Wemyss Castle (1881-1955)
Opened on the Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway.
This was a single platform station with the platform on the south side of the line serving the town of East Wemyss to the south. The station building survives in modified form.
Several loop ran alongside the platform line and there was a goods yard to the north of these, served from the east.
A mineral loop was to the north of this, the start of a branch which ran north to Wellsgreen Colliery. The loop allowed departure both east and west. Wellsgreen Colliery Line (Fife Coal Company)
A further line, the Wemyss Private Railway, opened to the north of the existing lines, with the Scott's Road Depot off to the west just to the west of where the private line flew over the Buckhaven line.
With the opening of the Michael Colliery Pits Nos 1,2 a line was laid in to the west of the station, running south to the pit and meeting the private railway. The pit was approached from the station.
The station building survives within the grounds of a garage.
The station was in in the north of East Wemyss, around a quarter of a mile from MacDuff's Castle to the east. The later Wemyss Castle [Castle] is to the south west. The station was never called East Wemyss, but is often referred to thus.
Wemyss Castle Gardens
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
Glenrothes with Thornton
Other railway and industry locations
Scott^s Road Depot
Den Crossing Black Box Signal Box
Michael Colliery Pits Nos 1,2
Wellesley Colliery Lochhead Colliery
Wellesley Colliery Lady Lilian Pit
Wellesley Colliery Hugo Pit
East Wemyss Level Crossing
Wemyss Castle [Castle]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
East of Thornton Junction: The Story of the Fife Coast Line
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
Railways Of Scotland 1: The Kingdom of Fife DVD - Cinerail
Scottish Branch Line Steam
Scottish Branch Lines, 1955-65
The Railways of Fife