West Wemyss (1881-1949)
Opened on the Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway.
This is a closed station, some way north of West Wemyss itself. Initially it had a single platform on the south side of the line and opposite a goods bank siding, approached from the west. The signal box was at the east end. The signal box was closed for the duration of the Great War.
At its height there was a passing loop and two platforms, the northern of which was the loading bank. The signal box was at the east end of the station, south of the line.
The signal box was replaced in 1921, the box now bring on the north side of the line. Following this the loading bank was approached from the east.
The box closed in 1927. After the station closed to passengers in 1949 the railway was realigned on a straighter course.
The platforms remain and the location is overgrown.
To the east of the station was Wemyss Colliery Duncan Pit which was reached by reversal from the station until the Wemyss Private Railway was extended west to the pit. This became an exchange point between the systems which was later severed.
The two lines ran parallel eastwards towards Wemyss Castle station.
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
Glenrothes with Thornton
Other railway and industry locations
Wellesley Colliery Duncan Pit
Wellesley Colliery Lady Lilian Pit
Wellesley Colliery Lochhead Colliery
Thornton East Junction
Dysart Colliery Randolph Pit
Thornton South Junction
Wellesley Colliery Hugo Pit
Thornton Shed [1st]
Thornton North Junction
Thornton West Junction [1st]
Thornton North Signal Box [2nd]
Earlseat Loading Pad
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
East of Thornton Junction: The Story of the Fife Coast Line
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
Railways Of Scotland 1: The Kingdom of Fife DVD - Cinerail
Scottish Branch Line Steam
Scottish Branch Lines, 1955-65
The Railways of Fife