eireann (CIE).

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.

Burt Junction to Letterkenny

This wholly new portion of line ran from Burt Junction west to Letterkenny [LR].

Here the Letterkenny Railway met the relaid Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway line from Tooban Junction to Farland Point. This had been lifted in 1866 and its relaying and conversion of the L&LSR to 3 ft gauge allowed the Letterkenny to open to Londonderry. Thus it was not a true...

More

This was a single platform station with the platform on the east side and a siding opposite, approached from the north.
...

More

This was a single platform station. The platform was on the east side of the line opposite a cattle dock on a siding approached from the north. To the east was a goods shed approached by a siding off the cattle dock siding which crossed the line to reach the shed. The station was to the west of...

More

This was a single platform station on the south side of the line. Opposite the platform was a goods shed on a loop approached from the east. A level crossing ran through the station site separating the platform (west) from the goods shed.
...

More

This was a single platform station on the north side of the single track line. At the east end was a siding, approached from the east.
...

More

This was a small station with a platform on the north side of the line and, opposite, a siding approached from the east. Closed to passengers in 1940 and completely in 1953....

More

This was the western terminus of the Letterkenny Railway, a 3 ft gauge line to Burt Junction.
...

More


Tooban Junction to Burt Junction

This portion re-used the original course of the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway^s portion from Junction to Farland.

This junction station, an interchange platform, opened with the opening of a branch to Buncrana in 1864. By 1866 trains to the original terminus at Farland Point ceased.
...

More

Here the Letterkenny Railway met the relaid Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway line from Tooban Junction to Farland Point. This had been lifted in 1866 and its relaying and conversion of the L&LSR to 3 ft gauge allowed the Letterkenny to open to Londonderry. Thus it was not a true...

More