Junction [Burnfoot] (1864-1866)
Burnfoot Junction (1884-1920)
Tooban Junction (1920-1953)
Opened on the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway.
Opened on the Letterkenny Railway.
Opened on the Buncrana Branch (Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This junction station, an interchange platform, opened with the opening of a branch to Buncrana in 1864. By 1866 trains to the original terminus at Farland Point ceased.
In 1883 the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway relaid the line from here to Burt Junction to meet the Letterkenny Railway. This link gave the Letterkenny (operated by the L&LSR) access to Londonderry.
The station had an island platform, the north side of which was used for Buncrana trains and the southern used for Letterkenny [L&LSR]. There were sidings and a turntable at the west end of the Letterkenny platform. A signal box was also at the west end.
The junction and much of the land and course of the railway was built on reclaimed land.
|/ /1883||Letterkenny Railway|
Opened from Burnfoot Junction (on the site of the former Junction) (Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway) to Letterkenny [LR], the first portion reusing just over 2 miles of the former approach to Farland Point which closed in 1866.
|/ /1920||Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway
Burnfoot Junction renamed Tooban Junction.
|10/08/1953||Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway
Buncrana Branch (Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway)
Closed. Letterkenny [LR] to Tooban Junction, Buncrana to Tooban Junction and Tooban Junction to Londonderry Graving Dock closed.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Tayside's Last Days of Steam
|The Railways of Strathmore (Perth, Forfar and Brechin)|