Letterkenny [LR] (1883-1940)
Opened on the Letterkenny Railway.
Opened on the Letterkenny and Burtonport Extension Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was the western terminus of the Letterkenny Railway, a 3 ft gauge line to Burt Junction.
The Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway connected to it, and operated it, by re-opening an abandoned portion of their Farland Point branch. Not long afterwards the Swilly converted its gauge to 3 ft.
The station was modified when the line was extended west to Burtonport.
In 1909 Letterkenny [SandLR] opened to the north and a connection to the east allowed trains from that line to terminate in the L&LSR station.
The station was on the eastern edge of the small town, there were two platforms, a loop, locomotive shed at the east end, and goods yard to the south.
The station closed to passengers in 1940 and completely in 1953.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
|Lauder Light Railway (Locomotion Papers)|
Tayside's Last Days of Steam
|The Railways of Strathmore (Perth, Forfar and Brechin)|