Glasgow St Enoch: Ex-Caledonian 2P 0-4-4T 55143 on duty at St Enoch on 15 April 1950.
Carlisle Upperby Shed: Royal Scot 46102 Black Watch simmers in the sidings at Upperby shed in 1958. One of the examples built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1927, no 46102 was officially withdrawn at the end of 1962 and disposed of by McWilliams of Shettleston in May 1964.
Carlisle: Fowler 2P 4-4-0 no 40565 on the middle road at Carlisle in April 1958.
Carlisle: Thanks - I'll take it from here... Polmadie's Stanier Pacific 46224 Princess Alexandra about to take over The Royal Scot from Crewe based classmate 46240 City of Coventry at the north end of Carlisle in April 1958.
Carlisle Durranhill Shed: Crab 42757 stands on Durranhill shed, Carlisle, in April 1958, some 18 months before the shed was officially closed by BR.
Dumfries: 40920 in a bay platforms at Dumfries in April 1958. The former Caledonian goods shed on the left looks over the station.
Carlisle Upperby Shed: 45289 at Carlisle Upperby Shed in April 1958.
North Queensferry: Gresley class D49 4-4-0 no 62708 Argyllshire brings the 3.43pm Edinburgh Waverley - Ladybank train off The Forth Bridge and coasts down the hill into North Queensferry station in April 1959. The locomotive spent most of its life at Thornton Junction shed, from which it was withdrawn the month after this photograph was taken.
North Queensferry: V2 60919 brings an up train through North Queensferry station in April 1959.
Grantown-on-Spey East: Boarding a northbound train at Grantown-on-Spey East in April 1961. (Old family photograph).
Springs Branch (Wigan): Patriot 45521 Rhyl on Springs Branch shed, Wigan, in April 1962.
Allerton: BR AC Electric Class AL5 no E3059 stands alongside class AL1 no E3009 on Allerton shed, Liverpool, in April 1962. View is north west from the end of the locomotive depot sidings.
Edge Hill: Class G1 0-8-0 no 49137 stands in the sidings at Edge Hill, Liverpool, on a murky day in April 1962. The locomotive had been officially withdrawn by BR approximately 6 months earlier.
Sutton Oak: 'Jinty' no 47490 standing on Sutton Oak shed (8G), St Helens, in 1962. Sutton Oak was officially closed in 1967 with the former 10 road straight shed being subsequently converted for use as a supermarket.
Springs Branch (Wigan): Originally built by Webb as a 4-cylinder Compound in 1904, the much modified G2A class 0-8-0 no 48895 is seen here stabled in the yard at Springs Branch, Wigan, in April 1962.
Wigan (L&Y): Stanier 2-6-2T no 40198 stands on the former no 9 road at Wigan shed (ex-L&YR) in April 1962. Roads 9-14 of the shed were roofless by this time. The shed, coded 27D, finally closed in April 1964 and was demolished in 1966. 40198 was withdrawn from Southport shed in the summer of 1962 and cut up at Campbells of Airdrie the following year.
Widnes Shed: Stanier 8F 2-8-0 no 48500 stands on shed at Widnes on 15 April 1962.
Springs Branch (Wigan): A crowded Sunday morning shed yard scene at Springs Branch, Wigan, on 15 April 1962, with smart looking Jinty 0-6-0T no 47444 standing centre stage.
Widnes Shed: The locomotive shed at Widnes in April 1962 with Stanier 2-8-0 no 48709 in residence.
Bidston Shed: Guests at Bidston shed, Birkenhead, on 15 April 1962 include class 04 2-8-0s 63848 (nearest) and 63767 from Gorton, with Saltley 9F no 92129 on the adjacent road.
Stranraer Town: The Jones Goods and Gordon Highlander with 'Scottish Rambler No 2' for St Enoch preparing to leave Stranraer Town station on 15 April 1953.
Dumfries Goods Junction: A busy scene at the north end of Dumfries on 15 April 1963. Photograph taken from a window of Scottish Rambler No 2 which is waiting to enter the station off the Lockerbie branch behind Jubilee 45588 Kashmir. The hold up is to allow the passage of a London relief, approaching the station in the background behind another Jubilee 45659 Drake. Standing alongside the special is 78026, the Dumfries station pilot.
Shieldhill: Jubilee 45588 Kashmir makes a photostop at Shieldhill, midway between Lockerbie and Dumfries, on 15 April 1963 with Scottish Rambler No 2. Passenger services had been withdrawn from the branch in 1952 and the line closed completely in 1966.
Castle Douglas: After the return from Kirkudbright 45588 heads towards Newton Stewart.
Beattock: Stanier Coronation Pacific no 46247 City of Liverpool stands alongside Beattock North signal box with the heavy 10am Euston - Perth on 15 April 1963 ready to take on banking assistance.
Dumfries: Jubilee 45588 Kashmir leaving Dumfries for Castle Douglas with the SLS/BLS Scottish Rambler No.2 Railtour on 15 April 1963.
Barrhill: GNSR No 49 takes water at Barrhill with Scottish Rambler while HR 103 is oiled.
Little Water of Fleet Viaduct: Scottish Rambler no 2, westbound through remotest Kirkcudbrightshire on 15 April 1963 between Loch Skerrow and Gatehouse of Fleet. The special is about to cross the viaduct over the Little Water of Fleet ('The Wee Fleet'), not to be confused with its bigger brother, located some two miles further west [see image 36501]. Jubilee 45588 Kashmir is at the head of the train.
Girvan: It is getting dark by the time the Scottish Rambler gets to Girvan. Next stop Glasgow.
Dumfries Shed: BR Standard class 4 2-6-0 no 76073 in the shed yard at Dumfries in April 1963 [see image 3570].
Beattock: Stanier Coronation Pacific no 46247 City of Liverpool photographed at the south end of Beattock station on 15 April 1963 heading the 10am Euston - Perth train. The train will shortly draw to a halt in order to take on banking assistance.
Dunragit: Photograph taken from a window of SLS/BLS Scottish Rambler no 2 on 15 April 1963. The train was on its way back from Stranraer Town to Glasgow St Enoch (behind HR103 + GNSR49) when it passed Stranraer shed's 57375 west of Dunragit. The Jumbo had earlier taken the special from Newton Stewart along the Garlieston and Whithorn branches and is seen here on its way home.
Dumfries: Jubilee no 45588 Kashmir stands in the bay at the north end of Dumfries in April 1963 with the SLS/BLS Scottish Rambler No.2 Joint Easter Rail Tour. The Jubilee has just brought in the train from Lockerbie via Lochmaben, having taken charge from Carlisle.
Beattock: 46247 City of Liverpool has pulled up alongside Beattock North signal box with the heavily loaded 10am Euston - Perth train on 15 April 1963 in order to take on banking assistance for the climb to the summit. [See image 33475]
Kirkcudbright: Standard tank 80023 backing Scottish Rambler no 2 out of Kirkcudbright station on 15 April 1963.
Dumfries Shed: View south from St Mary's Road Bridge, Dumfries, through a window at the rear of Dumfries shed. Photographed in April 1963, some 3 years prior to closure.
Dumfries (Caledonian): Jubilee 4-6-0 no 45588 Kashmir westbound on the former Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Junction route on 15 April 1963 with the 4-day SLS/BLS Easter Special Rail Tour 'Scottish Rambler no 2'. The special is seen here approaching Dumfries.
Lockerbie: Jubilee 45588 Kashmir recently arrived at Lockerbie from Carlisle on 15 April 1963 with Scottish Rambler No 2. From here the special would head west over the single line Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie route to reach Dumfries [see image 25465].
Dumfries: The SLS/BLS Easter Special Railtour (Scottish Rambler No 2) of 12-15 April 1963 arriving in the north bays at Dumfries on the last day of the tour. Jubilee 45588 Kashmir of 12A Kingmoor has just brought the train off the Dumfries Lochmaben & Lockerbie line having taking charge for the Carlisle - Lockerbie - Dumfries - Castle Douglas leg.
Beattock: One of the four named Black 5s, no 45158 Glasgow Yeomanry, stands on Beattock shed in April 1963. [Note a fifth locomotive 45155 carried the name 'The Queen's Edinburgh' for two years during the second world war.]
Garlieston: Passengers on Scottish Rambler No 2 transported in trucks down to Garlieston behind Caley Jumbo 57375 on 15 April 1963. The train is seen here shortly after arrival and is about to run forward along the harbour branch, following which 57375 will propel the train back to Millisle Junction.
Beattock: 'Right then - deep breaths...' Fairburn 2-6-4T no 42214 getting psyched up for the task in hand at Beattock South on 15 April 1963. Standing up ahead is 46247 City of Liverpool with the heavy 10am Euston - Perth awaiting the arrival of assistance before tackling the climb to Beattock summit [see image 28174].
Loch Skerrow: Jubilee 45588 Kashmir makes a photostop at Loch Skerrow on 15 April 1963 with the The SLS/BLS Scottish Rambler No 2 joint Easter rail tour.
Dumfries Shed: The east side of the shed yard at Dumfries, photographed on 15 April 1963 [see image 3407].
Stranraer Shed: Strangers on Stranraer shed in April 1963. HR 'Jones Goods' no 103 and GNSR no 49 Gordon Highlander stand ready to take over the SLS/BLS Scottish Rambler no 2 Joint Easter Railtour for its final leg from Stranraer Town to Glasgow St Enoch.
Whithorn: 57375 at Whithorn on 15 April 1963 after arrival from Wigtown and Garlieston.
Newton Stewart: A busy scene at Newton Stewart on 15 April 1963 with Jubilee 45588 Kashmir preparing to leave with 'Scottish Rambler No 2' for Stranraer Town. In the centre Caley 'Jumbo' 57375 has recently returned with the special from visits to Whithorn and Garlieston. Over on the left Ivatt 2-6-0 46467 is standby locomotive, while in the background a Black 5 has halted in the loop with an eastbound freight.
Stranraer Shed: View from the engine shed towards Stranraer Town Station on the right
Buittle: The SLS/BLS Scottish Rambler No 2 has just passed through the site of Buittle station (1859-1894), heading west, behind Jubilee 45588 Kashmir. The wayside station (pronounced 'Bittle') between Dalbeattie and Castle Douglas was closed early in the railway's history when the line was doubled. The old station entrance can be seen to the left of the road on 15 April 1963. [Ref query 6890]
Lockerbie: 45588 waits to leave for Dumfries and Stranraer.
Carlisle Upperby Shed: Withdrawn Stanier Princess Pacific no 46200 The Princess Royal stored in the sidings at Upperby in April 1964 awaiting disposal. The locomotive was eventually moved to Coatbridge to be cut up in the Calder scrapyard of Messrs Connell & Co in October of that year.
Carlisle: Clan Pacific no 72005 arrives at Carlisle platform 5 with the 3.40pm from Bradford on 15 April 1964.
Carlisle Kingmoor Shed: Fairburn 2-6-4T no 42210, one of Tebay's banking locomotives at that time, paying a visit to Kingmoor shed - possibly for a particular maintenance requirement - standing in the shed yard in May 1964.
Hairmyres: 80120 brings an East Kilbride branch train under the Thornton Road bridge at Hairmyres in April 1965.
Newcastle Central: A1 Pacific no 60145 Saint Mungo at Newcastle Central in April 1965 with the 9.30am York - Glasgow Queen Street.
Gateshead: Q6 0-8-0 no 63431 photographed near Greensfield Junction, Gateshead, in April 1965 with a train of mineral wagons.
East Kilbride: Standard tank 80121 following its arrival at East Kilbride on 15 April 1966 with the last steam hauled service from St Enoch.
Thorntonhall: Morning commuters await the last steam - hauled train to Glasgow at Thorntonhall on the frosty morning of 15th April 1966. Standard tank 80006 is in charge.
Glasgow St Enoch: 80121 prepares to leave St Enoch on 15 April 1966 with the last steam hauled service to East Kilbride. Note the white platform coating of bird droppings inside the starling net, a significant problem at the station in its latter days. St Enoch station finally closed on 26 June 1966 [see image 19481].
Glasgow St Enoch: Station pilot 78026 standing alongside the old St Enoch shed on 15 April 1966.
Glasgow St Enoch: 80121 leaves St Enoch on 15 April 1966 with the 17.33 train for East Kilbride, the last day of steam services on the line. Standing in the background is station pilot 78026.
Glasgow St Enoch: 45214 leaves St Enoch for Kilmarnock via Dalry in April 1966. All the platforms inside the starling net were white with droppings and the place smelt like the Bass Rock. Those who chose to jump off an arriving train prematurely on a wet day found it hazardous!
East Kilbride: BR Standard 2-6-4 tank 80121 running round the last steam hauled train from St Enoch at East Kilbride station on 15 April 1966. [See image 47096]
Niddrie West Junction: Brush Type 4 No. 1797 takes the Niddrie South line at Niddrie West Junction in April 1970 with an unidentified southbound block oil train of Murco tanks. The direct connection to the ECMl is on the immediate right of the loco but a crew change was probably scheduled to take place in Millerhill Yard. The crew has obviously not yet come to terms with the then recently modified train classifications and should have been displaying 6 rather than 5E40, the latter now indicating an ECS working, which it clearly was not.
Niddrie North Junction: Clayton No. D8505 takes the sharp curve from Niddrie North Junction towards Niddrie West on 15 April 1970 with the Leith General Warehousing grain wagons bound for Gorgie.
Niddrie West Junction: Brush Type 4 No 1765 eases the 13.58 Bathgate Upper to Ripple Lane empty Cartic 4s onto the Monktonall Junction line at Niddrie West in April 1970. Standing on the left is BR Sulzer Type 2 No 5067, the section ahead no doubt being occupied by another train - by 1970, the next open signalbox on the Sub was Morningside Road.
Niddrie West Junction: A block working of cyclohexane tanks (with the obligatory barrier wagon marshalled between loco and train) passes Niddrie West Junction in April 1970 heading for Millerhill Yard. The headcode box on Brush Type 4 D1755 should have shown this as a class 6 rather than a class 8 freight - in all probability the crew hadn't changed it from a previous working.
Niddrie West Junction: EE Type 4 No. 256 takes the centre road at Niddrie West Junction on 15 April 1970 and heads for the ECML at Monktonhall Junction with a train of empty Carflats, which no doubt had originated at Bathgate. The train is thought to be a supplementary service run because of high demand for Ford vehicles which could not be satisfied by the booked return working (4S42 and 4E35) between Dagenham and Bathgate.
Niddrie North Junction: Blue liveried Clayton No. D8606 is about to clatter over the junction at Niddrie North in April 1970 with a rake of 16t mineral wagons loaded with coal for Portobello Power Station.
Dalreoch Junction: Class 303 units 037 and 058 pass on the Balloch line at Dalreoch Junction on 15 April 1973 when engineering works resulted in a shuttle operation running beween Balloch and Dumbarton Central.
Dalreoch Junction: A 303 heads for Dumbarton along the recently singled line from Balloch just north of Dalreoch. The disconnected line is still in place. 15 April 1973.
Feistawiese: Having taken the 11.20 half load of iron ore from Erzberg to the summit station at Pršbichl, conventional chimneyed 0-6-2RT No. 97.207 and Giesl fitted No. 97203 drift downhill at Feistawiese on 15 April 1976 on their way to pick up the second portion.
Inverness MPD: Type 2 diesel locomotives on shed at Inverness on Saturday 15 April 1978. In the picture from left to right are 26018, 25228, 27032, 26013 and 27026.
Strathcarron: 26011 at the head of a Leeds - Kyle of Lochalsh special on 15 April 1978 crosses 26044 at Strathcarron.
Inverness MPD: 27032 photographed on shed at Inverness in April 1978.
Harwich Town: Before the Channel Tunnel was opened, Harwich Town station saw considerable train ferry activity, as seen here in April 1978 with 08 460 (the regular engine) drawing out the traffic from Zeebrugge. Usually, loading and unloading was timed with the tide to ensure the ship to shore ramp was horizontal, but in later years staff became more prepared to attempt the job with the ramp set at a very steep angle. Perhaps by trial and error, they discovered that Class 08 locos are quite capable of hauling heavy loads up 30 degree slopes!
Stratford - upon - Avon: 6024 King Edward I running a shuttle service between Tyseley and Stratford-upon-Avon on 15 April 1990.
Townhill Junction: 150258 passes the future site of Dunfermline Queen Margaret Station in April 1992. On the right is the stump of the Dunfermline Upper/Kincardine Junction line. [See image 9816]
Townhill Yard: 107045 passing Townhill loops with an Edinburgh-bound train on 14 April 1992. Townhill Wagon Shops and depot were behind the train.
Boness: No 19 about to leave Boness on 15 April 1995 with a train to Birkhill. The train was being operated in connection with an outing organised by the Edinburgh Science Festival.
Birkhill: No 19 runs round at Birkhill on 15 April 1995. The trip to Bo'ness and thence Birkhill was an event in the Edinburgh International Science Festival.
Birkhill: A bus to Bo'ness linking with a rail trip to Birkhill was an event in the Edinburgh International Science Festival on 15 April 1995. The photograph shows No 19 running round at Birkhill.
Reshui: QJ6517+6351 with a freight at Reshui, Inner Mongolia, in April 2000.
Kelvindale: View looking north towards Maryhill at Dawsholm during vegetation clearance.
Kelvindale: View looking south towards Anniesland over the future site of Kelvindale station.
Dalmally: Platform view at Dalmally Station in April 2005, looking west towards Oban.
Falls of Cruachan: The lonely looking platform bench at Falls of Cruachan Station in April 2005. Loch Awe can be glimpsed below through the trees on the left.
Loch Awe: Looking east towards Dalmally and Crianlarich through Loch Awe station in April 2005. The Loch Awe Hotel is off to the left at the top of the stairway from the platform. [See image 3603]
Connel Ferry Bridge: Connel Ferry Bridge from the north shore looking west in April 2005.
Connel Ferry: Platform scene at Connel Ferry station looking east in April 2005. The Shell oil depot stands off to the left.
Dalmally: The signal box at Dalmally station in April 2005, seen from the westbound platform.
Burnside: Oops! An unfortunate case of Photo-Interruptus. Early Sunday morning scene at Burnside station on 15 April 2007 with no trains due for some time as I emerge from the entrance stairway with a camera looking west... and a little embarrassed...
Kings Park: Entrance to Kings Park station from Kingsbridge Drive on 15 April 2007. View is west towards Cathcart East Junction.
Bridge of Earn: Diversion via Stirling weekend 14 - 15 April meant the line through Bridge of Earn was being occupied by Permanent Way staff to replace worn sleepers between Perth Road and the M90.
Kings Park: Morning view over Kings Park station on 15 April 2007, looking west from Kingsbridge Drive. The large building on the horizon is Cathcart House, headquarters of Scottish Power, although plans are afoot to relocate operations to a new building in the city centre.
Kirkhill: A Newton train arriving at Kirkhill on 15 April 2007. View from the road bridge over the broad mezzanine level where the station building once stood. [See image 8051]
Kings Park: The fact that Kings Park is a station serving nearby Hampden and thus the destination for many football specials over the years is reflected in the wide stairway with heavy duty side barriers and double handrails. There's still a certain atmosphere about the place, even at 8 o'clock on a quiet Sunday morning.
Cambuslang: The south entrance to Cambuslang station on 15 April 2007, with the rear of the station building on the far side of the footbridge spanning the line.
Burnside: Looking across Stonelaw Road on the southside of Glasgow on 15 April 2007 towards the interesting main entrance to the 1904 station at Burnside.
Inchlea Crossing: Near the site of Inchlea Crossing, north of Dalwhinnie.
Forteviot: 66207 heading south with three empty flat wagons.
Kirkhill: A quiet Sunday morning at Kirkhill in April 2007, seen here looking north west from the station entrance on Greenlees Road. The wide mezzanine level spanning the platforms once housed the booking office [see image 8051].
Tickets and labels: A single ticket from Hawkhead to Paisley West - a bargain at 8d! Ticket is dated Saturday 12 February 1966, the last day of passenger services at both stations, with official closure taking place on Monday 14th.
Burnside: Approaching Burnside station on a Sunday morning, half expecting to hear the strains of Bach's Fugue in A minor coming from the doorway... A distinctly ecclesiastical atmosphere surrounds the eastern entrance to the station, seen here early on 15 April 2007 sandwiched between the bridges on Stonelaw Road.
Culloden Viaduct: 45407 and 60009 put in plenty of effort as they come off Culloden Viaduct on their way south with The North Briton.
Culloden Viaduct: 45407 and 60009 cross Culloden Viaduct and have a good head of steam ready for the climb up to Moy with The North Briton railtour.
Hilton Junction: Turbostar working the 1647 Perth to Edinburgh crossing the Earn Bridge Look at the arches and find the flood high water marks.
Forteviot: Running 65 minutes late, train 1Z23 The North Briton passing Forteviot on 15 April with locomotive 60009 Union of South Africa in fine fettle.
Carmyle: 156453 First ScotRail Service departing at 1749 for Glasgow Central
Alloa: SWT liveried 158 786 leaves Alloa on 15 April, passing the site of the earlier station, on a crew training run to Stirling.
Carmyle: The North Briton. 60009 Union of South Africa leading, passes through Carmyle on 15 April 2008.
Carmyle: The North Briton running 71 mnutes late on approch to Carmyle heading for its final destination at Glasgow Central
Stirling: A South West Trains liveried 158 heads south across the Forth at Stirling on 15 April 2008 on a route familiarisation trip from Alloa prior to the official reopening of the line. The train is on the easterly (NB) of the two parallel viaducts that cross the Forth here, the nearest (Caley) carrying the main line south from Bridge of Allan. Part of the great loop in the river, spanned by the viaducts at this point, can also be seen running across the top of the photograph, just beyond the perimeter of Stirling County rugby club.
Forteviot: Black smoke from 60009 as it passes Forteviot on 15th April. I saw some photographers standing on this bridge...!
Stirling: Looking over the rooftops of Stirling on 15 April 2008, with a ScotRail 158 approaching the station from the south. The 2-car train is just passing Stirling Middle signal box.
Bridge of Allan: Looking north from Stirling Castle towards Bridge of Allan on 15 April 2008 with a container train about to pass through the station.
Knaresborough Viaduct: The Waterside at Knaresborough looking north west on 15 April 2009 with the railway viaduct over the River Nidd forming the backdrop. The line from Leeds and Harrogate comes in from the left with Knaresborough station off to the right just beyond the viaduct.
Dunfermline Town: 67026 catches the evening sun south of Dunfermline with 2L69, the 17:21 Edinburgh to Cardenden service, on Thursday, 15 April 2010.
Burntisland: Edinburgh bound 158734 arriving at Burntisland on 15 April 2010.
Kirtlebridge Junction: Looking south along the trackbed of the former Solway Junction Railway towards Annan and, ultimately, Cumbria. A narrow gauge line ran down the west (here the right hand side) of the line from Kirtlebridge station to the Mossfoot Ammunition Depot (the building to the right being perhaps part of this former depot).
Lancaster Green Ayre: Lancaster Green Ayre steam shed was sited near to the station of the same name alongside the single track link line to Lancaster Castle station, which is now the cycleway seen here alongside the River Lune. Greyhound Bridge, seen curving away to the right, carried the direct line to Morecambe until it closed in 1966 and was soon afterwards turned into a road bridge. The steam shed site, right in the city centre, is now covered by a Sainsbury's supermarket.
Kinghorn: Looking resplendent no 1. Kinghorn on 15 April 2010.
Burntisland: Looking resplendent No 2. Burntisland on 15 April 2010.
Glasgow Central: The new platforms 12 and 13 at Glasgow Central on 15 April 2010. The main construction activity appears to be complete with track now in place and finishing work in progress.
Kirtlebridge: Looking north over the site of Kirtlebridge station and junction (for Annan and the Solway Viaduct) in 2010. Both have been oblitered with the remaining mainline now crossed by the M74. The station and junction line formerly occupied the left hand side of this view.
Tay Bridge: Out on the Tay Bridge on 15 April unit 170414 will shortly reach the high girders with an Edinburgh bound service, as the Compass railtour heads north near the end of the outward leg of its journey from Blackpool.
Dundee: WCRC Class 47 no 47786 Roy Castle OBE in the sidings west of Dundee station with railtour stock on 15 April 2011. In the left background are the masts of the RRS 'Discovery'.
Paddington: View over Paddington station in April 2011 with a First Great Western HST about to depart.
Dundee: 170412 waits in bay platform 3 at Dundee on 15 April 2011 with the 1650 hrs departure for Edinburgh Waverley.
Tay Viaduct [Perth]: The 12.41 Glasgow Queen Street - Aberdeen edges across the Tay Viaduct in Perth on 15th April 2011
Tay Bridge: Travelling north across the Tay Bridge inside the High Girders (version 2) on 15 April 2011. [See image 4541]
Tay Bridge South: The return Compass Tours 'Forth and Tay Bridge Express' southbound from Dundee comes off the Tay Bridge and passes Tay Bridge South signal box on 15 April 2011. Leading locomotive is 47804 with 47786 bringing up the rear.
Dundee: As 170412 arrives on Platform 3 at Dundee with a terminating service from Edinburgh, the Compass Tours Forth and Tay Bridges Express waits on platform 1 with the return leg of the tour on 15 April 2011.
Dundee: An 'East Coast' HST service departs from platform 4 at Dundee on 15 April 2011 heading for Aberdeen.
Dunfermline Town: 47854 climbs away from Dunfermline Town on 15 April 2014 with the first 'Royal Scotsman' of the season, on its way from Edinburgh to Boat of Garten.
Gleneagles: Work at Gleneagles station progressing in readiness for the 2014 Ryder Cup which takes place in September. View south on 15 April along the former Crieff platform.
Gleneagles: The up Inverness - Kings Cross Highland Chieftain calls at Gleneagles on 15 April during ongoing works in preparation for the forthcoming Ryder Cup. [See image 47005]
Tehachapi: Railroad Crossing at Tehachapi Depot, California on the Union Pacific line connecting Bakersfield and Mojave in April 2014. The station closed in the 1960s. The depot building (rebuilt) beyond the crossing houses an excellent railway museum.
Tehachapi: Standing between the railroad tracks and Tehachapi main street, the Southern Pacific water tower with the closed Depot beyond. Built to water the locomotives battling the gradients through the Tehachapi Pass on the line between Bakersfield and Mojave in the Californian high desert.
Mount Florida: A Cathcart Circle train leaves Mount Florida southbound on 15 May 2014.
Tehachapi Loop: A very long container freight, with three locomotives at the head-end, on the Tehachapi Loop spiral in April 2014. Built by the Southern Pacific, the 19th century spiral is 0.73 miles of continious 2% grade. Situated in the Tehachapi Pass in the California high desert, the arrangement enabled trains to ascend the pass between Mojave and Bakersfield.
Brock: The last foot crossing on the WCML at Brock has been closed and replaced by a footbridge. The crossing, on the extreme left, is now blocked by palisade fencing. This view is south east on 15 April 2014. [See image 23510]. [Ref query 9738]
Reading: A CrossCountry 221 departing from Reading on 15 April 2015 with a service destined for Bournemouth.
St Pancras: View of St Pancras looking north across Euston Road from Argyle Street on 15 April 2015, with the sunshades of The Betjeman Arms clearly visible on the terrace.
Kings Cross: The market stalls have moved in and the blue mesh is back around the Kings Cross underground entrance building on 15 April 2015, the warmest day of the year so far. View from the eastern end of the St Pancras Station terrace.
Didcot Parkway: 67003, 67006 and the DB badge on a passing class 66, photographed at Didcot on 15 April 2015.
Reading: A view west from Reading station footbridge on 15 April.
Storr Lochs Power Station: Opened by the North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board in 1952. A feature of Storr Lochs Power Station is the standard gauge cable-worked railway giving access to the plant on the shore. Maximum gradient is 1 in 2! Doesn't look like the line has been used recently. Currently operated by Scottish and Southern Energy, there is a public viewpoint. The two photographs taken on 15 April 2015 show the view from the top, with the car inside the shed alongside.
Raynes Park: A westbound South West Trains service pauses at Platform 3 of Raynes Park station on 15 April 2015. The station has two island platforms.
Didcot Parkway: Colas 60076 runs through Didcot on 15 April 2015 with a rake of steel coil wagons.
Didcot Parkway: Three different class 67 liveries in the sidings at Didcot on 15 April 2015. From left to right are 67003, 67006 and 67025.
Didcot Parkway: 66098 passing Didcot northbound on 15 April 2015 with a trainload of spoil from the Crossrail project.
Ardmore Level Crossing: 66737 just after passing Ardmore Level Crossing heads east with the empties from Fort William. In the foreground is Ballimenach Yair, one of the six old fish yairs (fish traps) found in this area.
Cowlairs Incline: View up the Incline from Pinkston Road. Rail mounted cement mixers and Road/Rail Vehicles can be seen parked at the Keppochhill Drive/Fountainwells access point. Above them can be seen the blue painted Fountainwells overbridge which is scheduled for demolition soon.
Cowlairs Incline: View of the Fountainbridge and Keppochhill Drive works depots with rail mounted cement mixers and Road/Rail Vehicles parked at the new access point. The arch seen on the upper left is Pinkston Road overbridge.
Cowlairs Incline: The new access point for the Cowlairs Incline and Queen Street High Level Tunnel works recently constructed at the Fountainbridge and Keppochhill Drive works depots.
Cowlairs Incline: View down the Incline from Keppochhill Road. Rail mounted cement mixers and Road/Rail Vehicles can be seen parked at the Keppochhill Drive/Fountainwells access point. The north portal of the tunnel can be seen in the centre distance above the blue Fountainwells overbridge which is scheduled for demolition soon.
Cowlairs Incline: Rail mounted cement mixers and Road/Rail Vehicles parked at the Keppochhill Drive/Fountainwells access point on 15th April 2016.
Port Talbot Parkway: Port Talbot station is almost complete with new car parking and facilities. This is a view of the down platform side with level crossing (which is now pedestrian only) and signal box in the background. The 1248 to Paddington is pulling out the station.
Glasgow Riverside Museum: Sou'West on top at the Riverside Museum. The footplate of Caledonian Single No 123 is below.
Exeter Central: Quite a big gap at this end. Trains for Paignton (left) and Exmouth (right) await passengers at 20.34 on the 15th of April. The flats surrounding the station remind me of Marylebone.
Morchard Road: The 15.16 to Exmouth slowing to call at Morchard Road on 15 April 2017 to pick up the photographer and friends for a trip into Exeter. [Ref query 1013]
Crediton: The 15.38 to Barnstaple crosses an Exmouth-bound service at Crediton on 15 April 2017 [see image 43525].
Edinburgh Waverley: How do I get from Edinburgh Gateway to Galashiels? Well, I wouldn't expect any help from this digital map at Waverley, seen on Good Friday 2017. Stuck in time, some point before September 2015 ...
Warcop: Thumper in the woods. DEMU 205009 returns to Warcop after an Easter Saturday trip along the 2.2 mile operational section of the Eden Valley Railway. These Southern units never ran on BR in Carmine & Cream livery but it creates an attractive appearance.
Exeter Central: The long way across - the footbridge at Exeter Central in April 2017, looking north west. [Ref query 8 May 2018]
Exeter St Davids: A nodding donkey awaits departure for Barnstaple at dusk.
Exeter Central: Contary to popular rumour, digital signage (notice the pointed finger at the lower centre of the sign) was an integral part of Victorian railways. Photo' taken on our second trip past the sign - a platform change was announced when we were half way across the footbridge. [see also image 41091]
Warcop: Two images of the Eden Valley Railway at Warcop. The upper view looks north west showing the railway running alongside the fence of Warcop army camp towards Appleby. The lower image looks back towards Warcop station, its approach road and the EVR preservation base on 15th April 2017. [Ref query 997]
Exeter Central: The street entrance to Central station offers a warm welcome on a spring evening. Notice the electric bikes in the foreground.
Appleby: Due to a broken rail the 1017 ex Leeds waits for instructions while the ex Carlisle due Appleby 1341 draws in on schedule. The ex Leeds restarted at 1425.
Shawfair: The Sunday 0911 Edinburgh Waverley -Tweedbank, consisting of a 5-car 158+170 combination, running south midway between Newcraighall and Shawfair stations on a sunny 15 April 2018. In the background are the recycling plants which now occupy much of the west side of the former Millerhill Marshalling Yard. On the left is the Biogen food waste processing facility, while on the right is the under construction Edinburgh and Midlothian Recycling and Energy Recovery Centre (which has recently gained a tall chimney).
Haymarket [Tram]: An airport-bound tram pulls into the Haymarket stop on 15 April 2018. This view from the (non-public) upper floor of the Haymarket station building shows how much kit there is on the roof, more than on an EMU. It hardly looks waterproof, but I suppose it must be!
Sheffield: Northern Pacer 142071, stabled on a centre road at Sheffield, alongside 158904 which was waiting to form the 1017 to Carlisle via the S&C. 15th April 2018.
Hardengreen Viaduct: ScotRail 170457 runs out onto the north end of Hardengreen Viaduct shortly after leaving Eskbank station on 15 April 2018 with a service to Tweedbank.
Sheffield: Northern Sprinter, stabled in the bay platforms at the south end of Sheffield station on 15th April 2018. The Sheffield Supertram line to Halfway runs immediately behind the brick retaining wall on the left of the picture.
Events from the chronology which occured on this day. This generally lists events before 1995, the creation of the website.
|1844||Newcastle and Darlington Junction Railway||Line ready to be opened. Junction at Brockley Whins required reversal.|
|1844||Durham Gilesgate Branch (Newcastle and Darlington Junction Railway)||Line opened to Durham^s first station.|
|1856||South Wales Railway||Extended from Haverfordwest to Neyland.|
|1867||Esk Valley Railway||Opened from Esk Valley Junction (Peebles Railway) to Polton.|
|1928||Rhymney Railway||Parade closed. The station had two platforms and a bay. Trains were diverted to Queen Street.|
|1965||Solsgirth No1||Construction begins|
These are old news items which which occured on this day. This generally lists events after 1995, the creation of the website.
|2002||Beauly station re-opens||Beauly station is opened after a number of delays in being approved by the Health and Safety Executive).|
Click on images for larger versions.
|2002||Freight returns to Thurso||EWS Freight trains start running to a new hard standing at Thurso station used by Thurso Building Supplies.|
|2004||Bus and rail giant plans to site headquarters in city [Scotsman]||FIRSTGROUP, Britain^s biggest bus operator and the country^s second-largest rail company, is planning to build its new corporate headquarters in Aberdeen, in a major vote of confidence for the North-east economy.|
|2004||Maryhill - Dawsholm - Anniesland site preparation||The closed line between Maryhill, Dawsholm and Anniesland, which is to be re-opened for Glasgow to Maryhill trains to turn back at Annieland, is being prepared for re-opening. Trees have been removed from the trackbed. Opening the line will increase capacity at Westerton, where Maryhill trains currently turn back, to allow the new services to Larkhall to run through Westerton.|
|2006||Harthope viaduct to be renewed||Harthope Viaduct is to be renewed over the Easter weekend.|
|2008||Historic site survey in rail town [BBC News Article]||Historic Scotland inspectors are to visit a Borders town where a new railway station is proposed.|
|2010||Dedicated high-speed rail in China [Rail-news.com]||China^s railway network is intended to increase to a massive 120,000 km by 2020. Amongst its latest developments is a breathtaking programme of dedicated high speed rail routes.|
|2010||Train damage due to thrown object [BBC News Article]||A London to Glasgow train is severely damaged after a large metal bracket is thrown at it in South Lanarkshire.|
|2011||Highland capital rail upgrade on track for 5 year finish [Press and Journal]||A £200million upgrade of the Aberdeen to Inverness rail line could be completed in five years, a feasibility study has found.|
|2011||Tube unions to reject ^disappointing^ 5.5% pay deal [Metro]||Train unions look set to turn down a four per cent pay rise for the next year and above-inflation rises for the following four years.|
|2011||Bellingham Heritage Centre hopes train will boost tourism [The Journal]||He had the task of transporting a 66ft long, 32-tonne 1950s railway carriage on the back of his wagon more than 400 miles from Oakehampton in Devon to Bellingham in Northumberland. [Update - from Richard Buckby.]|
|2012||Poster display at Newcraighall [Railscot]||Posters designed by the Craigmillar Arts Centre now brighten the platform at Newcraighall Station, celebrating the life of the iconic film-maker Bill Douglas who was born nearby. Planters on the platform are maintained by the Rotary Club of Portobello.|
|2015||Danger as tram surfers putting lives at risk [Evening News]||TWO children who clung to the side of a moving tram have been branded ďidiotsĒ amid fears the stunt could have proven deadly. One of the thrill-seekers, who appears to be in his early teens, was photographed by a shocked tram passenger who said the pair high-fived as they rode for at least two stops through the city centre. [From Richard Buckby]|
|2016||ScotRail strike ballot triggered by row over downgrading of staff [Scotsman]||A strike ballot has been called at ScotRail over plans to downgrade conductors on a new electric train fleet, The Scotsman has learned. Hundreds of members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) will take part after officials failed to get the ‚Äúnecessary assurances‚ÄĚ that the proposals would not go ahead.|
|2016||Banbury residents fight to save historic railway signal box [Oxford Mail]||CAMPAIGNERS in Banbury are battling to save an historic signal box from demolition. Network Rail announced plans to tear down both the north and south boxes near Banbury station, as part of ¬£76m of upgrades to the rail network. But nearly 300 people have joined a Facebook group calling for the north box, which was built in 1901, to be turned into an education centre for railway enthusiasts. The two boxes, by Bridge Street, are scheduled to be removed when the area^s signalling system is upgraded in August and is moved from Banbury to the West Midlands.|
|2016||Luton airport to replace bus transfers with ¬£200m light rail link [Guardian]||Luton airport plans to park its much-maligned bus transfer service once and for all and build a ¬£200m light rail link to the nearest railway station. The fast-track service would make journey times between the capital and Luton airport faster than for those flying via Gatwick, the airport claimed. The 24-hour, automated light-rail link would replace the buses currently used to transfer travellers between the station and the terminal, making the fastest complete journey from Luton airport to London St Pancras less than 30 minutes. The 1.3-mile link will be funded by Luton borough council, which owns the airport freehold. While the station is almost adjacent to the airport perimeter, it is around 40 metres downhill from it, making a fixed rail link difficult to build. [From Richard Buckby]|
|2017||Chance to look at plans for second platform at Dunbar Railway Station [East Lothian Courier]||TWO meetings looking at plans to build a second platform at Dunbars railway station take place over the next fortnight. Network Rail is holding the drop-in sessions in the town to gather the publics views on the proposals, with a second platform and bridge over the railway line potentially in place within three years. Preliminary works were carried out at land at the railway station in 2015.|