Inverurie: The north end of Inverurie station on 26 March 1959 sees J36 0-6-0 no 65303 engaged in manoeuvres in conjunction with D2414 prior to taking out a freight. The 0-4-0 diesel mechanical shunter, built by Andrew Barclay & Sons, Kilmarnock, has no coupling rods and looks to be in course of delivery. D2414 was originally allocated to 61C, Keith and ended its days at 62C Dunfermline in September 1981 as 06002.
Inverurie: J36 0-6-0 no 65303 pulls up at Inverurie with a freight in March 1959. Immediately behind the J36 is Barclay diesel-hydraulic no D2414, at that time a recent addition to the allocation of Keith shed.
Forfar [2nd]: Platform scene at Forfar in 1959 looking towards Kinnaber Junction and Aberdeen. The locomotive shed can be seen in the left background. Forfar closed to passengers in September 1967 although the line back to Stanley Junction remained open for freight traffic until 1982.
Tyne Dock MPD : Q7 0-8-0 no 63473 standing in the yard alongside 52H Tyne Dock shed in March 1960. These powerful locomotives were eventually displaced on the Tyne Dock - Consett workings in the late 1950s following arrival of new BR Standard class 9F 2-10-0s. One example - no 63460 - has been preserved and is on display inside North Road Museum, Darlington [see image 18893].
Heaton: Kings Cross A4 Pacific no 60030 Golden Fleece leaving Heaton with ECS for Newcastle Central in March 1960.
Tyne Dock: J25 no 65645 shunts a high-capacity iron ore hopper alongside the loading gantry at Tyne Dock bottom in March 1960. The 40 plus locomotives allocated to Tyne Dock shed around that time included 10 of the powerful Standard class 9F 2-10-0s, all fitted with Westinghouse air compressors for operating the discharge doors on these hoppers during unloading at Consett.
Consett: On the roof of County Durham in 1960. Tyne Dock 9F 2-10-0 no 92097, having completed the climb up from the coast, is about to take its train of iron-ore hoppers through the automated discharge area at Consett. The good news for the fireman is that the road home is all downhill!
West Hartlepool: A real North Eastern scene inside one of the roundhouses at West Hartlepool. Lineup from left to right is J94 68056, J72 68715, J72 68711 and J94 68051. The photograph is thought to have been taken in March 1961. West Hartlepool shed was officially closed by BR in September 1967.
Thornaby Shed: WD Austerity 2-8-0 no 90435 in the shed yard at 51L Thornaby in March 1961.
Thornaby Shed: A line of mainly Q6 0-8-0 locomotives in the yard at Thornaby in March 1961. 63370 had arrived at its new home in June 1958 from Newport (Teesside), one of the four old steam sheds in the area replaced by the new 51L.
Thornaby MPD: J27 0-6-0 no 65853 et al lined up at 51L Thornaby on 26 March 1961. Britain's last purpose-built steam shed had opened on a 70 acre site here 3 years earlier as a replacement for the old sheds at Stockton, Haverton Hill, Newport and Middlesbrough. The shed closed to steam in December 1964, some six and a half years after opening. Thornaby closed completely in 2009.
Blaydon Shed: K1 2-6-0 no 62022 stands alongside 52C Blaydon Shed on 26 March 1961.
Tyne Dock: BR Standard class 9F no 92066, one of the batch of powerful 2-10-0s allocated to Tyne Dock shed specifically to handle the gruelling Tyne Dock - Consett iron ore trains. The locomotive is seen on its home shed in March 1961 displaying a 52H shed plate. All 10 of the Tyne Dock 9Fs were fitted with Westinghouse pumps (on the other side of the locomotive) required to operate the pneumatic discharge doors on the iron ore hoppers. [See image 24029]
Heaton Shed: Locomotives stabled over the weekend in the shed yard at Heaton (52B) on an overcast Sunday 26 March 1961. The coaling stage is visible in the right background. The lineup includes Gresley K3 2-6-0 no 61854, a visitor from Tweedmouth (52D).
Carlisle: Fowler 3F 0-6-0T no 47345 on station pilot duty at the north end of Carlisle, thought to have been taken in March 1964. The locomotive was withdrawn six months later.
Carlisle Kingmoor Shed: The uniquely endowed V2 2-6-2 no 60813 in the shed yard at Kingmoor on 26 March 1964.
Carlisle Kingmoor Shed: Old meets new at Carlisle Kingmoor on 26 March 1964, with Gresley V2 2-6-2 no 60864 standing alongside an unidentified EE Type 1 diesel locomotive. The V2 appears to have sustained collision damage at the front end and is recorded as being officially withdrawn by BR 10 days earlier. Its last shed allocation is shown as 50A York. The locomotive was disposed of through Darlington Works the following month.
Carlisle: Rebuilt Patriot 4-6-0 no 45545 Planet arrives in the west sidings at Carlisle on 26 March 1964 with a terminating parcels train from the south.
Langholm: Ivatt 2-6-0 43121 at Langholm on 26 March 1967 with the SLS/BLS Scottish Rambler no 6. Immediately to the right of the tender is a young Bruce McCartney - whose camera was on the blink at the time!
Carstairs: 'Scottish Rambler No 6' stands at Carstairs on 26 March 1967, shortly after arrival from Glasgow Central. The locomotive is Britannia Pacific no 70032 Tennyson which hauled the train on the leg from Glasgow to Carlisle (Upperby). [See image 29747]
Glasgow Central: The BLS/SLS Scottish Rambler No 6 railtour about to get underway at Glasgow Central on 26 March 1967. Britannia Pacific no 70032 Tennyson took the special south to Carlisle via the WCML.
Carstairs: 'Scottish Rambler No 6' stands at Carstairs on 26 March 1967 behind Britannia Pacific no 70032 Tennyson shortly after arrival from Glasgow Central [see image 35364].
Carstairs: Britannia Pacific no 70032 Tennyson stands at Carstairs station on 26 March 1967 with 'Scottish Rambler No 6', shortly after arrival from Glasgow Central on its way to Carlisle.
Carlisle: Britannia Pacific no 70032 Tennyson on the Carlisle goods lines heading for Upperby with Scottish Rambler no 6 on 26 March 1967 after bringing the special south from Glasgow Central.
Alston: Ivatt 2-6-0 no 43121 standing at Alston on 26 March 1967 with the BLS/SLS Scottish Rambler No 6.
Alston: Ivatt 2-6-0 no 43121 stands at Alston station with the BLS/SLS Scottish Rambler no 6 on 26 March 1967. 43121 had brought in this leg of the railtour from Upperby and was now preparing to head for Citadel Station on a circuitous route via the Carlisle goods lines, Riddings Junction and Langholm.
Haltwhistle: Ivatt 2-6-0 no 43121 taking water at Haltwhistle during a break in the BLS/SLS 'Scottish Rambler no 6' railtour on 26 March 1967. The locomotive was in charge for the section which included a return trip over the Alston branch [see image 29676].
Haltwhistle: Ivatt 2-6-0 no 43121 occupies the Alston branch platform at Haltwhistle on 26 March 1967 as it prepares to take the BLS/SLS Scottish Rambler No 6 on a return trip tover the branch.
Alston: Looking south east towards Alston station on 26 March 1967, with Ivatt 2-6-0 no 43121 at the head of the recently arrived BLS/SLS Scottish Rambler no 6. [See image 35215]
Glasgow Central: Glasgow Central on 26 March 1974 with a class 27 on ECS duty.
Glasgow Central: 83003 prepares to take its train out of Glasgow Central on 26 March 1974.
Glasgow Central: Prior to the introduction of electric services on the WCML there were several test and training runs in and out of Glasgow Central. On 26 March 1974, one of the first generation of 25KV locomotives, no 83003, is seen taking a test set out of platform 11.
Glasgow Central: Class 303 EMU unit 014 arrives at Glasgow Central in March 1974 with other stock stabled in the carriage sidings in the background.
Glasgow Central: Class 303s at Glasgow Central in March 1974 with unit 022 on the left departing for Wemyss Bay.
Glasgow Central: 50046 at Glasgow Central in March 1974.
Glasgow Central: DMU approaching Glasgow Central in 1974. The destination blind is already set for the next trip to Kilmacolm.
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level: 303 087 arrives at Queen Street Low Level in 1974 with an Airdrie service.
Gelsenkirchen Bismarck: DB 044-508 caught coming on shed at Gelsenkirchen Bismarck on 26 March 1977.
Duisburg Wedau: The sad sight of an unidentified DB class 50 locomotive in the process of being broken up at Duisberg Wedau in March 1977.
Wortwell: Still boasting its platform canopy in March 1978, the good condition of the former Wortwell station belied the fact that it had closed to passengers 101 years earlier and trains had stopped passing through in 1960. However, there was no stopping the A143 eventually passing through here, and this view is now one of tarmac and cars.
Ballinluig: 37173 at Ballinluig on 26 March 1982.
Ais Gill Summit: 46229 storms over Ais Gill Summit with southbound Cumbrian Mountain Express.
Fairwood Junction: A locomotive with an interesting history, no 47901, seen at Fairwood Junction, Westbury, with a stone train on 26 March 1986. One of the 512 Brush Type 4 diesel electrics built for BR in the 1960s, it began life as D1628. Having been subsequently renumbered as 47046 it was refitted as a mobile test rig for class 56 traction equipment in 1976 and given the number 47601. A further conversion took place 3 years later in 1979, when it was refitted with class 58 test components and given the number 47901. It was finally withdrawn from service in February 1990. [See image 25148]
Stobs Camp Siding: And finally... a particularly interesting bottle discovered in the undergrowth at the end of the headshunt from the former Stobs Yard in 1987. This bottle displays the embossed markings 'Alexander Scott' and 'Hawick' and it is easy to imagine how it might have arrived here.
Porthmadog [FR]: Narrow Gauge locomotive Mountaineer heads out onto The Cob as it leaves the Ffestiniog Railway's Porthmadog Terminus in the spring of 1988.
Ddualt: Ffestiniog Railway's 2-4-0ST+T Blanche traverses the Ddualt incline spiral in 1988 as it heads south on a working from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Porthmadog
Quorn and Woodhouse: D123 Leicestershire and Derbyshire Yeomanry at Quorn & Woodhouse on the Great Central Railway on 26 March 2004.
Quorn and Woodhouse: 45305 at Quorn & Woodhouse on the GCR in March 2004.
Allington West Junction: The new replacement signal box at Allington West Junction in March 2004.
Allington West Junction: Old and new signal boxes at Allington West Junction in March 2004.
Haymarket: The exit from platform 1 into the north side car park at Haymarket station on 26 March 2006. Taken through the metal fence along Haymarket Terrace, prior to commencement of work on the station's new bay platform 0.
Edinburgh Waverley: Temporary access to track level on the north side of Waverley from the old Royal Mail yard on Calton Road in March 2006. The route is currently being used by the project team working on the station modifications.
Edinburgh Waverley: Work continuing on Waverley's north side on Sunday 26 March 2006. Looking west along platform 1 beyond the crossover.
Edinburgh Waverley: View east over the Waverley sub platforms early on Sunday 26 March 2006, with the the car parking area running alongside and Market Street upper right. The old platform canopy looks as though it has seen better days. The train boarding at platform 21 is a GNER service for Kings Cross. [See image 58751]
Govan Road: Govan Road at Govan Shipbuilders (formerly Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Ltd) looking east. Railway access was along Govan Road using the tramlines from Govan.
Princes Dock: Looking north at where the Princes Dock line entered the Princes Dock area.
Muirhouse North Junction: A junction with three names; Cathcart Junction, Pollokshields East Junction and now Muirhouse North Junction.
Maxwell Park: Footway across Maxwell Park which enters the two-level station building for access to the island platform.
Princes Dock: View across Govan Road showing the former bridge over the Princes Dock Joint Railway at the point where, behind the camera, the line entered the docks. At this point the line ran in a cutting which has been infilled between here and Ibrox. View looks south west on the 26th of March, 2006.
Maxwell Park: Outer Circle train at Maxwell Park.
Maxwell Park: Platform access at Maxwell Park. Interesting mini fences.
Maxwell Park: Railway companies and regulators come and go but Maxwell Park, amazingly, still remains.
Maxwell Park: A view from the bridge. From the footbridge looking west.
Maxwell Park: Star turn. The station building at Maxwell Park seen from the east. Even the grey cabinets are red here!
Pollokshields West: A lane takes passengers to the bridge over the island platform at Pollokshields West.
Pollokshields West: Pollokshields West now sadly without two tier station building.
Botanic Gardens: Once there was a station here. View north over Great Western Road to the site of Botanic Gardens.
Stobs Camp Siding: A lamp bracket is still attached to the post marking the end of Stobs Camp sidings headshunt. At this point, the Waverley route is behind a small embankment to the left. View south in March 2006.
Edinburgh Waverley: Replacing the crossover on the north side of Waverley in March 2006 prior to commencing construction of the new Balmoral through platform. View is east towards the temporary access created from Calton Road to bring in plant and materials. [See image 7435]
Pollokshields West: The bridge over Pollokshields West today. No building.
Hamilton Central: A Dalmuir service stands at Hamilton Central on 26 March.
Torwoodlee: Northern portal of Torwoodlee tunnel.
Sighthill West Junction: A Queen Street train off the Cumbernauld line heads along the south side of the Cowlairs triangle on 26 March 2007. It has just cleared the level crossing controlling access to the works site for the new MDU and signalling centre.
Blackford: 170 heads north past Carsebreck Loch south of Blackford. A curlers platform existed here way back.
Bridge of Allan: SWT 158786 draws to a stand at Bridge Of Allan. No destination is shown, but it is travelling south.
Torwoodlee: Signs of surveyor's paint in Torwoodlee tunnel on 26 March 2007. Trains will pass through here on a reopened Waverley Line to Tweedbank.
Alloa West Junction: Preparations for signal instalation at Alloa West Bridge looking East on 26 March.
Alloa Marshalling Yard: Westerly view from the new Alloa West Bridge towards Stirling. The magnetic speed retarders are in place for use with the forthcoming colour light signalling.
Bridge of Allan: Guard checks for passenger safety, before he bells this 170 off up the hill to Dunblane.
Torwoodlee: Southern portal of Torwoodlee tunnel, just north of Galashiels on 26 March 2007 - with signs of (at that time) recent tree clearance.
Dundee Esplanade: Out of the mist a service for Aberdeen comes down the bank off the Tay Bridge into Dundee station.
Bridge of Allan: The sun catches a Dunblane train as it passes the cleared site of the old station north of the bridge. Note the new platform furniture. This is a definite successful re-opening.
Clitheroe: 150276 waits to return from Clitheroe to Manchester Victoria on 26 March. Viewed from the new platform built for the 1987 reopening (initially for Dales Rail services only). The old station building can be seen on the left
Montrose: EWS 66178 speeds through Montrose with a train of empty log wagons on 26 March 2008.
Eddleston: The former 1855 station at Eddleston on 26 March 2008, seen platform side looking northeast towards Leadburn. The private property has been extended since line closure in 1962.
Laurencekirk: Interior of the goods shed at Laurencekirk, home of many (soon to be evicted) pigeons.
Eddleston: Site of the level crossing on the Peebles Railway as it entered the village of Eddleston, looking south towards Peebles on 26 March 2008. To the left is Station Road and directly opposite stands the old station masters house. The station itself is in the centre background to the right of the wooden signpost.
Milton of Crathes: A battery powered Multiple Unit. Units of this type operated on the Deeside Line in the early sixties.
Milton of Crathes: Crest of the Deeside Railway on one of their coaches.
Milton of Crathes: Some of the Deeside Railways rolling stock stands at Milton of Crathes on 26 March.
Montrose: Crossing at Montrose, with 170 433 bound for Edinburgh Waverley and 170 419 heading north to Aberdeen.
Laurencekirk: The disused goods shed at Laurencekirk viewed from the north on 26 March 2008.
Milton of Crathes: A view along the line towards Banchory from the Deeside Railways new station at Milton of Crathes on 26 March 2008.
Laurencekirk: The 1849 station building at Laurencekirk which is to be refurbished and is scheduled to re-open before the end of 2008.
Wigan Wallgate: Westbound platform looking east towards Bolton and Manchester under the station booking office and Wallgate
Laurencekirk: The goods shed at Laurencekirk viewed from the south in March 2008. There are currently plans to dismantle the old shed and re-erect it at Bridge of Dun.
Ribble Viaduct: A northbound Voyager crosses North Union bridge over the River Ribble on the approach to Preston on 26 March 2009.
Riddings Junction: Mention of the 8 border crossings undertaken by the Kingmoor - Langholm - Newcastleton freight [see image 24093] led to one or two queries to Railscot asking ...where did the other 4 come from? Here goes! SW of Riddings Jct, near the confluence of the Esk and Liddel Water, the border deviates south from the river at Liddel Mote, resulting in trains on the Waverley route crossing the border twice within 250 yards. The crossing sequence on the round trip to Langholm and Newcastleton was therefore Liddel Mote (2), Liddel Viaduct (2), Kershopefoot (2) and Liddel Mote again (2). Other than a mention in the A J Mullay book Rails Across the Border I cannot recall any reference to this crossing and, like the author, am grateful to Bruce McCartney for the information. A sketch of the area is attached, together with the relevant extract from the book.
Shap: Some two miles north of the famous summit, Shap station building still stands alongside the Down line as a private residence, seen here looking north in March 2009.
Lochearnhead [2nd]: Immediately to the east of Lochearnhead station the line to St. Fillans crossed the road on a substantial bridge, of which only this east abutment remains although another bridge just beyond is still in place. The entrance to the scout camp, in the old station, is by the tree on the left in this view looking north along the Crianlarich road through Glen Ogle.
Aberfoyle: Looking south from the site of Aberfoyle station, now a car park, along the old trackbed towards Gartmore and beyond. This is now a footpath and cycleway, marked at the start by a replica semaphore signal, which unfortunately has had the signal arm mounted back to front. [See image 28487] for a 1958 view of the same location.
Strathyre: Much of the former Strathyre station is covered by a housing development known as Old Station Court. This view is towards Callander from the junction with the Callander to Crianlarich road that runs past the site.
Preston: Trans Pennine Express double set from Manchester Airport on the final approach to Preston on 26 March 2009. The leading unit is bound for Edinburgh but the rear set will be split at Preston and follow the Edinburgh portion up the WCML as far as Oxenholme where it will branch off to Windermere. To the right of the train is the girder bridge over the River Ribble. This was added to the earlier stone arch bridge which itself was extended to serve the 5 tracks that are in regular use today.
Torwoodlee: Remains of a bridge over the Gala water at Torwoodlee, just south of the tunnel. Just over the water is where the Peebles and Waverley lines diverge - Kilnknowe Jct being a short distance further toward Gala. Apparently removed for unknown reasons long after the closure of the Waverley Line. Strangely, another bridge just north of the tunnel [see image 24427] has also been removed, (or rather knocked into the Gala water) - again for reasons which aren't altogether clear.
Grosmont: Heading for the shed. Having completed a tour of duty on the NYMR on 26 March, no 7639 traverses the level crossing at the south end of Grosmont station and runs onto the bridge over the River Esk on its way back to Grosmont shed.
Marishes Road: Banksy woz here... or perhaps not... Rear of the platform shelter at the former Marishes Road station, North Yorkshire, on the line between Malton and Pickering. Photographed on 26 March 2010, some 45 years after closure. The faded painting depicts 4468 Mallard carrying the headboard of 'The Scarborough Flyer'. For the front view [see image 29018].
Grosmont: The Not to be moved sign seems a little unnecessary in this case. Standard class 4 no 75029 'receiving attention' alongside Grosmont shed on 26 March 2010.
Grosmont: D5061 standing in platform 4 at Grosmont station on 26 March 2010 awaiting its next tour of duty, having brought in an earlier train from Pickering.
Goathland: D5061 crossing the North York Moors on the approach to Goathland on 26 March 2010 at the head of an afternoon Pickering - Grosmont train.
Grosmont: Ex-GWR Collett 0-6-2T no 6619 has Grosmont shed to itself on 26 March 2010.
Grosmont Tunnels: 7639 waits at the north portal of Grosmont tunnel in March 2010. Part of the NYMR's Grosmont locomotive depot is visible at the south end of the tunnel.
Marishes Road: Prior to 1965, trains heading south from Pickering on the way to Malton passed through Marishes Road. The former station building is seen here looking south from the site of the level crossing on 26 March 2010. A notable structure also stands on the northbound platform [see image 29018].
Marishes Road: This attractive property contains a long, narrow, terraced, garden to the rear, complete with large garden shed... . Description in 'estate-agent-speak' of the platform area at the former Marishes Road station in North Yorkshire. Photographed on 26 March 2010 looking south east from the site of the level crossing towards Malton.
Machrihanish: Looking east towards Campbeltown from Machrihanish station site along the old trackbed, which is still clearly visible behind the houses on the main road, almost eighty years after final closure. Further east, where the line crossed farmland, its course is much less well defined and large parts have disappeared altogether. [See image 33498] for a map of the station site and approaches in 1921.
Crookston: 156 439 is about to leave Crookston on its way to Paisley Canal on 26 March. I'm getting an uncomprehending stare (something with which many of you will be familiar) from a passenger on the platform waiting, presumably, for the train to return from Paisley to take her into Glasgow. The 'crook' in Crookston refers to a sharp bends in the White Cart Water, rather than suggesting criminal behaviour in former residents.
Bathgate East Junction: White Elephant East Junction....? 334 002 passes the eastern connection to the cancelled STVA car terminal on 26 March with the 17.01 from Bathgate to Edinburgh Waverley. [See image 18357]
Crookston: These steps down to what was the north platform at Crookston have not seen a passenger since 1983 when the line to Kilmacolm closed. Since reopening in the 1990s the former westbound platform handles trains between Glasgow and Paisley Canal in both directions.
Campbeltown: A view down the 1:35 gradient on the old Campbeltown and Machrihanish trackbed, now a public footpath, looking towards the sea loch. This location is just east of the site of the long gone depot and eighty years after closure is one of the few visible sections of the old line. [See image 33469] for a map showing the location in 1921.
London Road Tunnel: The ventilation shaft located on the site of Glasgow's new East End Regeneration route has had its protective covering taken off.. from the photograph it may look like some of the retaining wall will soon disappear!!
Barnhill [P&DR]: Dusk begins to fall at Perth on 26 March as 170430 passes Barnhill and approaches the Bridge over the Tay with the 16.37 Aberdeen - Glasgow Queen Street.
Blairhill: 334 035 calls at Blairhill on 26 Mar 2011 with a service to Edinburgh.
Blantyre: 318 262 calls at Blantyre on 26 March with a service for Larkhall. Uniquely for the SPT network the station building retains its Strathclyde Red branding, the image before last.
Motherwell MPD: The former EWS-operated Motherwell TMD seen from a passing train on 26 March 2011. The depot was officially closed in 2007 with remaining operations transferred to nearby Mossend.
Campbeltown: A section of the old light railway trackbed in Campbeltown has been converted into a footpath leading from the quayside up towards the High School. The powerful 2'3' gauge Barclay 0-6-2Ts must still have worked hard lifting their trains of day trippers up this 1:35 gradient as the line swung west away from the harbour and towards Machrihanish. [See image 33469] for a map of the location in 1921.
Campbeltown: Trains for Machrihanish ran to and from Campbeltown quayside from 1906 onwards connecting with steamers from Glasgow. The road in this picture had two tracks down the middle. Initially successful the Wee Train later struggled against road competition. It didn't reopen for the 1932 summer season and had been dismantled for scrap by 1934. [See image 33469] for a map showing the railway in this part of Campbeltown in 1921
Bellgrove Junction: One signal which no driver wishes to see lit: the SPAD indicator YS214 at Bellgrove Junction, installed in the aftermath of the fatal crash in 1989 [see image 20555]. If activated it would show three flashing red aspects. The surround is blue rather than black. Photographed on 26 March 2011.
Blantyre: Even Blantyre's website is unable to help me with this uncredited and unexplained artwork at the station, saying only 'two silver men clutching a pole between them can be seen heading in a determined fashion for a nearby flowerbed'. Update from David Franks - this is a sculpture of two African tribesmen carrying a rudimentary stretcher or 'litter' at Blantyre station. It was placed there in commemoration of Dr David Livingston - African missionary and explorer and whose visitor centre is just down the road from the station.
Bellgrove: 320 310 emerges from under the Bellgrove Street bridge into Bellgrove station on 26 March. The fact that it's a 320 reveals that it's not an Edinburgh service: 334s are reserved for those. In fact it's a Balloch to Airdrie train.
Easterhouse: 320 320 runs into Easterhouse station with an Airdrie service on 26 March 2011.
Glasgow Central: You may have seen portable digital message boards by the side of the road to warn you of roadworks, but this is the first one I've seen for rail passengers. Situated at the Gordon Street entrance to Glasgow Central on 26 March it gives advance notice of maintenance work on the station entrances. The end of the whiteboard?
Machrihanish: The site of Machrihanish station, terminus of the narrow gauge railway. The line closed in 1931 but there has been very little development on most of the site although some housing has encroached at the west end. However, early photos show there was very little infrastructure at the station and so little remains to indicate what was once here. The hotel, seen here undergoing refurbishment, predated the railway and has long outlived it. [See image 33498] for a map showing the station and surrounding area in 1921.
Blairhill: The street-level ticket office at Blairhill in Coatbridge is - shall we say - functional, and there is no enclosed accommodation for passengers here or on the platforms. However there is no shortage of information with no room for more notices or posters on the Portakabin (TM) which even boasts a clock.
Bellshill: 156 502 approaches Bellshill with a stopping service from Edinburgh to Glasgow Central on 26 March. Giving a continental flavour this unit has for years sported an 'NL' sticker above the offside window!
Burnside: 314 210 with a service for Glasgow via Maxwell Park calls at Burnside on 26 March 2011.
Bellgrove: Spring sunshine and the birds are twittering in Dennistoun on the morning of 26 March as 334 030 calls at Bellgrove, heading east. The fact that it's a 334 means it's more likely to be an Edinburgh service than a local and indeed it is.
Duke Street: 320 306 calls at the Glasgow-bound platform (which seems to need propping-up) at Duke Street on 26 March. The train has come all of 600 yards from its last stop, Alexandra Parade. There are two other pairs of stations in Scotland only 27 chains apart. If you know which they are your knowledge must be its own reward. The red silos to the right contain flour for British Bakeries which makes bread for the RHM group.
Campbeltown: Campbeltown Loch, as seen from the bottom of the old railway cutting where the narrow gauge tracks emerged onto reclaimed land and turned left towards Hall St and the quayside, following the line of the footpath that can be seen here. New Quay, which also had railway tracks on it, can be seen in the left background. [See image 33469] for a map showing the railway layout in 1921.
Bellgrove Junction: 320 321 comes off the Springburn branch at Bellgrove Junction on 26 March 2011 with a Dalmuir service.
Bellgrove: As at March 2011 Bellgrove must be the busiest unstaffed station in Scotland, certainly in terms of train numbers. It doesn't even have a ticket machine.
Crookston: The station building at Crookston suffered a serious fire one night during the 7 years when the line was closed. Happily it was rescued by conversion into housing. It sits on the now disused platform: Glasgow to Paisley Canal trains in both directions have used the former westbound platform since reopening of the line in 1990. Stout fencing (aided by some self-seeded trees) gives residents some privacy from waiting passengers with nothing else to stare at. The fact that it is a hindrance to photographing this attractive building is of course a comparative irrelevance.
Kilnknowe Junction: Looking south east towards Galashiels town centre from the bridge over the Waverley trackbed at Plumtreehall Brae, just south of Kilnknowe Junction. The photograph, taken on 26 March 2012, gives an indication of the massive amount of clearance work that has been carried out along this section of the route in recent months. A photograph from this point would simply not have been possible previously.
Red Bridge Viaduct: Heading north out of Tweedbank the Waverley line crossed the River Tweed to reach Galashiels via this substantial 5-arch sandstone structure, (known as the Red Bridge or Redbridge Viaduct), currently part of a walkway. View west along the river on 26 March 2012 with the site of the planned Borders Railway terminus around half a mile off to the left.
Newtongrange: The station site at Newtongrange on 26 March 2012. View is north towards the road bridge carrying the A7. The original Newtongrange station stood on the other side of the bridge [see image 24342].
Red Bridge Viaduct: Shortly after leaving Tweedbank, trains on the Borders Railway will cross the River Tweed via the Red Bridge to reach Galashiels. View north west across the bridge towards Galashiels on the afternoon of 26 March 2012 [see image 38144].
Ladhope Tunnel: Nothing like a stroll in the shade on a hot day. View towards Edinburgh along the Waverley trackbed at the north end of Galashiels on 26 March 2012. This view from the footbridge at Low Buckholmside shows the tree clearance undertaken in connection with the Borders Railway project. [See image 4022]
Kilnknowe Junction: Northbound trains leaving Galashiels made their first crossing of the Gala Water just under a mile from the station. The photograph looks north along the river in March 2012. To the left the Waverley Route and the Peebles Loop began to diverge at Kilnknowe Junction before the latter turned west towards Clovenfords.
Kilnknowe Junction: View south over the Gala Water from Kilnknowe Junction about a mile short of the site of Galashiels station on 26 March 2012. The road overbridge in the background carries Plumtreehall Brae. [See image 38187]
Hagside: Hagside signal box was built by BR in 1978 and replaced an old L&YR box at this level crossing near Radcliffe, and others nearby. With conversion to the tram system the crossing, the only one controlled by Metrolink, became automatic and the box redundant although the adjoining relay rooms are still operational. A tram passes heading for Bury on 26 March 2012.
Galashiels: Carriageway width restrictions on the A7 southbound through Galashiels on 26 March 2012, with an accompanying explanatory notice. The new Borders Railway station will be located on this side of the 2-storey building standing in the centre-right background [currently boarded up awaiting demolition] [see image 28730].
Hagside: Metrolink No. 1023 leads a brace of trams at maximum speed (50mph) south from Bury towards Radcliffe on a Manchester Piccadilly service. They have just crossed the short viaduct over the River Irwell and are approaching the level crossing at Hagside. The signalling relay rooms can be seen alongside the northbound track.
Ladhope Tunnel: Work in progress on the Waverley route trackbed at Galashiels on 26 March 2012. View south east along Ladhope Vale from above the tunnel towards the site of the new station. Note the substantial new wall currently under construction between the trackbed and the A7. [See image 41638]
Galashiels: The future Galashiels interchange on 26 March 2012. Railway station site on the right, bus station on the left. View north along Ladhope Vale. The walkway is currently closed beyond the yellow sign due to 'Advance Works for the Borders Railway'.
Troon [2nd]: Dundonald Road bridge over the original line, seen from the south in March 2013. Beyond and hidden by fencing and foliage is the original Troon station, built in 1839 and closed in 1892 when the new station on the loop line was opened. The old one became the goods station although the through line was retained for trains avoiding Troon station. No trace remains of the yard - all is now housing.
Didcot Parkway: 66068 at the head of a Network Rail PW train full of concrete sleepers passing through Didcot station on 26 March 2013.
Gleneagles: 170396 arriving at Gleneagles with the 15.13 Dundee-Glasgow Queen Street on 26 March 2013.
Claughton: Welcome back! After a four year period when the site was mothballed during the downturn, Hanson's brickworks at Claughton reopened in 2013 and with it the gravity operated 1 mile aerial ropeway, the last in the UK. A Health and Safety risk assessment has seen the buckets painted yellow but in its 90th year this greenest of greens transport system is otherwise unchanged.
Auchinleck: Looking north through Auchinleck station on 26 March 2015. When Auchinleck reopened in 1984, the footbridge came from Crookston, which had closed the previous year. Crookston itself reopened in 1990 but as a single-platform station.
Edinburgh Waverley: DBS 90020 at platform 11, Edinburgh Waverley, on 26 March, shortly after its arrival from Polmadie carriage sidings with the stock for the Euston sleeper.
Penistone: Seen at Penistone, 'The case of the missing logo'. (Or is that not seen?)
Hadfield: Hadfield, looking east at the closed route to Penistone via Woodhead.
Edinburgh Gateway: A 4-coach 158 for Inverness calls and picks up the passenger, a little old lady. Just in shot is the bridge repeater for the signal at Maybury. This is a new (to me) sort that shows clear in green, but perhaps oddly the other aspect is still white. Photographed 26/03/2017.
Haymarket: The Haymarket milepost now has an explanatory poster now in place.
Bothwell Junction: View south of the site of Bothwell Junction today. The line from Bothwell station ran through the houses and gardens on the right and continued behind the camera towards Uddingston East. To the left, the line which forked off to run north east towards Whifflet almost followed the bend in the Hume Drive. In between was a series sets of points leading to sidings.
Berkhamsted: Lower Kings Road entrance to Berkhamsted.
Berkhamsted: North side entrance to Berkhamsted.
Ewood Bridge and Edenfield: The dilapidated old wooden goods shed at Ewood Bridge in March 2017, as seen from a passing train on the East Lancashire Railway. The goods yard actually closed in November 1959, over twelve years before passenger services finished, but has been in commercial use since that time. [See image 58404] for the view of the building from the other side.
Birstwith: A large retaining wall, incorporating the abutment for a single track rail over-bridge, is still extant on the east side of Clint Bank, at the west end of the former Pateley Bridge branch station at Birstwith. The view is looking north east, with houses built on the former goods yard visible to the right beyond the remaining section of embankment alongside the station site.
Birstwith: A view looking north along Clint Bank, Birstwith where, since removal of the west side bridge abutment and embankment, it is now possible to see both the remaining east side bridge abutment and The Station Hotel which is sited across from the former station site to right of view. My wife is seen approaching to remonstrate with me for not getting back in for the Mothers Day family meal after we had all visited Harlow Carr Gardens in Harrogate. She has appeared in a number of my Railscot views but sadly it turned out this was to be the last one ever, as she was taken from us suddenly on New Years Day 2018. RIP Caroline.
Cardross: A view from the Carman hill. A northbound for Oban and Mallaig has passed Cardross and is now passing the the numerous level crossings just to the west. Gourock and Dunoon can be seen in the background.
Baillieston: By the end of the third consecutive Sunday engineering possession, the old Muirhead Road overbridge has completely gone, the steelwork of the new bridge is in place and it looks like the shuttering has been erected for pouring the concrete deck.
Events from the chronology which occured on this day. This generally lists events before 1995, the creation of the website.
|1841||Clarence Railway||Norton East to South curve Act passed. Line to be built at the expense of the Stockton and Hartlepool Railway. Speed restriction imposed on tight curve.|
|1943||West Highland Railway||Corpach Naval sidings opened.|
|1951||Strathpeffer Branch (Highland Railway)||Strathpeffer to Dingwall (Fodderty Junction) closed to freight (complete closure).|
|1966||Ballachulish Branch (Callander and Oban Railway)||Line closed completely between Connel Ferry and Ballachulish. (Alternative date 1/3/1966).|
|1973||Kyle of Lochalsh Extension Railway (Highland Railway)||Ullapool-Stornoway ferry service starts.|
|1973||Dingwall and Skye Railway||Ullapool to Stornaway ferry service starts|
These are old news items which which occured on this day. This generally lists events after 1995, the creation of the website.
|2004||Developers to pay up for city trams [Scotsman]||CITY chiefs are to impose a tram levy on developers to help pay for the controversial scheme.|
|2004||^No obvious case^ for Borders rail link to city says head of SRA [Scotsman]||PLANS to re-open the Waverley line from Edinburgh to the Borders have been dealt a blow by the man in charge of UK-wide rail investment.|
|2007||Train project ^urgent priority^ [BBC News]||A new campaign supporting a rail link which would connect Glasgow^s main stations is launched.|
RAILSCOT Comment: This plan would not link the two stations directly - a reversal would be required to run from Glasgow Central to Queen Street. Both high level stations will remain terminals.
Sidings planned at Kelvinhaugh suggest the intended service through to QS would pass through the low level.
An easy link to the WCML at Gushetfaulds is not included.
|2008||Major funds required for railway [BBC News Article]||A heritage group is going to need thousands of pounds to keep a project to restore a railway line by three miles.|
|2008||Three rail workers^ bail extended [BBC News Article]||Three rail workers arrested on suspicion of manslaughter over a fatal rail crash have their bail extended.|
|2008||Vital maintenance work between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh [Network Rail Article]||Passengers are reminded that Network Rail will be carrying out a series of essential weekend engineering works on the line between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh in the coming weeks|
|2008||Borders rail timetable concerns [BBC News Article]||An MSP raises fears about a potential three-year "gap" in plans to design and construct the Waverley line.|
|2009||Network Rail appoints new Special Trains manager [Network Rail Article]||Rachel Gilliland, presently a customer services manager based in Manchester, is to become the new customer relations executive - special trains.|
|2010||Jarvis collapses into administration with 2,000 jobs at risk [Scotsman]||Railway maintenance contractor Jarvis became the latest casualty of the recession yesterday, leaving some 2,000 jobs hanging in the balance.|
The company was forced to call in administrators and request that trading in its shares was suspended, following a plunge in rail and plant work.
[Railscot note: Jarvis operates in Scotland as ^Scotland Track Renewals Company^].
|2010||New talks due over threatened national railway strike [BBC News]||Talks between unions and employers in a bid to avert the threatened national rail strike will begin on Monday, the conciliation service Acas has said.|
|2011||East coast rail line disrupted by signal failure [BBC News]||Hundreds of passengers were stranded on trains on the East Coast main line because of a signal failure. Five passenger trains and five freight trains were brought to a standstill due to the problem in the York area, Network Rail said. [From Colin McDonald]|
|2012||Deal puts £300m Borders railway on track [Herald]||PLANS for a £300 million railway linking the Borders to Edinburgh have had a major boost after a deal was struck with a contractor to build the line. Civil engineers BAM Nuttall have won a deal to carry out initial design works for the 35-mile route from the capital to Tweedbank. The company has an option to go on to construct the railway, bringing trains to the Borders for the first time since 1969.|
|2012||Glasgow Subway revamp plan to get £246m from government [BBC News]||Plans to completely revamp Glasgow^s ageing subway system are to be backed by £246m from the Scottish government. The funding will provide the majority of the estimated £287.5m cost, which will see all 15 stations redeveloped and new driverless trains brought in. Disabled access will also be improved on the six-mile long system and a smartcard ticketing system added. The rest of the cost, about £41.5m, will be met by operator Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT).|
|2012||Unions warn of ^stealth privatisation^ of railways [Independent]||The Government is expected to rubberstamp rail plans this week that unions claim could risk lives and that are ^even worse than privatisation by stealth^. Network Rail, the state-backed owner and operator of Britain^s rail infrastructure, is finalising the details of a pilot scheme that will see it and Ftse 250 group Stagecoach jointly run a section of the network. It is hoped that the so-called deep alliance will be in place next month and it is thought the Department for Transport and the Office of Rail Regulation could sign off the proposal in the next few days.|
|2013||East Coast and West Coast rail franchise arrangements announced [BBC News]||Private companies have been invited to bid for the East Coast rail franchise, which has been run in the public sector since 2009. The London to Scotland route was run by National Express before then. In a separate announcement, the Department for Transport said Virgin would continue to run the West Coast Main Line until April 2017.|
|2013||It looks like Dr Beeching was too hasty after all [Telegraph]||Baron Beeching of East Grinstead died on 23 March, 1985 in the mid Sussex town’s Queen Victoria Hospital. The railway station serving the town became a terminus in January 1967, when the line that had run through it from Three Bridges to Tunbridge Wells Central was axed, much to the disgust of local letter writers, who had also complained vociferously about the trains – steam or diesel – when they had run.|
|2013||Government announcement on franchising will help to restore rail industry confidence, say rail leaders [Network Rail Article]||The Rail Delivery Group, which is the leadership group for Britain^s railway industry, has expressed its support for the Government^s publication of the franchising programme, which has been announced today.|
|2013||Last-surviving J72 class locomotive on track for busy summer in North Yorkshire [Northern Echo]||VOLUNTEERS have been sprucing up a piece of the region’s railway heritage, as it prepares for a busy summer season hauling passengers. The last-surviving J72 class locomotive, No. 69023, affectionately known as Joem, has been painstakingly maintained and restored by members of the North-East Locomotive Preservation Group (NELPG), in Darlington. Built in Darlington in 1951, Joem featured in a BBC TV version of The Railway Children and has regularly run on heritage railways around the country in recent years.|
|2014||World^s oldest working model railway at NRM to enter Guinness Book of Records [The Press]||A MODEL railway at the National Railway Museum in York has won a place in the Guinness Book of Records as the world^s oldest complete working model railway. The model was built in 1912 for the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway to be used at a signalling school at Victoria Station in Manchester. Trainee signallers used the equipment to signal the movement of trains around the layout and learn the rules and regulations. In 1995, redevelopment forced the signal school to close but, thanks to the efforts of a group of museum volunteers, it was recovered and brought to the NRM.|
|2015||ScotRail chief Steve Montgomery to quit after all [Scotsman]||SCOTRAIL managing director Steve Montgomery is to quit - despite new Dutch operators Abellio saying last week he was staying on, the train operator confirmed to The Scotsman today. He will step down “sometime in May”, a spokeswoman for ScotRail said. The news came as it was also confirmed that senior Network Rail executive Phil Verster would lead a new ScotRail-Network Rail closer-working “alliance”, and start work shortly.|
|2015||Abellio tell ScotRail staff to alter old uniforms [Scotsman]||THOUSANDS of ScotRail staff have been told to snip off old logos from their uniforms when the franchise changes hands next week because new outfits won’t be ready in time. The instruction was met with derision by rail unions, who said members would refuse to take scissors to their clothes or turn hats back to front.|
|2015||Train line to Ellon could be re-opened as part of £3billion City Deal [Press and Journal]||Ellon’s railway line could be reopened as part of the City Region Deal, the Press and Journal can reveal today. The ambitious plans to reinstate the 14-mile track, which would run to Dyce, were first put forward earlier this month during talks on the £2.9billion deal for the north-east. [From John Yellowlees]|
|2016||^Tornado^ on flying visit to Didcot Railway Centre [ITV News]||An iconic steam engine named Tornado has been drawing in the crowds at Didcot Railway Centre in Oxfordshire. The brand new locomotive is modelled on the original Class A1s which were scrapped half a century ago. After nearly twenty years of planning and construction - as well as fundraising Â£3 million - the new engine is now in operation on our main line and heritage railways. She was named Tornado by The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.|
|2017||Banbury North signal box demolished despite bid to save it [BBC News]||A century-old signal box has been demolished despite a campaign by railway enthusiasts to save it. The Oxfordshire box, dating from 1901, was reduced to rubble overnight as campaigners watched from a bridge. One protester said former signalmen would be ^turning in their graves^, while another described the flattened Banbury North box as a ^crime scene^. Network Rail said it was replacing more than 800 remaining signal boxes with 12 Regional Operating Centres (ROCs).|
|2018||Another year of delay for Scotland^s ^bullet trains^ [Express]||SCOTLANDS new fleet of electric trains could be delayed for at least another year amid safety fears. A whistleblower yesterday warned the small number of ScotRails Class 385s remain grounded over concerns about their curved windscreens. It is feared that Japanese manufacturer Hitachi could take up to 18 months to make modifications to run on the flagship route. The first 385s were meant to be in service last September with Transport Minister Humza Yousaf previously promising that they would transform the experience of users|
|2018||Thameslink launches UK^s first ^self drive^ train on busy London route [Evening Standard]||The UKs first self-drive train was being launched on a busy London commuter route today. The Thameslink train was due to switch from manual to computer control between St Pancras and Blackfriars stations. Rail bosses, wary of alarming passengers following an incident in the US in which a Uber self-drive car killed a pedestrian, emphasised that the driver remained in the cab at all times. It is the first time that automatic train operation (ATO) has been used on the mainline rail network, though automated trains are in use on the Victoria, Northern and Jubilee Tube lines.|