Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway.
This was the junction from which the 1828 Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway was extended south in 1834 by the Wishaw and Coltness Railway. From the same junction the Rosehall Railway ran south to the Rosehall Colliery.
In 1845 the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway was extended south to Whifflet South Junction on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway, bypassing the congested Coatbridge portion of the M&K and the level crossings in the town (these remained a problem until a deviation opened as late as 1872) and putting the two companies in direct communication rather than going via the M&K. Around this time Whifflat Junction may have been renamed Whifflet North Junction.
A signalbox opened in 1904 on the east side of junction (and south of Whifflet [NB] station).
At its height the box controlled a complex series of lines and sidings.
Going northwards and from west to east:
- a goods line to Dundyvan Works, Stobcross Bolt and Nut Works, the Souterhouse Branch and the Langloan Railway
- the main line serving Whifflet [NB] station^s island platform
- a goods line to Whifflet Goods, Lochrin Iron Works, Coatbridge tinplate Works, Whifflet Yard and North British Iron Works
Going southwards, west to east
- the Rosehall Railway (which crossed the Glasgow,Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway on the level)
- line to Whifflet South Junction (Wishaw and Coltness Railway)
- line to Whifflet Central Junction (M and K) - closed about 1989. By reversal this gave access to the Whifflet Foundry and ahead was the Meadow Works.
In 1945 the line south from Whifflet Central Junction was singled.
The junction was renamed Whifflet East Junction at an unknown date, one possibility being 1948, on the creation of British Railways, to avoid two locations having the same name.
In 1968 the line south to Whifflet South Junction was singled. The line north to Sunnyside Junction was singled in 1973 (to allow the line to be slewed for the extra weight of concrete trains to the Gartsherrie Cement Works. The box closed in 1973, replaced by the Motherwell Signalling Centre.
The branch to Meadow Works and the Whifflet Foundry closed around 1989.
Calder Iron Works [Station]
Coatbridge Central [NB]
| Rosehall Crossing|
Whifflat Junction [Rosehall Junction]
Whifflet North Junction
Whifflet East Goods
Whifflet South Junction
Coatbank Engine Works
Whifflet Central Junction
Lochrin Iron Works
Rosehall Siding Signal Box
Coatbridge Tinplate Works
Calder Tube Works
Lochrin Construction Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)